No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Stops Andy Lee in Seven Rounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
    You're right, but maybe you forget that he's still learning. He had no interest in boxing until he decided to become a pro aged 17. His very first fight was his pro debut.
    And that is something I continually say too. Most fighters have between 90-100 amateur fights, before they turn pro. Chavez had none. Which is why he needed so many pro fights before stepping up his competition.

Comment

Where are all the haters at? Jr tore it up, give him his just do "keyboard warriors".

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
        Its not as if Andy Lee was a midget.

And on the issue of weight, I wonder why its only certain fighters like Chavez who get so much hate about the weight, and about him not being a "natural" middleweight. Pacquiao fought fights at 130 and come in on fight night at 146. Cotto was a huge 140 lbs and no one ever game him criticism. Morales was huge for his division and no one said anything. There is not such thing as a natural anything in boxing. If you can make the weight you fight in that division. Hell Roy Jones started at 154 and went all the way to HW.
        The solution to it is having the weigh-in the same day or putting restrictions on how much over the weight limit a fighter can be on the day of the match. At the very least no fighter should be any more than 10 pounds over the limit.

I do see criticism for this occasionally. For example, it was widely noted that Ortiz came in at 165 against Mayweather, but Floyd dominated him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidFire26 View Post
          The solution to it is having the weigh-in the same day or putting restrictions on how much over the weight limit a fighter can be on the day of the match. At the very least no fighter should be any more than 10 pounds over the limit.

I do see criticism for this occasionally. For example, it was widely noted that Ortiz came in at 165 against Mayweather, but Floyd dominated him anyway.
          It won't happen because very few fighters on fight night are close to their contracted fight weight. Most fighters are well above it. I remember a great interview they had once with the late Vernon Forrest who talked about the weight which at that time was 154. He said he wasn't 154, didn't walk around 154 and didn't fight at 154. He only needed to be 154 for the few seconds on the scale. And that is how most fighters are.

Comment

This fight aint over till they release the drug testing results, the Chavez I saw tonight looked like he weighed about 185 pounds, not the first time he has used "speculative" techniques to make weight and gain an advantage like that. Even Lee said it he couldnt move the dude and he was huge. Wouldn't surprise me if we see him skip out of the stadium again without taking the tests.

Comment

theres no question he is improvng and theres also no question hes being very underestimated Hes punching sharper looked in serious condition, and Im begining to see a pattern hes implementing his dads game plan,measuring up starting slow in the early rounds then taking these guys into deep waters and drowning them, I used to think he has zero chance against martinez but now im not so sure he has a very very serious chance of not only beating martinez but stopping him.I chose lee to win or at least give jr serious problems didnt happen....All the idiots dismissing this kid as a bum are eating crow now....

Comment

Originally posted by freedom213 View Post
                This fight aint over till they release the drug testing results, the Chavez I saw tonight looked like he weighed about 185 pounds, not the first time he has used "speculative" techniques to make weight and gain an advantage like that. Even Lee said it he couldnt move the dude and he was huge. Wouldn't surprise me if we see him skip out of the stadium again without taking the tests.
                Chavez's chin has been there for a long long time. It's pretty much why he hasn't been dropped despite his very poor boxing technique and defense early in his career.

I'd go so far as to say the only reason he's undefeated is BECAUSE of his chin.

No, the thing that impressed me the most was Chavez's accuracy. He landed crisp left hooks all night from round 1.

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
                  It won't happen because very few fighters on fight night are close to their contracted fight weight. Most fighters are well above it. I remember a great interview they had once with the late Vernon Forrest who talked about the weight which at that time was 154. He said he wasn't 154, didn't walk around 154 and didn't fight at 154. He only needed to be 154 for the few seconds on the scale. And that is how most fighters are.
                  I'd wager most are within 10 pounds of the weight they are fighting at.

Comment

fair play to chavez - he's got a bit of his dad about him, both in his granite chin and style - the martinez fight needs to happen now it would be a cracker!

Comment

• Originally posted by bronxrican23 View Post
                      The paper champ left with the gloves in the white hummer real quick. Calling Martinez out means nothing. I wont believe it till the bell sounds. And Jr don't move up to 168 career over.
                      I am in the Army and am stationed in Ft. Bliss, which is in El Paso, TX. I was actually at the fight. First of all he didn't leave real quick, he was at ringside for about an hour after the fight and he never left in the hummer he waked out of the field. The only person that left real quick was Andy Lee. You should get your facts straight before commenting instead of spewing biased hatred.

Comment

Working...
                      X