Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Martinez-Golovkin, Ward-Pavlik, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Lou completely. Sergio did a lot to get to where he's at, he should get to choose who he fights and the most lucrative fight that there is, he should take it. GGG has not done anything to this point. He needs to beat some credible opponents to get a shot at his biggest payday. Why isn't anyone calling for Canelo vs GGG? Winner gets to fight Martinez on PPV. And stop messing around, Cotto is gonna get by Trout. Martinez beating Trout @ 154 is better than him beating Golovkin @160. On his resume it'll look better, people will remember it, and it's the biggest money fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
      So hopefully Dibella understands when Martinez gets turned down by Cotto, Canelo and Floyd.
      Yes thank you for that post. I was really dissapointed with dibellas rant, so hes basically doing the same thing to the pirogs and golovkins that cotto is doing to martinez by stating that hes fought no one or wont generate the right amount of numbers. I like martinez and all but if team martinez keep their same agenda, im kinda hoping that canelo cotto or floyd never give martinez a shot

Comment

Good insider notebook.

I think Martinez has earned the right to try and score the BIG money fights. I would love to see him face GGG as much as the next guy, but Martinez worked his ass off getting to where he is now, always being written off, and he deserves to make the best of it in the minimal time left he has in the game.

Ward is going to retire Pavlik. I like Kelly, but I would NOT take that fight at this juncture if I were him. I would try and face another contender first, one with higher credentials than his previous two opponents.

I hope Lopez isn't taking the Canelo loss too hard. He definitely shouldn't. He was the much smaller man in there and needs to just move back down and fight guys with similar frame sizes as him. No shame there. None at all.

I hope Arreola/Stiverne gets made. I think that is a helluva good fight.

Comment

Dibella is full of s**t, just like Bob Arum is.

When everyone was saying "Donaire should fight Rigondeaux", he was saying it makes no money sense and that no one would know who Rigondeaux is. But Donaire fought Narvaez and Mathebula, who the f**k ever heard of them???

Now when people were saying Sergio should fight Pirog or now they are saying he should fight Golovkin, he was/is saying no one has ever heard of them and that they don't bring anything to the table. What the hell did Dzinziruk and Barker bring to the table???

I'll give them Macklin on St. Patty's day and because Macklin was the #3 ranked MW in the world at the time coming off what should have been a W over Sturm. But seriously, Dibella is just as full of s**t as Arum is.

Comment

Oh and Ward should NOT fight Kelly Pavlik. It's a very ehhhh fight right now. Pavlik should beat someone like Dirrell or Bika before fighting Ward or any other SMW champ.

It also makes Ward look bad that he wouldn't just fight Andre Dirrell, who he said would need to bounce back against decent fighters first before they fought. What has Kelly Pavlik done recently to deserve a Ward fight???

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              Dibella is full of s**t, just like Bob Arum is.

When everyone was saying "Donaire should fight Rigondeaux", he was saying it makes no money sense and that no one would know who Rigondeaux is. But Donaire fought Narvaez and Mathebula, who the f**k ever heard of them???

Now when people were saying Sergio should fight Pirog or now they are saying he should fight Golovkin, he was/is saying no one has ever heard of them and that they don't bring anything to the table. What the hell did Dzinziruk and Barker bring to the table???

I'll give them Macklin on St. Patty's day and because Macklin was the #3 ranked MW in the world at the time coming off what should have been a W over Sturm. But seriously, Dibella is just as full of s**t as Arum is.
              he's just trying to get the best deal for his fighter I'd love to see martinez v GGG but if i was martinez at 37 years old and only a couple of fights left to build up a nice big retirement fund I'd rather an easy rematch v chavez or fight some big name from 154 or whatever can't blame him for that, why fight Mike Tyson for peanuts if you can fight Trevor berbic for millions lol

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                DiBella always acts like so hostile when anyone suggests Martinez fighting Golovkin. Or Pirog. Or Kirkland. Or Sturm. Or pretty much anyone not named Chavez it seems. Yeah, Martinez is 37, but Berto was in his prime and LDB was still working as hard as possible to get him the easiest fights he could. Some people want Martinez-Golovkin next, some people don't, but the reality is that Lou wouldn't go for that fight even if Martinez was 27.

You have to wonder if he expects GG's team to say "Well we're good, but Martinez is so great, we're not worthy to face him, praise be unto him" or something. Of course people are going to call for the fight because he looks like the biggest challenge to Martinez at 160. You put your guy in with Barker and Macklin but when it's a guy who just won by KO on HBO he isn't well-known enough.

Then you have Scaefer backing him up, which is predictable considering that he refused to put Quillin in with Golovkin as he wasn't a big enough name, then straight after he got N'Jikam as an opponent, who is less well known and of course a lesser fighter.

I don't mind Ward-Pavlik because Ward has fought such tough opposition in recent years. But Goosen saying stuff about how nobody gave Douglas a chance against Tyson is unnecessary, they always use that line when there's a mismatch.

Promoters these days eh?

Still a very good read though, Insider Notebook is always one of the best articles on the site imo.
                Honestly, why would Martinez fight Golovkin when he has much more lucrative options on the table? His guaranteed option is a rematch with Chavez Jr. that will likely pay him at least $2 or 3 million. That is his worst case scenario. He would probably make $500k for a fight with Golovkin. Martinez knows he could make even more than he can in a rematch with Chavez if he can lure Cotto or Mayweather into the ring. Those are the fights he's shooting for--fights that'll bring him $5 million or more. Let's be honest here, it would be ****** for Martinez, who is just starting to cash in at the tail end of his career to fight anything but the biggest fights. Moreover, in my opinion, Golovkin is a much bigger risk to him than any of the aforementioned money fights. If I'm martinez, I'd much rather face Chavez, Cotto or Mayweather than Golovkin, a guy who is one punch away from a KO at any time and has shown he can beat herky jerky athletic guys (Proksa).

Martinez is in a completely different boat than guys like Pacquiao, Cotto or Mayweather. Those guys have already made boatloads of money. Moreover, they bring so much money to the table, they can fight total no-hopers and still make a fortune. The Pacquiaos, Cottos and Mayweathers of the world owe it to the boxing community to fight the best, especially if they want to cement their place in boxing lore. Martinez's first priority is setting himself for life because he's likely got 2 or 3 more years left tops.

I think Schaefer's comments were self-interested. One, he has to justify why Chavez ducked Martinez for so long (plus why Golden Boy's fighters duck everybody to make more lucrative fights). Moreover, Schaefer would almost certainly like to see Chavez get another crack at Martinez. Why encourage Martinez to fight somebody that could have a legitimate chance to beat him?

I also think Donaire's position is different. First, Nonito is much younger. He has plenty of time to make cash in the future and is positioning himself to do so by coming up into much more competitive divisions where the money is better. Second, he is coming up in weight and positioning himself to fight the best in his new division (Nishioka); he wanted to get more experience at the division before that fight. That included getting experience fighting much bigger guys (Mathebula is 5'11"!). Third, not only was this a unification opportunity, but it was also a "road test" if you will for Nonito's drawing power as a marquee fighter. he was matched against a no-name so the entire draw was on Nonito to see if he could fill a ring and generate buzz (he failed pretty miserably on that point).

Comment

I may be wrong but is DiBella a fouled mouth a$$ wipe? And is the article really trying to say that Cotto's win of Yuri Foreman was in someway unexpected?

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                    There really isn't anything to guess about. Anyone that seriously believes ginger posses more of a threat than Triple G should just stop watching, talking & thinking about boxing.
                    agreed....

Comment

Originally posted by hillbilly View Post
                      Honestly, why would Martinez fight Golovkin when he has much more lucrative options on the table? His guaranteed option is a rematch with Chavez Jr. that will likely pay him at least $2 or 3 million. That is his worst case scenario. He would probably make $500k for a fight with Golovkin. Martinez knows he could make even more than he can in a rematch with Chavez if he can lure Cotto or Mayweather into the ring. Those are the fights he's shooting for--fights that'll bring him $5 million or more. Let's be honest here, it would be ****** for Martinez, who is just starting to cash in at the tail end of his career to fight anything but the biggest fights. Moreover, in my opinion, Golovkin is a much bigger risk to him than any of the aforementioned money fights. If I'm martinez, I'd much rather face Chavez, Cotto or Mayweather than Golovkin, a guy who is one punch away from a KO at any time and has shown he can beat herky jerky athletic guys (Proksa).

Martinez is in a completely different boat than guys like Pacquiao, Cotto or Mayweather. Those guys have already made boatloads of money. Moreover, they bring so much money to the table, they can fight total no-hopers and still make a fortune. The Pacquiaos, Cottos and Mayweathers of the world owe it to the boxing community to fight the best, especially if they want to cement their place in boxing lore. Martinez's first priority is setting himself for life because he's likely got 2 or 3 more years left tops.

I think Schaefer's comments were self-interested. One, he has to justify why Chavez ducked Martinez for so long (plus why Golden Boy's fighters duck everybody to make more lucrative fights). Moreover, Schaefer would almost certainly like to see Chavez get another crack at Martinez. Why encourage Martinez to fight somebody that could have a legitimate chance to beat him?

I also think Donaire's position is different. First, Nonito is much younger. He has plenty of time to make cash in the future and is positioning himself to do so by coming up into much more competitive divisions where the money is better. Second, he is coming up in weight and positioning himself to fight the best in his new division (Nishioka); he wanted to get more experience at the division before that fight. That included getting experience fighting much bigger guys (Mathebula is 5'11"!). Third, not only was this a unification opportunity, but it was also a "road test" if you will for Nonito's drawing power as a marquee fighter. he was matched against a no-name so the entire draw was on Nonito to see if he could fill a ring and generate buzz (he failed pretty miserably on that point).
                      I can understand the POV that Martinez should be targetting the big names and I'd love to see him face Floyd. My main problem was with the reasons given by LDB and Schaefer.

By the way, Schaefer doesn't promote Chavez and I didn't even mention Donaire.

Comment

Working...
                      X