Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can Cuban fighters do to better promote themselves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP View Post
    Old fashioned way man. Fight locally, build a following and expand. The Roy Jones Jr. way.

He fought all his early fights in Pensacola, and gradually built up a fanbase before becoming a contender. I think Cuban fighters should start down here in Miami, build a following and fight their way to the top.

Not nearly as easy as I'm making it sound. But I think it's a starting point to increase the popularity and exposure for these fighters.

this is the most logical step

it also helps to stretch cats the hell out. lots of cuban boxers with amateur pedigrees can be boring, especially when they're beginning their careers and weening themselves of their amateur styles.

nothing attracts the casual fan like seeing some guy snoring on the canvas.

Comment

actually, with the exception of Lara & Rigondeaux...no other current serious Cuban prospect has a classical Cuban style. In fact, most of them are big ****ers and/or KO artists.

It starts with being business and financially literate. I can't tell you how many times the team has sat down with some of these Cuban fighters (most of who alot of you know) and they are not aware of the ins & outs of their own promotional contracts.

As soon as they step foot here in Miami, it's a shark pool full of shiesty ass promoters and managers looking to move these guys up and make a quick buck off of their amateur pedigree. This is almost always EXCLUSIVELY the case with Cuban boxers stationed in Miami.

Guys like Gamboa, Dorticos, etc. are all heavily marketable dudes who've been completely shafted by their promotional teams (and im not talking about TopRank). Gamboa was just lucky enough to build a big following overseas and being picked up right away by HBO when he got here.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
        Good point about the language barrier.

Finally got that out huh? At least Gamboa was successful in getting away from Top Rank and will move on to bigger things. Lucky for Donaire Gamboa is leaving 126 too. I see Gamboa, with his new affiliation, surpassing Donaire. And tell Donaire to take notes from Gamboa on how to fight REAL opposition back to back to back to back. Not once every 2 years.

Oh oh and tell Donaire to take notes on how to make it to the olympics and win medals for his country. Got mine out, come again.
        succesful at getting away from top rank? wow, yeehay, let's celebarte and let's give gamboa atrophy for that..lol..you mean , lucky for donaire , gamoboa is a b1tch , who cant back what he says...

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
          succesful at getting away from top rank? wow, yeehay, let's celebarte and let's give gamboa atrophy for that..lol..you mean , lucky for donaire , gamoboa is a b1tch , who cant back what he says...
          Wanna see you say that to his face.

Comment

Wanna see you say that to his face.
            to gamboa's face? ofcourse not , the guy can **** ..but to your face? id do it no problem

but i'd call rios to shut gamboa up...lol

Comment

to gamboa's face? ofcourse not , the guy can **** ..but to your face? id do it no problem

but i'd call rios to shut gamboa up...lol
              Why would I be offended by you trying to offend Gamboa?

The same way he shut Abril up right? Oops.

Think Im about to log off, Im like 100 to 0 with you and I got work in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
                actually, with the exception of Lara & Rigondeaux...no other current serious Cuban prospect has a classical Cuban style. In fact, most of them are big ****ers and/or KO artists.

It starts with being business and financially literate. I can't tell you how many times the team has sat down with some of these Cuban fighters (most of who alot of you know) and they are not aware of the ins & outs of their own promotional contracts.

As soon as they step foot here in Miami, it's a shark pool full of shiesty ass promoters and managers looking to move these guys up and make a quick buck off of their amateur pedigree. This is almost always EXCLUSIVELY the case with Cuban boxers stationed in Miami.

Guys like Gamboa, Dorticos, etc. are all heavily marketable dudes who've been completely shafted by their promotional teams (and im not talking about TopRank). Gamboa was just lucky enough to build a big following overseas and being picked up right away by HBO when he got here.
                Its like that at any amateur tournament you go to. Bunch of old slimy snakes in the audience looking to find the next 15/16 year old kid to capitalize on. And most of these kids don't come from stable households so their very naive and wide eyed when they see these snakes lined up making monetary promises to them.

They need to start regulating amateur boxing like they do with sports agents in other sports.

Comment

Why would I be offended by you trying to offend Gamboa?

The same way he shut Abril up right? Oops.

Think Im about to log off, Im like 100 to 0 with you and I got work in the morning.
                  why would i try to offend you by insulting gamboa? what i say about gamboa is common knowldege , the guy is talented but pullls a stunt he cant's back..nope i honestly havent seen the rios vs abril fight so no commonet on that yet...

go take a rest man, you've taken enough damage!

Comment

why would i try to offend you by insulting gamboa? what i say about gamboa is common knowldege , the guy is talented but pullls a stunt he cant's back..nope i honestly havent seen the rios vs abril fight so no commonet on that yet...

go take a rest man, you've taken enough damage!

were u beaten up by a cuban, dances?

Comment

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
                      were u beaten up by a cuban, dances?
                      nope , i actaully get along with em...they are good peeps , i see a lot about my people with them...

Comment

Working...
                      X