Olympic Boxing Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
    thanks man!

sidenote I hate those standing 8 counts after a guy simply lands a hard shot
    Same but worse is the inconsistancy sometimes. In the finals with Medzhidov/Joshua had they given standing 8's for the degree of being hurt they did to Savon then Joshua should have been given 8 or 9 different standing 8 counts. He was literally going wobbly legs at times yet none.

Overall it's considerably better than the last Olympics most notably is they're scoring body punches now which they didn't use to much. After these games i believe they're going to adopt pro scoring and are also talking about no headgear although i think that is a bad idea considering amateurs fight in tournaments and have 5 or 6 fights. There would be lots of instances where the winner has a cut or swelling and can't move on to the next fight, it would get ridiculous.

Comment

• the scores for the moroccan and ghanaian dudes in bantam were more than controversial in my opinion - but hey at least when it comes to judging amateurs and pros are in line

Comment

• Don't know if it's been mentioned...but has anyone else noticed the announcer sounds like Michael Caine? lol

Comment

• not sure if its true or not but i heard headgear is coming off again

Comment

• not sure if its been mentioned but the refereeing is much better. More infighting being allowed

Comment

• ****** question but how were things done before the headguards were introduced. What if a fighter had a bad cut but still won???

Comment

• Some boring ****ttt on right now..... Light- and Welterweight competitions

Most of these guy's are horrible. the AM system is screwed when countries with tons of great talent only get a few spots so a few good guys miss out. While these Asian and African countries sending bums after bums who lose by 10pts in their first fight........

Comment

• What a crappy showing by Molina, guy was sleep walking most of the fight.

Comment

• I dont know about the no headgear thing. Like others have said, in tourneys they might fight 5X in a matter of days and cuts will happen

Comment

• Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                      I dont know about the no headgear thing. Like others have said, in tourneys they might fight 5X in a matter of days and cuts will happen
                      That's something I'd like to risk because the reward of no headgear ioutweighs unfortunate cuts, etc. No one really cares about olympic boxing right now mainly because of the headgear and the crappy scoring system. People can't identify with the fighters.

Imagine if ray leonard fought with headgear. Americans would have never fell in love with his smile and charisma.

As of now you see Red vs Blue and that's it. Cant see their faces, can't really identify with the fighter. It's just not as exciting either.

Comment

Working...
                      X