Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, was Cotto washed up all year or only after Trout beat him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post

and there's really no comparing the man's prime to his fights now. he might have learned a few more tricks, but he's not the force he use to be. he's very passive now, and he can be made to cower and get on his bike, where he's useless.
    Cotto has always been like that though. Both Mosley and Clottey had made him cower and jump on his bike at times during their fights. He's not the force that he was in the lower divisions because he's fighting bigger guys now.

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
    Hey goldie, is this (certain) other fighter maybe considered a pfp king & the greatest of current fighters?? Because if so, why would we compare him to the good, but not great Cotto?? How do you hold a greater fighter to the standard of a lesser fighter. Furthermore the great Roberto Duran fought middleweights & higher, was he much bigger than that (certain) fighter you speak of??
    Weight divisions exist in boxing for a reason man. Doesn't matter how great of a fighter you are, size matters. Skill can only overcome size to a certain extent. So what Duran fought at mw and higher? Duran is a different fighter who fought in a different era under different circumstances. Dont know why you people dont take those kind of things in consideration when trying to make comparisons. Yes, Duran is clearly bigger than Mayweather. Duran had no problem filling out and being comfortable at lmw and mw. No, Mayweather is not Duran as far as being able to go up in weight. Let's not forget though, Duran took some of those fights simply because he was desperate as need money. Had he been in the position that Mayweather is currently in then his career probably would've taken a different path. Mayweather has had 2 fights at jmw and 1 was against Cotto. He clearly doesn't look as comfortable at jmw as he does at WW.
    Last edited by Goldie; 01-01-2013, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I thought Cotto would be too much for Trout but Trout outboxed him and looked pretty good doing it. Admittedly, Cotto did look like he took his conditioning lightly and the several references he made to the end of his career leads me to believe that he took Trout lightly and/or he wasn't fully committed during training.

Great win for Trout, can't take that away from him but Cotto was swinging wide and looked sloppy at times......can't remember a fight where he looked that bad technique-wise. Had Cotto beaten Floyd, I think he would have still had motivation to train to the fullest but it didn't happen like that I guess.

That's my only gripe with the fight....Trout beat a past his prime Cotto (has been past his prime for a while so it's no big deal in itself) who looked to lose another step before this fight, so it's like beating a Cotto that was 60% of what he once was.

The thing is, Caneo is stronger, bigger and faster than Cotto is and he is in his prime right now. I can't see Trout having any kind of an easy fight against Canelo....should still be a great fight though.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
        I thought Cotto would be too much for Trout but Trout outboxed him and looked pretty good doing it. Admittedly, Cotto did look like he took his conditioning lightly and the several references he made to the end of his career leads me to believe that he took Trout lightly and/or he wasn't fully committed during training.

Great win for Trout, can't take that away from him but Cotto was swinging wide and looked sloppy at times......can't remember a fight where he looked that bad technique-wise. Had Cotto beaten Floyd, I think he would have still had motivation to train to the fullest but it didn't happen like that I guess.

That's my only gripe with the fight....Trout beat a past his prime Cotto (has been past his prime for a while so it's no big deal in itself) who looked to lose another step before this fight, so it's like beating a Cotto that was 60% of what he once was.

The thing is, Caneo is stronger, bigger and faster than Cotto is and he is in his prime right now. I can't see Trout having any kind of an easy fight against Canelo....should still be a great fight though.
        My guy, you tend to look fast as lightning fighting the Baldomir's Matty Hatts & Josesito Lopez's of the boxing world. Powerful too. Now if you can show me against which respectable jr middleweight ginger has shown these amazing traits against, then maybe I'll give some ground here.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post

Trout is stronger, bigger, and faster than Josesito Lopez too......Canelo should take this fight, we'll find out EVERYTHING we need to know if he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
            Cotto has always been like that though. Both Mosley and Clottey had made him cower and jump on his bike at times during their fights. He's not the force that he was in the lower divisions because he's fighting bigger guys now.

Weight divisions exist in boxing for a reason man. Doesn't matter how great of a fighter you are, size matters. Skill can only overcome size to a certain extent. So what Duran fought at mw and higher? Duran is a different fighter who fought in a different era under different circumstances. Dont know why you people dont take those kind of things in consideration when trying to make comparisons. Yes, Duran is clearly bigger than Mayweather. Duran had no problem filling out and being comfortable at lmw and mw. No, Mayweather is not Duran as far as being able to go up in weight. Let's not forget though, Duran took some of those fights simply because he was desperate as need money. Had he been in the position that Mayweather is currently in then his career probably would've taken a different path. Mayweather has had 2 fights at jmw and 1 was against Cotto. He clearly doesn't look as comfortable at jmw as he does at WW.
            Duran is not bigger than Floyd. Try again. He is far greater though. As a matter of fact Floyd is actually taller than Cotto & has more reach. And just because Floyd said he lost weight to fight Cotto, doesn't make it true.

Floyd is greater than Cotto, has won 2 titles at 154 & if he can fight there, he can fight the best there,period. If not don't talk bout Pacman, same crap different shades of dark.

Comment

Not that he was ever fast but he seemed to be a good bit slower as were his reflexes. That style of fighter when they lose a step really falls off. He looked great against Mayweather, but if he's really lost a step then his days of being a top guys are numbered. IMO

Comment

I don't get all this "Cotto looked great against Floyd".....I thought he won more rounds against Trout (4) than he did against Floyd (3). He landed some jabs and body shots on Floyd, didn't do much else.

Comment

Duran is not bigger than Floyd. Try again. He is far greater though. As a matter of fact Floyd is actually taller than Cotto & has more reach. And just because Floyd said he lost weight to fight Cotto, doesn't make it true.

Floyd is greater than Cotto, has won 2 titles at 154 & if he can fight there, he can fight the best there,period. If not don't talk bout Pacman, same crap different shades of dark.
                  Not to derail this thread.....but how the hell do people expect Floyd-Sergio when Sergio's own team is saying they want Murray, Chavez rematch, than Floyd. That wouldn't even make the fight reasonable until 2014, which would be 5 years and 10 fights since he's last fought at 154. I mean at some point, people need to recognize Sergio isn't fighting at 154 anymore, he's the Middleweight champion of the world.

And to be honest, it's laughable that he's fighting Murray and a Chavez rematch, instead of Golovkin/Pirog/Geale/Quillin, and than claiming a guy who's naturally 2 weight classes smaller than him, is ducking him. I mean Sergio has to be one of the biggest hypocrites in the boxing world by taking fights with Barker, Murray, Chavez rematch, those are crappy fights.

Comment

You need clarification? You just need to make a comparison on his performances. The fight with Trout showed a slow and fatigued Cotto. There is always a fight that you can see when a fighter has aged. Cotto is not in his prime, he might have some fight left in him but that performance showed that his reaction, stamina, and speed was not all there.

Comment

My guy, you tend to look fast as lightning fighting the Baldomir's Matty Hatts & Josesito Lopez's of the boxing world. Powerful too. Now if you can show me against which respectable jr middleweight ginger has shown these amazing traits against, then maybe I'll give some ground here.
                      I agree that Canelo has been up against soft comp but I'm not going to say the kid is garbage. I can see speed and power with my eyes, I don't need to be in a ring with the dude taking punches be able to tell that has has thee traits. The guy lands 3 and 4 punch combinations routinely and all the punches have snap on them, you can't land that many punches against professional boxers unless you are fast. I realize that Mosley is way past it at this point but even he said as much. He said that Canelo hits as hard and is as fast as the best he has ever faced, the kid is the real deal. Mosley could have been lying to save some sort of face or something but he looked shell shocked in the fight while he was eating those 4 punch combinations.

Trout has a great jab and good movement. I don't think he has a solid chin and I don't think he packs a ton of power in his punches. Could Trout beat Canelo? Sure. Do I think a win would be easy for him? No, not at all. I just feel that once Canelo starts to find his groove and he starts tagging Trout flush, he will disrupt Trout's game plan and make him timid because of the speed and power. I could be completely wrong but based on what I've seen, Canelo will be too strong for him.

Comment

Working...
                      X