No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hooper Says Risk Was Worth it For Aboriginal Culture

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
    I wonder if he'd be in as much trouble or any if he wore both Aboriginal colors as well as Australian. I guess the equivalent would be a Native American boxer wearing his tribal symbol instead of the ol' red, white and blue. Props to him though for standing up for what he believes in.

Anyways if he wins gold, it'll be a moot point.
    Yes pretty much, any country would be upset, its a sort of slap in the face. If you dont wanna represent your country, you cant compete in the olympics as an independent then

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      He came to the ring wearing an aboriginal flag rather then an austrialian one. Kinda of disrespectful to austrialia

And Olympic officials didn't like it either because apparently theyre extremely strick with dress code, being the only sport that doesnt allow participants to wear their countries colors
      Kinda disrespectful how Australia has treated the Aborigines.

Fairplay too him.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post

Fairplay too him.
        Why are you so much on his nuts? you just learned about him 5 hours ago

Comment

The Italian bantamweight wore a red white and green belt and nobody said anything about it. Everybody else has worn white. Oh I get it, he's Italian. It's not political, it's about style in his case.

Comment

The nationalism that pollutes the Olympics is among the more sickening aspects. Disrespectful to Australia, is it.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post

Fairplay too him.
              We did originate from the UK so it is really how the White british government/laws treated them.

I'm from Australia and have no problem representing his culture, but if no one else is you shouldn't get special treatment.

Comment

'I take my hat off to him': Mundine backs Hooper's flag stance

"It takes a person with big balls to make a big stance like that. I've got his back, all day every day, because he's in the right. We want to be proud of a flag that we fly and the current Australian flag just doesn't sit well because of its dark history"

"That is as authentic as Australian as you can get. That is a true Australian right there, full stop, no ifs or buts. How can we be proud as Aboriginal Australians and see the sight of the Union Jack and what that flag has done in the past, the genocide the rape and the murder and the stolen children? I can't stand for that. That's why I never fly that flag at my fights. I want to fly a flag that represents all of us because now we're a multicultural Australia."

"I think the Australian Olympic Committee should have a good look at themselves," he said. "It's just like Cathy Freeman did [in 2000] ... she flew both when she won the gold. But for me I'd love to see the flag change and have our people recognised on that flag. The South Africans, they changed their flag. As long as we are not recognised and united, I can't stand for it. I never will."

http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/ne...731-23bik.html

Comment

i dont see what he did as being wrong at all. its like the black power salute carried out by some black american athletes in the 60's. it sends a message. yes im australian but not all australians are treated the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    What's the matter Freedom, are you sad because you thought he was white?
                    he is white....

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
                      he is white....
                      After overwhelming Browne with a final-round assault, Hooper – a genuine gold medal chance in the division – did not indicate he had worn the T-shirt for political reasons but in recognition of his heritage. The world No.2's mother is an indigenous Australian and he credited his background with driving him to the come-from-behind points victory.

http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/ne...731-23bik.html

Comment

Working...
                      X