Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made you a boxing fan? Why do you love the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid, my roommate showed me a boxing match. An exciting one with many people, food, drinks, it was a basically a god damn party. Of course Mike Tyson was the highlight, watching him knock people out was entertaining. After that loud and fun night, I was hooked.

I must say though, before that I thought boxing was all about long boring dodging fights (similar to Ward's and Mayweather's boring style).. thank you Tyson for showing me true boxing!

Now I'm a sucker for any good knockout fight!

WAR GGG, WAR KOVALEV, WAR FURY, WAR BETERBIEV!

Comment

All the kids in my class were Michael Jordan fans. I've always preferred playing basketball to watching it. Mike Tyson was my Michael Jordan.

I love everything from the drama of the faceoffs and ring entrances to the capacity for sudden and sensational upset. It's sometimes bizarre and unpredictable. A boxing match is a metaphor for life. Life is a fight and boxing teaches you to be strong and endure and if you lose a round, don't give up but make adjustments and come back hard! I like that it's an individual sport and that it is international, that you may have any of the continents represented in a main event.
      Last edited by TheStranger; 10-09-2015, 08:11 PM.

Comment

My grand father was a fighter, my dad & uncles too. I used to hate it, because they pushed it on me. But I gave almost 8 years to it, and binds my family.

Even my sisters know boxing. But I fell in love with it, when I saw Salvador Sanchez stop lil red lopez Twice!

My uncles had to pay up, and still now. We get together thanksgiving and talk boxing while watching The NFL on TV.

My uncles are hyper critical of each and every boxer.
        Glad they are too old to post, people would get mad at them. People get mad at me.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
          Everyone is here for different reasons, some are new fans some are old timers, But we can all look back on a defining moment where we said to ourselves, "I really like this boxing stuff, I can get into this". When was that for you?

For me, it was when I realized how elegant, and intricate boxing really is. The art of being within range of your opponent and making him miss, and or countering effectively. When I realized the chess aspect of the game. The hard work a fighter and his team puts in, and the climax of the payoff, I just can't get enough of it. Oscar was my early favorite fighter, and still is to this day. I didn't realize how fundamentally sound he was at first, he made me appreciate a good jab. Then eventually I found myself at a gym, delved into the amateurs and the rest is history. I guess I have/had some potential, but I could never see myself doing it professionally, let me be the spectator for the big stuff. I still hit the gym at least 4 times a week when possible, and love watching fight tapes, old and new.
          But the more I learned, the more I loved, and as much as I know now, I know nothing compared to some old timers out there. And I always am looking to learn more about this amazing sport. I really don't understand how some people don't like boxing. I guess if you never bothered to watch a fight and take the time to understand the science, but for those who just speak down on it, like some MMA fans I know of personally, I just don't understand how you cannot love boxing!
          First let me say, good post bro. & for me, it was Oscar De La Hoya. When Oscar won gold that was a time where everyone wanted to be like Mike (Michael Jordan) & i did too but considering i could never become a 6'6" black man, Oscar made the Chicano community very proud & i got someone i could look up to as a young Mexican American. Im just glad he was a boxer and not a figure skater because than id be teaching ice skating right now & i hate the cold lol

Comment

Originally posted by TheStranger View Post
            All the kids in my class were Michael Jordan fans. I've always preferred playing basketball to watching it. Mike Tyson was my Michael Jordan.

I love everything from the drama of the faceoffs and ring entrances to the capacity for sudden and sensational upset. It's sometimes bizarre and unpredictable. A boxing match is a metaphor for life. Life is a fight and boxing teaches you to be strong and endure and if you lose a round, don't give up but make adjustments and come back hard! I like that it's an individual sport and that it is international, that you may have any of the continents represented in a main event.
            Good post bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
              My grand father was a fighter, my dad & uncles too. I used to hate it, because they pushed it on me. But I gave almost 8 years to it, and binds my family.

Even my sisters know boxing. But I fell in love with it, when I saw Salvador Sanchez stop lil red lopez Twice!

My uncles had to pay up, and still now. We get together thanksgiving and talk boxing while watching The NFL on TV.

My uncles are hyper critical of each and every boxer.
              Glad they are too old to post, people would get mad at them. People get mad at me.
              cool story bro. Must be pretty cool having fighters in your family, that's a lot of exposure to the sport early on. I get why you would hate that they pushed it on you though.

What a great memory it must be to remember watching Salvador Sanchez live at the time. A true legend.

You should encourage your uncles to join NSB!!! We have some old timers here that are regulars, especially in the history section, like Ray Corso and Rockin'...

Anyway, good post.

Comment

Hispanic family. Julio Cesar Chavez, Tyson, De La Hoya. Friends in the backyard. Gloves. Rocky movies.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                  cool story bro. Must be pretty cool having fighters in your family, that's a lot of exposure to the sport early on. I get why you would hate that they pushed it on you though.

What a great memory it must be to remember watching Salvador Sanchez live at the time. A true legend.

You should encourage your uncles to join NSB!!! We have some old timers here that are regulars, especially in the history section, like Ray Corso and Rockin'...

Anyway, good post.
                  They don't own computers they are over 75 years old. I wish they could post.
                  They can really add a lot of color when talking about guys from the late 50's til now. They hate using smart phones because they have too many options.

Peace brother!

Comment

2002 I was in the 7th grade walking home from the park after play basketball
                    (my favorite sport at the time) when a tall 6"3 8th grader took my ball and refused to give it back although i was intimidated of him I was willing to fight but he ran away with my ball and after chasing him probably close to 2 miles i couldnt run any more. last thing i remember is that ******* running laughing with my basketball in his hands. I was to embarrassed to tell my mom( Who had gotten me the ball as a birthday present ) what had happened i stuck to my regular routine of going out to play "basketball" everyday but instead I was actually doing a "road work" lol i was determined to never let someone take something from me again. did that for about 2-3 months then sparred with some local amateurs my size but much more experienced and quickly learned boxing is a lot harder that it looks lol from that point on i became a student of the game

Comment

great to see people get hurt

Comment

Working...
                      X