No announcement yet.

Olympic Boxing Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ksan View Post
    I think we both saw the best 2 cuban fighters at the Olympics today, Roniel Iglesias and La Cruz, Savon was good too.

A promoter needs to get them out of the Island now!

In Fitty I pray haha
    Did you see Robeisy Ramirez yesterday? That kid is nice. And he's literally a kid: eighteen years-old. It's not a stretch to call him a prodigy, certainly a natural. If he wins gold -- and he's got a great chance at it -- I'd love to see him defect. To finally have a Cuban boxer start his professional career at a young age would be a welcome change. If Robeisy absorbed the pro style early, he could be a real star. Keep an eye out for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Did you see Robeisy Ramirez yesterday? That kid is nice. And he's literally a kid: eighteen years-old. It's not a stretch to call him a prodigy, certainly a natural. If he wins gold -- and he's got a great chance at it -- I'd love to see him defect. To finally have a Cuban boxer start his professional career at a young age would be a welcome change. If Robeisy absorbed the pro style early, he could be a real star. Keep an eye out for him.
      I didnt saw the fight, I will search for the replay, and that's one cuban that I have never watched fight.

Sounds good

Comment

I didnt saw the fight, I will search for the replay, and that's one cuban that I have never watched fight.

Sounds good
        Let me know what you think. I believe the kid is special. Robeisy's impressive, especially since he's so young.

Comment

• Russian tap dat ass...

Comment

• Originally posted by Medved View Post
            Russian tap dat ass...
            It was closer than what the judges got, Mekhontsev is good, but he has no chance of beating La Cruz in the semifinals, but first he needs to get past Rasulov.

Mekhontsev vs Usyk will be better than Beterviev vs Usyk at HW, Mekhontsev just doesnt look the same at LHW, maybe it's because the change of speed at LHW

Comment

Let me know what you think. I believe the kid is special. Robeisy's impressive, especially since he's so young.
              I will, but man does cubans have a ****ing great factory of masterful boxers, they are the boxing equivalent of chinese divers haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Gee, what a surprise that you'd favor him.
                Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
                lol its not bias i just think he has a style advantage. Hooper seems to struggle with southpaws a little including against Browne in the first 2 rounds. He throws too many lead rights with no jab or feints and gets predictable while squaring himself up.

Mekhontsev will have a size advantage, he is a former HW with good power having moved down to LHW last year. He is a very good counter puncher, combination puncher and he typically counters in combination JMM style. He has much better technique on his punches and throws straighter. I could be wrong but thats just what i see when looking at the matchup.
                Like i said.

Comment

It was closer than what the judges got, Mekhontsev is good, but he has no chance of beating La Cruz in the semifinals, but first he needs to get past Rasulov.

Mekhontsev vs Usyk will be better than Beterviev vs Usyk at HW, Mekhontsev just doesnt look the same at LHW, maybe it's because the change of speed at LHW
                  Judges scores seemed accurate to me. Switching Beterbiev and Mekhontsev was a real mistake for Russia. Beterbiev is just to short and flat footed to be effective with his style at heavyweight. Mekhontsev's handspeed at LHW is still very fast, it was better than Hooper's.

Comment

I will, but man does cubans have a ****ing great factory of masterful boxers, they are the boxing equivalent of chinese divers haha.
                    The communists put together a real system years ago. I have to give them credit for that. But before Castro, the best Cuban professionals were always boxer-puncher types. I suppose the tendency towards that style lent itself naturally to the development of a successful amateur program.

Comment

The communists put together a real system years ago. I have to give them credit for that. But before Castro, the best Cuban professionals were always boxer-puncher types. I suppose the tendency towards that style lent itself naturally to the development of a successful amateur program.
                      I wonder if Cuba opens the doors for Pro Fighting, if that many great cuban fighters with this specific style will still come out of their ranks, or if the majority of their fighters will evolve to adopt a more Pro style like the americans... and of course that will affect their amateur system.

But they could be like the ukranians or russians that have good fighters at both pro and amateurs

Comment

Working...
                      X