Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made you a boxing fan? Why do you love the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rovi View Post
    I started practicing some eastern martial arts after feeling really vulnerable and weak after facing some situations; someone would bully someone and i'd walk onto them.

I don't know why but traditional martial arts community has a delusional view towards western martial arts/ fighting sports. They always say their systems are deadly and superior to every other system because it was designed by some legendary Shaolin monk or in the Shaolin temple...

They look at western fighters as savage creatures who fight without any technique, philosophy, body mechanics etc. and see them and their techniques as poor stuff. And these traditional martial guys can not fight, can not execute their techniques, %95 watered down systems fully craap, they never sweat. They don't work out because they believe it makes them slow. They beleive in chi or magic for real!

So i had similar kind of view towards boxing for a time.
    But i wasn't stupid, i realized i needed to actually fight people to see if my technique work and improve myself. I eventually started to watch some boxing and mma and little by little realized that it was the stuff that works.
    Not mma but boxing caught my attention after all for ever. At first i started it just to improve my punches but realized that it should be the way a human fights. And it's pretty classy and noble art to me.
    Great post. It's very aethetic and graceful indeed.

I had some exposure to wing-chun, so often I compare boxing to other martial arts, most people I know who are disciples of another discipline and are familiar with boxing even mildly, usually have tons of respect for boxing. It's the mma guys i've met who were exposed to mma first as a hybridization of disciplines that usually scoff at boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by BoliviaChiLEsp View Post
      This fight.

going off mi memoria de la pelea, is that Pac/JMM 3?

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
        going off mi memoria de la pelea, is that Pac/JMM 3?
        Pacquiao vs. Márquez IV mate

Comment

Watching Mike Tyson when he came on the scene...

Comment

Watching ESPN classic, they bought the collection from Jim Jacobs, they would show all the classics.
            Dempsey, Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Rocky, Ali (and the 70's heavyweights).
            Now with the internet, the classics are a click away.
            Hopefully boxing has a comeback, top fighters need to face off, I don't care about promoters and networks, the best must fight the best, otherwise the sport is going to die a slow death.

Comment

Originally posted by BoliviaChiLEsp View Post
              Pacquiao vs. Márquez IV mate
              Don't remember those shorts in that fight, but I believe you, lol.

Honestly, that's a great fight to get you into the sport, good choice.

Comment

It used to be easy to love. Jones Jr, Barera, Morales, Hamed, Kelly, DeLahoya, Vargas, Tito list goes on. It has descended into more of a business, ultra hyped unaccomplished sheltered fighters that we are supposed to be excited about watching fight no hopers. Occasionally there is a good fight.

Comment

I admire how composed some fighters are when under fire from trained killers

If people can perform well under that degree of pressure, nothing in the real world can stop me

Comment

Story goes my Great Grandfather was a boxer back in the day, during Dempsey's reign. Ive heard several different srories. My grandfather either fought him in an exhibition at the Tulsa state fair or fought on the same card as Dempsey at the tulsa state fair. Dempsey was also suppose to have knocked a mule out at the same fair. Who knows if there is a shred of truth to it but its a cool story. Thats what peaked my interest but what really got me into it was watching Ali/Norton/Foreman/Frazier and all the other greats of the seventies on saturday afternoon with my grandfather. Some of the sweetest memories of my life.

My great Grandfather actually collected hundreds of autographed photos of the boxers during and after he fought. I completely forgot about them until i was writing this. I have them in the closet right next to me. Will be man cave decoration once my new place is built.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                      I admire how composed some fighters are when under fire from trained killers

If people can perform well under that degree of pressure, nothing in the real world can stop me
                      Good point. I agree.

Comment

Working...
                      X