Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hooper Says Risk Was Worth it For Aboriginal Culture

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He looked pretty good. Still fancy the cuban LHW to do a number on him. I believe tehy fought at the World Championships last year with Cruz beating him. Could be a good rematch if they were to fight again in the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
      i dont see what he did as being wrong at all. its like the black power salute carried out by some black american athletes in the 60's. it sends a message. yes im australian but not all australians are treated the same.
      That was wrong.
      The Olympics is about sport not politics.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
        That was wrong.
        The Olympics is about sport not politics.
        Actually, no it's not. It'd be nice if it was, but it isn't be any stretch of the imagination.

Also, you may do well to read about what those guys went through as a result of their activism. They were harassed continuously, and their phones were bugged and they were survailed by the US government. One of the guy's wife was driven to suicide because of it.

Comment

As an Australian I can honestly say it doesn't bother me at all. Good on him. Let's face it aboriginals are real Australians, everyone else came from so ewhere else less than 200 years ago and a lot where convicts.

We have a round dedicated to indigenous players and people in our football league. The guy in my avatar and second gif is indigenous and he's the greatest athlete on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
            LONDON - Australian boxer Damien Hooper said it was worth the risk of getting into trouble with officials on Monday when he wore a t-shirt bearing the Aboriginal flag to the ring before his first round win.

[Click Here To Read More]
            Do what you gotta do, is what I say.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
              The nationalism that pollutes the Olympics is among the more sickening aspects. Disrespectful to Australia, is it.

Probably among the most idiotic things I've ever read on these boards. Hooper should've already been removed from these games.

[IMG]http://cdn.*****************/instances/400x/24216588.jpg[/IMG]
              Last edited by 2shameless; 07-31-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackSwifty View Post
                His father was white but he has never met him, brought up by indigenous mother and grandmother within Aboriginal culture. Has legal and cultural right to identify as indigenous even if he does not fully appear Aboriginal. Just need to hear him talk and his general manner to see his Aboriginal roots.
                ^^^^^yup...

Comment

HOoper

Who does he think he is. All big about aboriginal rights all of a sudden. He hasnt been a big proponent of aboriginals back home in australia. Only now, in the biggest stage he cares. and honestly he is no more than a quarter aborginal

Comment

Originally posted by 2shameless View Post

Probably among the most idiotic things I've ever read on these boards. Hooper should've already been removed from these games.

[IMG]http://cdn.*****************/instances/400x/24216588.jpg[/IMG]
                    Yeah, my mistake. There is nothing nationalistic about the Olympics.

Your post is one of the most idiotic I've read on this forum, which is really saying something considering the extreme number of tremendously idiotic posts which are made here.

Now, how about I suggest you try again. How is what I said (i.e. that the Olympics are incredibly nationalistic) anything other than factual?

And you can argue that Hooper should've been banned if you like. I disagree with you, but I also invite you to lay out your argument as to why you think he should have been.

But, this is a separate point. Address your disagreement with me first.

Comment

Originally posted by spthomas82 View Post
                      Who does he think he is. All big about aboriginal rights all of a sudden. He hasnt been a big proponent of aboriginals back home in australia. Only now, in the biggest stage he cares. and honestly he is no more than a quarter aborginal
                      The guy wore a fucking t-shirt.

In a way I'm glad for the publicity though. I don't think he intended it, but the accidental publicity does draw attention to the relevant issue (i.e. the plight of so-called aborigines in Australia).

Comment

Working...
                      X