No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Please, God, Not Dawson-Ward: Review, Ratings Update

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hitking View Post
    I read the piece brother. I simply disagreed with it. You seem to not be interested in the fight based on it potenitally being a bad match-up. You also seem to want to let the fight build. I disagree with both points. Every fight isn't gonna be Gatti-Ward. And not every fight is gonna maximize its earning potential. Mr Arum sat around and waited for Gamboa-Juanma to build. Now its nothing. And there's examples of that throughout the history of boxing. If these boys wanna fight nown, it should be praised, not criticized.

BTW, when the two best fighters of an era share a ring, its doesn't get any more historically relevant than that. Just because it doesn't have a near half decade worth of pointless soap opera BS doesn't make it any less significant.
    They weren't the best fighters of their era yet and neither was quite in their prime in 93. Jones was a little closer to what he would be at his best; Hopkins still a few years out. It's neat to look back and think 'wow, what we didn't know when they fought' but it wasn't like it was a clash of greats in their peak.

As to this, sorry, I just watched Dawson in with a punch and clutch two straight. If they were going to fight based on what they can actually draw, so be it. Instead, we'll see millions from a network to make it happen in front of a paper house (anywhere outside Oaktown), meaning they might not be able to afford the better action stuff later.

Sorry. I can wait on this.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      You should have read the piece instead of just the headline. Also, no one thought Hopkins-Jones I would suck when it happened and it isn't that historically significant. It's more of a 'here's two great fighters facing off before they quite emerged' type thing.

Dawson-Ward is fine...later. At least a couple fights later than now.

lol are you kidding?

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        lol are you kidding?
        About what?

Comment

Now or later.

I don't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Now or later.

I don't mind.
            After two fights with Hopkins, I want to see Dawson in with somebody who, going in, I know I'm not going to be staring at my watch a few rounds after the opening bell. I can stand later on this one. It's just an ugly style clash.

Comment

About what?

ward and dawson "simmering"

it's a pretty laughable concept in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                ward and dawson "simmering"

it's a pretty laughable concept in my eyes.
                I don't think I said simmer. I don't think it will ever be a big $ fight minus whatever network subsidy they get. I am advocating they fight more aesthetically pleasing fights than each other period and, if they must fight, do it with some space from the Hopkins fights.

Dawson-Ward would be better than those, but not by enough to make me want to see it right now. If it happens, so be it. As noted, respect who and what they are as champions, but that doesn't make it necessary, especially considering how few dates, and how little relative $, there is.

This, if it happened now, would be the type of fight I love to see on PPV. let it be purchased by the interested because it likely won't make a single fan on subscriber budget.

Comment

They weren't the best fighters of their era yet and neither was quite in their prime in 93. Jones was a little closer to what he would be at his best; Hopkins still a few years out. It's neat to look back and think 'wow, what we didn't know when they fought' but it wasn't like it was a clash of greats in their peak.

As to this, sorry, I just watched Dawson in with a punch and clutch two straight. If they were going to fight based on what they can actually draw, so be it. Instead, we'll see millions from a network to make it happen in front of a paper house (anywhere outside Oaktown), meaning they might not be able to afford the better action stuff later.

Sorry. I can wait on this.
                  After their fight in 93, neither RJ or BHop lost for over a decade. So who's to say they weremt in their primes or physical peaks when they fought? And it was simply US that didn't recognize their greatness.

Comment

After two fights with Hopkins, I want to see Dawson in with somebody who, going in, I know I'm not going to be staring at my watch a few rounds after the opening bell. I can stand later on this one. It's just an ugly style clash.

it will always be an ugly style clash. dawson is 30 in july. ward is 28.

if they need to they can always fight again down the road.

why wait?

there's nothing to wait for. it's not getting any bigger money wise. not with shaw and joe goosen
                    they're prime as they will ever be. they want the fight

it could surprise us and turn into a good one. dawson has never been in there with anybody like andre ward, and ward's certainly never seen a boxer as long and skilled as dawson.

anything can happen in a competitive fight. these aren't tiny guys, either. both can punch some.

Comment

Dawson's the man at 175 and Ward is the man at 168.

Both are in their prime.

I'd love to see it right now. Whether it be boring or not it's a fight that needs to happen.

Down the line, or now.

Comment

Working...
                      X