No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hooper Says Risk Was Worth it For Aboriginal Culture

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
    Actually, no it's not. It'd be nice if it was, but it isn't be any stretch of the imagination.

Also, you may do well to read about what those guys went through as a result of their activism. They were harassed continuously, and their phones were bugged and they were survailed by the US government. One of the guy's wife was driven to suicide because of it.
    Is it now?

What is the Olympics political agenda then?

It doesn't matter what those guys went though, the point is they used the Olympics to raise their political views, which the Olympics is about.

Hooper was just recognizing his heritage, that is the difference.

to oppose any political or commercial abuse of sport and athletes;

No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in
    any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.

Comment

Yeah, my mistake. There is nothing nationalistic about the Olympics.

Your post is one of the most idiotic I've read on this forum, which is really saying something considering the extreme number of tremendously idiotic posts which are made here.

Now, how about I suggest you try again. How is what I said (i.e. that the Olympics are incredibly nationalistic) anything other than factual?

And you can argue that Hooper should've been banned if you like. I disagree with you, but I also invite you to lay out your argument as to why you think he should have been.

But, this is a separate point. Address your disagreement with me first.
      Obviously the Olympics is supposed to be nationalistic in nature. To suggest otherwise or denigrate the whole institution for being so is inane.
      Last edited by 2shameless; 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
        Is it now?

What is the Olympics political agenda then?

It doesn't matter what those guys went though, the point is they used the Olympics to raise their political views, which the Olympics is about.

Hooper was just recognizing his heritage, that is the difference.
        Those are just empty comments.

"What is the Olympics purpose" entirely misses the point.

Obviously, different countries use it for political purposes.

I get very bored of talking about politics in a forum like this. Your contention that the Olympics are not political is inherently ignorant. I don't consider it my duty to prove you wrong, because the truth of my statement is really self evident.

But, I will bite, only slightly, on the subject of the 1968 Olympics black power salute.

In fact, the result of their actions is very much relevant. Why? Because after 44 years on, the results as much as the act itself very much defines our understanding of the event, based on the narrative which has been spun. We could as reasonable people discuss many aspects of it. But, mine and your understanding is nevertheless influenced by the narrative which grew up around it. Therefore, it can't be discussed as a secular event. Therefore, my discussion of the results of the event is relevant.

I must reiterate though, it is difficult to take seriously someone who claims the Olympics are not political. Or perhaps I should use the word "politicized".
        Last edited by Drunken Cat; 07-31-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2shameless View Post
          Obviously the Olympics is supposed to be nationalistic. To suggest otherwise or denigrate it for being so is inane.
          Okay, if that is your position.

Now, feel free to lay out your case as to why Hooper deserved to be banned for dawning a t-shirt, if you would.

Comment

Those are just empty comments.

"What is the Olympics purpose" entirely misses the point.

Obviously, different countries use it for political purposes.

I get very bored of talking about politics in a forum like this. Your contention that the Olympics are not political is inherently ignorant. I don't consider it my duty to prove you wrong, because the truth of my statement is really self evident.

But, I will bite, only slightly, on the subject of the 1968 Olympics black power salute.

In fact, the result of their actions is very much relevant. Why? Because after 44 years on, the results as much as the act itself very much defines our understanding of the event, based on the narrative which has been spun. We could as reasonable people discuss many aspects of it. But, mine and your understanding is nevertheless influenced by the narrative which grew up around it. Therefore, it can't be discussed as a secular event. Therefore, my discussion of the results of the event is relevant.

I must reiterate though, it is difficult to take seriously someone who claims the Olympics are not political. Or perhaps I should use the word "politicized".

Cop out.

Got no answers so says I can't be bothered explaining it to you.

Comment

Cop out.

Got no answers so says I can't be bothered explaining it to you.
              There is no cop out whatsoever in my explanations.

I will say, the 1968 case is an obvious, though much more extreme, comparison.

Hooper donned a t-shirt.

The black power salute involved very complex political situations.

99.5% of Americans, at least, are ignorant of the political struggles which were occurring at that time. Your profile says you're British. Not to say you aren't knowledgeable of these situations, but it isn't mainstream knowledge. I'm also rather unknowledgeable of the true particulars of the times.

Explain the cop out though. Or, take it back. Accusing me of a cop out won't excuse your ignorance.

Comment

So much 'tard in this thread..........

Comment

There is no cop out whatsoever in my explanations.

I will say, the 1968 case is an obvious, though much more extreme, comparison.

Hooper donned a t-shirt.

The black power salute involved very complex political situations.

99.5% of Americans, at least, are ignorant of the political struggles which were occurring at that time. Your profile says you're British. Not to say you aren't knowledgeable of these situations, but it isn't mainstream knowledge. I'm also rather unknowledgeable of the true particulars of the times.

Explain the cop out though. Or, take it back. Accusing me of a cop out won't excuse your ignorance.

The Cop out is saying the Olympics are political and there charter, that states they are against political issues at the games are just empty words.

You have yet to explain these allegation and back them up by citing instances. Instead you come out and say it not your duty to inform others about this and imply that nobody on this site is on your level of political awareness.

I know plenty about the 1968 incident and the reasons behind it, but that doesn't hide the fact that it is against the Olympic charter. If you can't understand why, then you are the one in blissful ignorance.

Comment

The Cop out is saying the Olympics are political and there charter, that states they are against political issues at the games are just empty words.

You have yet to explain these allegation and back them up by citing instances. Instead you come out and say it not your duty to inform others about this and imply that nobody on this site is on your level of political awareness.

I know plenty about the 1968 incident and the reasons behind it, but that doesn't hide the fact that it is against the Olympic charter. If you can't understand why, then you are the one in blissful ignorance.
                    The Olympics are extremely politicized. It is unimaginable that anyone could deny this.

Comment

In any case, don't you suppose that an act of political activism sort of is suppose to at least lean up against the boundaries of what is supposed to be acceptable? Some people accept authority and order more than political expression. That's fine, I'm not interested in an argument about that, I'm just trying to present a fuller understanding about the situation within a fuller context. I'm not trying to act more knowledgeable, although I am trying to present a side which isn't widely known. Did you know about the bugged phones? Did you know about the wife's suicide? Most people don't. Again, it's part of the story.

Really, this relates directly to the politicization of the Olympics as well. The large power brokers, for instance the US Government, or the UK government, or the Chinese government, etc. etc. use the Olympics for every type of political means. The athletes are condemned for doing so, as they get in the way of the carefully crafted message that the governments wish to portray. The guys who did the black power salute were noble as could be, because they put themselves against the gears of the machine. The oppression of blacks in the US is very serious. They were banished from the sport and their lives basically destroyed for seeking to draw attention to this. To me, these men are heroes. The fact that we still talk about them at least means that they were at least to an extent successful.

Comment

Working...
                      X