Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tony Bellew Targets a Chad Dawson Title Showdown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing about Bellew is he is an incredibely hard worker. He pushes himself to the limit every single time.

He fights for his kids and he has so much pride and passion. Like I said earlier, it's a shame he's really not that good. But I still think he could pick up a paper title somewhere.

When I first saw him I honestly wondered if Frank Warren found him on the street asking for change and put some gloves on him and threw him in the ring He seemed like a genuine nutcase. Seeing my footage of him in his build ups he seems like a down to earth guy though.

Comment

I think he's being a bit misguided saying he's always wanted the WBC belt and it's the best in boxing. Maybe Suliaman's arrogance will result in him getting a mandatory shot, but if it doesn't he's pissed off the other orgs, who may be just as sad and vindictive as the WBC.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
        I actually think Bellew can win that fight.

Chad remains one of my favourite fighters, but he hasn't looked himself since he easily beat Johnson in the rematch...which was over 3 years ago. He doesn't throw combo's as well, he's lazy, loses focus and doesn't respond well to punches.

3 years ago Chad beats Bellew senseless, now it could go either way.
        Dawson's problem and the reason why is skills are declining is because he switches trainers too much (he's had a total of 7 different trainers in his career). When he switched from Floyd Sr to Eddie Muhammad, he looked worse. Sr trains his boxers differently, he has a different way of trying to get the best out of their boxers, so it's no coincidence that everytime Chad gets a new trainer he looks different.

It's the same thing when he went from Steward to John Scully. Scully who hasn't trained Dawson in seven years prior to Chad rehiring him and has little experience preparing boxers for championship fights, it's no coincidence that Dawson looked worse under Scully. I believe if Dawson stuck with Steward he would have fought much better against Hopkins and would have won convincingly.

It's not that Scully is a bad a trainer but his inexperience clearly showed in both Hopkins and the Ward fight. There would be no point for Dawson to fire Scully and hire a new trainer because he would be going back to square one. Hopefully Scully learns from the experience he gained and understands Dawson better and what he needs to do to make him a better fighter.
        Last edited by Boxingwizard; 11-06-2012, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingwizard View Post
          Dawson's problem and the reason why is skills are declining is because he switches trainers too much (he's had a total of 7 different trainers in his career). When he switched from Floyd Sr to Eddie Muhammad, he looked worse. Sr trains his boxers differently, he has a different way of trying to get the best out of their boxers, so it's no coincidence that everytime Chad gets a new trainer he looks different.

It's the same thing when he went from Steward to John Scully. Scully who hasn't trained Dawson in seven years prior to Chad rehiring him and has little experience preparing boxers for championship fights, it's no coincidence that Dawson looked worse under Scully. I believe if Dawson stuck with Steward he would have fought much better against Hopkins and would have won convincingly.

It's not that Scully is a bad a trainer but his inexperience clearly showed in both Hopkins and the Ward fight. There would be no point for Dawson to fire Scully and hire a new trainer because he would be going back to square one. Hopefully Scully learns from the experience he gained and understands Dawson better and what he needs to do to make him a better fighter.
          I really don't think he would have beaten Hopkins any more convincingly then he already did. Because Hopkins is just too good and to slick defensively to get a clean decisive win against, And against Ward, the same thing goes. Ward is just a special fighter, and is probably the only fighter who could dominate Dawson like that. No one else beats Dawson in a dominant way besides Ward, yea Pascal beat him but the fight was tightening up and Pascal was badly hurt towards the end, and I would favor him to beat Pascal in a rematch.

Dawson is what I call a top notch first class fighter, but Ward is just a notch above everyone else, like Mayweather for example. You have really good and great fighters like Cotto, Mosley, Dawson, Froch etc. but guys like Ward and Mayweather are the definition of that special kind of breed of fighter who are just a slight cut above the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
            I really don't think he would have beaten Hopkins any more convincingly then he already did. Because Hopkins is just too good and to slick defensively to get a clean decisive win against, And against Ward, the same thing goes. Ward is just a special fighter, and is probably the only fighter who could dominate Dawson like that. No one else beats Dawson in a dominant way besides Ward, yea Pascal beat him but the fight was tightening up and Pascal was badly hurt towards the end, and I would favor him to beat Pascal in a rematch.

Dawson is what I call a top notch first class fighter, but Ward is just a notch above everyone else, like Mayweather for example. You have really good and great fighters like Cotto, Mosley, Dawson, Froch etc. but guys like Ward and Mayweather are the definition of that special kind of breed of fighter who are just a slight cut above the rest.
            Hopkins had nothing on Dawson, he was backing up, and the ONLY reason why Chad couldn't dominate more convincingly is because Scully had Chad fighting ineffective and had the wrong gameplan, which is what you get from a trainer who is inexperienced in championship fights.

Scully tried to make Chad an insider fighter which Steward would have discouraged because that is not Chad's strength. Steward would have made Dawson fight tall and fight fleet-footed, that way when Hopkins lunges in Chad would have room to counter. Instead Scully made Dawson fight flat footed and had his head leaning forward, which allowed Hopkins to time him and tie him up to slow down the pace.

If Dawson fought tall and fleet footed against Hopkins like how used to fight, Dawson would control distance and it would give him opportunities to let his hands go more. The problem was obvious, you don't switch trainers in the middle of the fight, and the result is you get a downgrade in performance especially from a trainer who has very little experience training Chad in the pro ranks.

It's not that Ward is 5X better then Dawson, it's just that he rushed into the Ward fight showing too many flaws against Hopkins. I thought the second fight against Hopkins was one of Chad's worst performances in his career. I don't care how good Hopkins is or was, if you don't convincingly beat your opponent you are doing something wrong. The sad thing is Scully was pleased by Chad's performance against Hopkins, which just proves how inept he is. I thought Dawson won just by one round. And Chad was also clearly effected by the weight against Ward.
            Last edited by Boxingwizard; 11-06-2012, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X