No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Freddie Roach's Take on Donaire-Rigondeaux Showdown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    It's true that Cordoba scored a KD with a jab, but let's not make it sound like Rigo was floored. Yes, the punch landed; but Guillermo essentially steadied himself by touching his glove on the canvass.

A lot of people think Donaire is overrated, too. I think he's one of the top guys at 122, along with Rigo and Nishioka. If Nonito scores a win against "El Chacal," it wouldn't come as a shock. But I doubt he'll score a KO that'll shut everyone up. Rigo might not be as exciting as we'd like, but he really is a highly skilled fighter. I think Roach was being accurate and honest in his assessment of Rigondeaux.
    i agree that rigo is a very skillful and powerful fighter, but considering his competition and how he looked against cordoba, I'm not yet truly convinced he's this future p4p fighter. When donaire and rigo fight and i hope they do, we'll find out how well rigo can compete against a real top fighter in donaire..if rigo manages to beat donaire I'll definitely be giving him the props he deserves because as of right now i see donaire beating rigo.

Comment

This whole Rigo vs Donaire thing is overrated. There are too many great fights to wait for that one. I'd rather see Rigo fight Mares, Santa Cruz, Mickey Garcia, or Gary Russell. The list goes on for Rigo. Louis Del Valle, Cordoba rematch, Nishioka, Jonathan Romero, Salido, Franco, Dibs, Caballero, JuanMa, Javier Fortuna would test the hell out of his chin. Any of those would be solid matchups!
      Last edited by richardt; 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I think you're right. I also think Rigo has taken steps to improve his marketability in the ring. After Cordoba, he obliterated Willie Casey in 1. He dispatched a scared-to-death Ramos in 6. (I must admit Guillermo probably should've closed the show even earlier.) Then he smashed Teon Kennedy in 5. I understand that we're not talking legendary competition here, but it certainly appears that Rigo is trying to bring more excitement to the table.
        those were outmatched opponents. after just the first round, rigo have them already figured out so it's just a matter of time. but it's a good start for him if he wanna avoid getting booed again. by now he should've already realized that pro boxing is different from the amateurs. business is a big factor in pro boxing and a fighter needs to be marketable to attract business.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
          i agree that rigo is a very skillful and powerful fighter, but considering his competition and how he looked against cordoba, I'm not yet truly convinced he's this future p4p fighter. When donaire and rigo fight and i hope they do, we'll find out how well rigo can compete against a real top fighter in donaire..if rigo manages to beat donaire I'll definitely be giving him the props he deserves because as of right now i see donaire beating rigo.
          I'm at least as curious as you are. I consider Guillermo Rigondeaux a true emissary of the Cuban school of boxing. It's not too much of a stretch to say that if he fails, we fail as a boxing power. That's how strongly I feel about this guy's abilities. I'm willing to make this statement despite the fact that Rigo is already 31 years-old and is only a rookie at the pro game. All things considered, if Guillermo beats Donaire, I would be content to say that he's already lived up to my expectations. The rest would be gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by brick wall View Post
            those were outmatched opponents. after just the first round, rigo have them already figured out so it's just a matter of time. but it's a good start for him if he wanna avoid getting booed again. by now he should've already realized that pro boxing is different from the amateurs. business is a big factor in pro boxing and a fighter needs to be marketable to attract business.
            I alluded to that in my previous post. My point was simply that Rigo appears to be taking the whole notion of winning in exciting fashion to heart.

Comment

step ya value up more

rigo needs 2 fight mares n a unification or nishioka before donaire

Comment

Yes!....Cuban B!

Comment

Originally posted by brains4boxing View Post
                  rigo needs 2 fight mares n a unification or nishioka before donaire
                  Years ago, all the top guys would be tripping over themselves to fight the other top guys. Nowadays, Mares and Nishioka would rather wait and get the call to fight Donaire. Neither one would fight Rigo first, since they know they might not come out of it the winner and miss a lucrative fight versus Nonito.

Comment

I alluded to that in my previous post. My point was simply that Rigo appears to be taking the whole notion of winning in exciting fashion to heart.
                    i know...and my point was, beating up outmatched opponents doesn't really mean a lot.

Comment

The quintessence is: Every top dog has to fight the others, period! Nishioka, Mares, Donaire and Rigondeaux have to fight eachother! What a strange business, money related world, where one has to state this. In every other sport the best fight/compete against the best. The fihgters. managers, promoters, TV...what a bunch of twisted reality!

If I didn't love boxing so much, I had already turned my back to another kind of sport!

Comment

Working...
                      X