Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather should just retire, his legacy is set

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His 'legacy' is ok. A great talent, with an average resume, HOF fighter who could have been a great fighter and a great champion but never showed the heart or the will to be one.

Comment

Originally posted by JaYDeuce11 View Post
      He has nothing to gain from fighting young fighters such as Alexander, Guerrero, Bradley, Trout etc. People won't remember those fights/wins , he would have everything to lose and not much to gain from them even money/ppv wise.

If he needs money, only Canelo and Marquez II will bring it for him, but those fights will not add anything to his legacy.

That is why the Pacquiao fight was huge for Floyd to cement his legacy as the greatest of alll time, but it was killed due to Marquez.

the only fight that can enchance it is with Sergio Martinez but that seems like it will never happen as well. With those 2 mega fights realisticaly gone..Floyd will just be remembered as the greatest boxer of his generation, not the greasest
      floyd, nor any boxer post 1980, would be considered thegreatest ever. The sport changed so much that the resumes and records of the greats from the past can't be matched.

History won't be as subjective as fans here on NSB when remembering floyd. He will be remembered as the best of his generation IMO, but his out of ring antics will always mitigate that to a degree.

If he fights and beats sergio at 160, I think he will get a "boost" in terms of ATG status, but it still isn't enough. Boxing just in't as big in the US as it used to be and as such, the current best won't be seen in as high regard.

Comment

I don't understand what "his legacy is set" means. Is he an ATG, HOF'er? Yes. Can he do better? Sure. How about a Sergio Martinez fight? Austin Trout/Canelo Alvarez? Clean out welter? Still several things he can do.

Comment

Unfortunaly Mayweather won't retire until taking multiple losses. All fighters who are undefeated do that, stay around too long.

Joe Calzaghe being different, he got out of town quickly.

Comment

Floyds ego loves the spotlight and his spending habits mean he will probably keep coming back until the money is done, or he has had a heavy loss

I think we will see Floyd until he gets KO'd. if he loses he will come back for the rematch and the cheque, and may retire then, but he makes so much bread, lets be genuinely real, who can blame him for wanting to clear up all the money on the table?

If I could fight for the money he does, I would keep going. I would take a loss for 60M and Im sure he will too.

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
              Floyds ego loves the spotlight and his spending habits mean he will probably keep coming back until the money is done, or he has had a heavy loss

I think we will see Floyd until he gets KO'd. if he loses he will come back for the rematch and the cheque, and may retire then, but he makes so much bread, lets be genuinely real, who can blame him for wanting to clear up all the money on the table?

If I could fight for the money he does, I would keep going. I would take a loss for 60M and Im sure he will too.
              So we agree that with Mayweather's ego and spending habits there is no way he retires undefeated?

Comment

Within five years Floyd will be tap dancing and performing magic tricks in hotel lobby's on the strip.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
                  So we agree that with Mayweather's ego and spending habits there is no way he retires undefeated?
                  I just read your other post, we are on the same page brother.

I don't blame him either if i'm honest. Whilst the gravy train is chugging along, I would be gulping away.

Calzaghe never made the money Floyd did. I bet Joe would have taken his losses for 60M too. Damn, he said he would come back for 20M. People would do all sorts of things for the money Floyd makes.

Comment

nah, he thinks it will affect his greatness. IMO he probably could've been the greatest, but nah.

Self Preservation.

Comment

I just read your other post, we are on the same page brother.

I don't blame him either if i'm honest. Whilst the gravy train is chugging along, I would be gulping away.
                      I would too..I dunno but his undefeated streak seems to mean more to him than money, remember when Roger told the story of how he woke up crying because he had a dream that he was no longer "undefeated"

I mean to me, I would get the last big pay days and start to slow down and cherry pick big money fights, and Mayweather really needs to start saving his money at this point.

Comment

Working...
                      X