Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can Cuban fighters do to better promote themselves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
    smiliies dont do nothing for me my cuban brothers...but what yuri did is b1tchmove no matter what race you are...he punked out, plain and simple!
    Ignorance is bliss and you my friend are in the abyss.
    Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
    >>>>>>>>>>
    So that explains it. Silly dances .

Comment

They need to make it pop off in Florida. They need to get a big Cuban card out there going. Top Rank or Golden Boy need to have some fights in Miami. To get these fighters some support out there. They gotta start some how it's not like the Home Depot arena gets filled out here in cali.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
        Ignorance is bliss and you my friend are in the abyss.

So that explains it. Silly dances .
        it all depneds on who's judging my friend

Comment

Hmm I think it's more about 'What can promoters do to better promote Cubans' and it also has a lot to do with their styles. Arum was doing it right with Gamboa, having him fight in Jersey, New York and of course Florida. Gamboa vs Ponce did almost 3k in Atlantic City and I don't think there's that many Mexicans in Jersey.

Now if you look at Lara, I don't think his style is bad at all but look at the way GBP promote him, like ****. They have him fighting in Mississipi wtf?

Then you have Rigo, Arum is doing a very good job promoting and showcasing him but his style is holding him back. He has to be matched up vs more aggressive guys to make him look good till he learns, if ever, to be more aggressive.

The point Im getting to is, it's a mixture of promoters and fighting styles. I guess you could say they would have to switch their style up to a more fan friendly style or at least as close to it as possible. But again, the long amateur careers make it hard to make the switch in style.
          Good point about the language barrier.

Finally got that out huh? At least Gamboa was successful in getting away from Top Rank and will move on to bigger things. Lucky for Donaire Gamboa is leaving 126 too. I see Gamboa, with his new affiliation, surpassing Donaire. And tell Donaire to take notes from Gamboa on how to fight REAL opposition back to back to back to back. Not once every 2 years.

Oh oh and tell Donaire to take notes on how to make it to the olympics and win medals for his country. Got mine out, come again.
          In the first post you said Top Rank did a good job promoting Gamboa. Then you say that it was good Gamboa left and will now move on to bigger and better things. How do you know? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Comment

Cubans can't gain any more traction here than Haitians, Thais, El Salvadorians, or Slovakians due to two reasons:

1) There isn't enough of an ethnic base there to market boxers to and make money. They can do shows in Florida and maybe do okay, but that's it.

2) This small base is squeezed even further because of division between black and white Cubans. Many white Cubans look down on black Cubans and don't want anything to do with them, let alone support them in boxing.

Source: My white Cuban girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by PBFP4P View Post
              In the first post you said Top Rank did a good job promoting Gamboa. Then you say that it was good Gamboa left and will now move on to bigger and better things. How do you know? Or is that just wishful thinking?
              They WERE doing a good job, can't deny it. But the contractual situation was fked up and Im glad he left.

He did leave Top Rank, the articles are around everywhere. They bought out his contract. And now rumors are he will be signing with 50's new company which means, most likely, being on Mayweather PPV's (<- that's wishful thinking).

Comment

They WERE doing a good job, can't deny it. But the contractual situation was fked up and Im glad he left.

He did leave Top Rank, the articles are around everywhere. They bought out his contract. And now rumors are he will be signing with 50's new company which means, most likely, being on Mayweather PPV's (<- that's wishful thinking).
                Maybe, but wouldn't TMT follow Mayweather promotions model, who follow Golden Boy promotions model, who you said have done crap with Lara?

TMT isn't even licensed in Nevada, neither is Mayweather promotions. Of course that doesn't mean that Gamboa can not fight. He still can get in. But, it will still a Golden Boy event and I'm pretty sure they would want their fighters as well on the card. Would there be room for Gamboa. Because, they're also talking about signing Dirrell as well?

But, nothing wrong with wishful thinking. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by PBFP4P View Post
                  Maybe, but wouldn't TMT follow Mayweather promotions model, who follow Golden Boy promotions model, who you said have done crap with Lara?

TMT isn't even licensed in Nevada, neither is Mayweather promotions. Of course that doesn't mean that Gamboa can not fight. He still can get in. But, it will still a Golden Boy event and I'm pretty sure they would want their fighters as well on the card. Would there be room for Gamboa. Because, they're also talking about signing Dirrell as well?

But, nothing wrong with wishful thinking. Time will tell.
                  Gamboa is way more exciting than Lara and since Mayweather and Gamboa are good friends, if Mayweather says put him on my PPV they will. I would assume cause Mayweather makes GBP a lot of money.

Comment

Let me ask you this, you think Vargas, Latimore or Quintana deserve a spot on a PPV card more than Gamboa? Vargas was a Mayweather fighter and a not very exciting one and he was put on the card, why not Gamboa?

Comment

Gamboa is way more exciting than Lara and since Mayweather and Gamboa are good friends, if Mayweather says put him on my PPV they will. I would assume cause Mayweather makes GBP a lot of money.
                      But, Mayweather and Dirrell are also good friends. Mayweather knows Dirrell longer than he knows Gamboa. There is the new guy J'leon Love guy too. Mayweather doesn't fight often. Are they only going to fight when Mayweather fights? Golden Boy would want to showcase some of their talent as well I would imagine.

Comment

Working...
                      X