Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made you a boxing fan? Why do you love the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lil' Bo Peep View Post
    great to see people get hurt
    The violence is also what brings casuals in lol. Boxing is the oldest sport in the world iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by DJackson00 View Post
      Roy Jones vs Vinny Paz 1995 i was 12, i watched boxing here and there at that time but that fight made me hardcore fan
      What a great fight. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
        Erik Morales is why I am here.

Saying that, I love boxing because it is the American Dream in twelve rounds. A man enters the ring and fights to, figuratively and literally, make his dreams come true using only the two hands that God gave him. Rich or poor, young or old, black, white, or brown; it all means nothing in the ring (unless Russel Mora is the third man). Truths are told and legends are created every weekend for our ****ing entertainment.

God damn, I am thankful for boxing.

Thanks for this!

Comment

First ever fight i watched was tyson vs lewis in 2002 i was in spain it was when the world cup was on and beckham had scored a penalty against argentina to get revenge for his sending off in the 1998 world cup. I hardly cared about boxing back then i was only 11 years old but i remember the finishing punch and tyson staring up at the ceiling my dad wasnt a big boxing fan but he loved bruno benn and lewis. At around 15 years old me n my mate went to jjb sport and brought some fat padded sparring gloves they were like pillows we'd go down to the grassy area and gather all the lads from my estate and we'd all have 1 on 1s. I got really into it and started watching mike tyson youtube videos and also started playing fight night round 3. I ended up branching out and learning about fighters i loved learning about their back stories and how they grew into champions. I eventually became hooked. I'd watch all the friday night fight cards on sky sports with passion and learnt more about the uk fighters. Its funny because i used to watch wwe every friday night with passion and before it came on there would be friday night fights and i would get so bored waiting for it to finish but that all changed. I also would stay up till 2am every saturday to watch the american fight cards. I personally could see the difference skill compared to the uk fighters on the uk fight cards and eventually got to learn more about the sport as a whole. I was late for college one day and they didnt let me into class so i took the time to walk around town and search for the boxing gym inwas 16 at the time. I ended up finding the gym and started training and went 5 days a week it kept me out of trouble as my mates all became obsessed with smoking weed, fighting guys from other postcodes etc. After about 4 months i had my first amateur bout which i lost and then rematched the kid about a month later and whooped his ass. My areas quite good for boxing because theres about 6 different gyms in my town alone. Nowadays i just watch anything i can and watch alot of ifltv videos and fighthype videos.. But yeah backstories and the fact that every fighter has different attributes and weaknesses and the fact that even the underdog can pull off the upset intrigues me...

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
            First ever fight i watched was tyson vs lewis in 2002 i was in spain it was when the world cup was on and beckham had scored a penalty against argentina to get revenge for his sending off in the 1998 world cup. I hardly cared about boxing back then i was only 11 years old but i remember the finishing punch and tyson staring up at the ceiling my dad wasnt a big boxing fan but he loved bruno benn and lewis. At around 15 years old me n my mate went to jjb sport and brought some fat padded sparring gloves they were like pillows we'd go down to the grassy area and gather all the lads from my estate and we'd all have 1 on 1s. I got really into it and started watching mike tyson youtube videos and also started playing fight night round 3. I ended up branching out and learning about fighters i loved learning about their back stories and how they grew into champions. I eventually became hooked. I'd watch all the friday night fight cards on sky sports with passion and learnt more about the uk fighters. Its funny because i used to watch wwe every friday night with passion and before it came on there would be friday night fights and i would get so bored waiting for it to finish but that all changed. I also would stay up till 2am every saturday to watch the american fight cards. I personally could see the difference skill compared to the uk fighters on the uk fight cards and eventually got to learn more about the sport as a whole. I was late for college one day and they didnt let me into class so i took the time to walk around town and search for the boxing gym inwas 16 at the time. I ended up finding the gym and started training and went 5 days a week it kept me out of trouble as my mates all became obsessed with smoking weed, fighting guys from other postcodes etc. After about 4 months i had my first amateur bout which i lost and then rematched the kid about a month later and whooped his ass. My areas quite good for boxing because theres about 6 different gyms in my town alone. Nowadays i just watch anything i can and watch alot of ifltv videos and fighthype videos.. But yeah backstories and the fact that every fighter has different attributes and weaknesses and the fact that even the underdog can pull off the upset intrigues me...
            Great story dude. Thanks for sharing. I love it. Green K.

Comment

David Tua v Lennox Lewis, 2000. I was still a kid, and David's rise through the late 90's captured the attention of the New Zealand public - who are absolutely rugby and cricket mad.

I didn't know much about boxing - but something about sitting on the floor in my living room, playing with my figurines, copying what was on the screen, has stuck with me.
              Last edited by KillaCamNZ; 02-15-2016, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaCamNZ View Post
                David Tua v Lennox Lewis, 2000. I was still a kid, and David's rise through the late 90's captured the attention of the New Zealand public - who are absolutely rugby and cricket mad.

I didn't know much about boxing - but something about sitting on the floor in my living room, playing with my figurines, copying what was on the screen, has stuck with me.
                Great story dude. I need to go rewatch that fight.

WAR TUA!!!

Comment

Honestly? Hajime no Ippo.

Comment

This fight.

Comment

I started practicing some eastern martial arts after feeling really vulnerable and weak after facing some situations; someone would bully someone and i'd walk onto them.

I don't know why but traditional martial arts community has a delusional view towards western martial arts/ fighting sports. They always say their systems are deadly and superior to every other system because it was designed by some legendary Shaolin monk or in the Shaolin temple...

They look at western fighters as savage creatures who fight without any technique, philosophy, body mechanics etc. and see them and their techniques as poor stuff. And these traditional martial guys can not fight, can not execute their techniques, %95 watered down systems fully craap, they never sweat. They don't work out because they believe it makes them slow. They beleive in chi or magic for real!

So i had similar kind of view towards boxing for a time.
                      But i wasn't stupid, i realized i needed to actually fight people to see if my technique work and improve myself. I eventually started to watch some boxing and mma and little by little realized that it was the stuff that works.
                      Not mma but boxing caught my attention after all for ever. At first i started it just to improve my punches but realized that it should be the way a human fights. And it's pretty classy and noble art to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X