• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video of the full fight:

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Haynes View Post
      Puke.

Wlad needs Joe Cooper to ref his fight....someone who would eventually take points from him if he keeps grabbing and pulling opponents heads down.

Wlad is a great athlete but I think he is shot. Those KO losses messed him UP....but he's a tall athlete who is damn near impossible to hit nowadays because of his style, and the KO power IN BOTH HANDS (left hook if he throws it like Steward wants him to) is a problem.
      What? Wladimir is in his prime

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Haynes View Post
        Puke.

Wlad needs Joe Cooper to ref his fight....someone who would eventually take points from him if he keeps grabbing and pulling opponents heads down.

Wlad is a great athlete but I think he is shot. Those KO losses messed him UP....but he's a tall athlete who is damn near impossible to hit nowadays because of his style, and the KO power IN BOTH HANDS (left hook if he throws it like Steward wants him to) is a problem.
        Shot? That is silly. He hasn't even been challenged in years. He is a flawed fighter in much the same fashion as lennox lewis was. Manny has crafted a strategy for both of them that hides their flaws and makes them very tough to beat. He'llnever be n exciting fighter because if he fights that style he's at risk and that isn't smart. Lennox was very similar--jab, jab, hold, wait til the other guy is about done then drop the hammer. That conservative style makes them unexciting but exceedingly hard to beat because of their size, unbelievable jabs and power.

Comment

So close. Said it would be round 8.

Comment

not at all surprised, Wlad is retiring as the champ
            odd looking KO, but it was a formality anyway

Comment

I really believe that part of the reason fans don't think that Wlad is exciting is because he doesn't do a lot of trash talking. Prime example, Haye has done all kinds of trash talking as well as other kooky pre-fight shenanigans. And I have to admit that he can be good at it and at times he is even quite amusing. The problem is that all the trash talking and hype has not carried over into the fight itself. But some how fans are still confused and somehow still believe that Haye is an exciting fighter. When in reality he is far from exciting, at least not as a heavyweight, and in my opinion is far less exciting then even Wlad himself. And if you don't believe me just go watch Hayes last five fights. And if you are actually able to stay awake through most of them you will see what I am talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by hillbilly View Post
                That conservative style makes them unexciting but exceedingly hard to beat because of their size, unbelievable jabs and power.
                More than that. His footwork, body movement and ability to judge space, combined with that jab, all make Wlad almost impossible to hit cleanly. I don't think he took a single really clean punch against Thompson.

Lewis was a much better combination puncher than Wlad, who rarely throws more than two punches at a time; and Lewis did let his hands go in the early rounds sometimes, even against good quality opponents, with exciting results - as he did against Ruddock, Rahman (in the rematch) and Grant. Wlad never does. Lewis was therefore easily the more watchable fighter, IMO.

But Wlad has a better jab than Lewis had, throws it more often, and is much harder to hit cleanly than Lewis was. It would be a pick 'em fight in a prime-for-prime head-to-head, and if anything I'd bet on Wlad but not by much.
                Last edited by Dave Rado; 07-07-2012, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
                  I really believe that part of the reason fans don't think that Wlad is exciting is because he doesn't do a lot of trash talking. Prime example, Haye has done all kinds of trash talking as well as other kooky pre-fight shenanigans. And I have to admit that he can be good at it and at times he is even quite amusing. The problem is that all the trash talking and hype has not carried over into the fight itself. But some how fans are still confused and somehow still believe that Haye is an exciting fighter. When in reality he is far from exciting, at least not as a heavyweight, and in my opinion is far less exciting then even Wlad himself. And if you don't believe me just go watch Hayes last five fights. And if you are actually able to stay awake through most of them you will see what I am talking about.
                  you have good points. i watch steve bunce interview with him & he is just a nice & respectful guy. bunce asked him who his favorite HW champion of all-time was & he said ALL of them. not choosing one over the other. i have an ironworker i know who retired in MMA at 5-0. he said there was no money in it. in only his 2nd fight he was brought in to be an "opponent" for shonie carter to beat up in a main event on a local MMA card. he beat carter into submission in under 2 minutes. he was invited to the UFC to attempt to get on that reality show the UFC has with the 2 teams coached by a UFC star. he had pat millatedge train him. dana white was impressed by him but sent him home & told him to work on ju-jitsu but most of all LOSE THE NICE GUY PERSONA. he said people pay money to see animals & criminals fight. nice guys don't sell tickets. he quit & stayed ironworking because he could make way more money. americans do like trashtalking & big knock outs. terry funk the wrestler once said if you can guarantee on a saturday night that someone was going to get gored that you would have an absolute sell-out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
                    Haye is boring against much taller opponents, but I thought his fights against Barrett and Ruiz were entertaining, albeit both performances were very flawed. And he was entertaining as a cruiserweight. He throws combinations far more often than Wlad does, and against opponents who aren't a lot taller than he is, he takes a lot more risks than Wlad does. And both those things appeal to a lot of fight fans. But Haye refused to take any risks when he fought Wlad, and that made all his trash talking look rather pathetic.

Comment

How much money did Dwyer lose this time?

lol

Comment

Working...
                      X