Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

**** Marcos Maidan vs Devon Alexander + Broner vs Perez RBR and discussion thread****

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IIG View Post
    Same here. I've been saying Devon by easy, wide UD all week, and of course nobody listened. But I didn't listen when people were saying Broner was the truth. I thought a fast, smart fighter like Perez would expose Broner. I came away very impressed tonight and a fan of Broner's work in the ring.
    Check out my sig..i got like 10 Mill on Broner and I have 600 Mill on Devon (ran out of room so the devon bet is in my bets thread). Good night of fights for me
    Last edited by mathed; 02-26-2012, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Alexander would never beat Bradley because Bradley is better at Alexander's style than Alexander is.

That really only says so much about Bradley though, not because Alexander isn't a quality guy but it is a horrendous match-up for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        I know a lot of people will say I'm just being a d*ck, but most the improvements Alexander showed had more to do with Maidana to me.
        I have to agree with you. They picked a great one for Devon. There are no surprises when it comes to Maidana. He is a come forward, little to no upper body or head movement, brawler who is looking to tear your head off. Devon did the same thing over and over again - a one/two, clinch and step back out of clinch and hit and then clinch again. Everytime they clinch, and then get broken up by the ref... Maidana has to reset again, and Maidana's stamina always goes downhill and is slow as hell TBH.

It's even more irritating hearing the coach tell his fighter to keep clinching, I'm sorry but I can't stand watching those kinds of fights and it turns me off those type of fighters. It's effective for guys like Devon, but it sure in the hell ain't entertaining to me. Kindof like a "win at all costs/whatever it takes" motto. Maidana was basically just a heavy bag for Devon tonight. Don't get me wrong, you can see the kid's got some special skills.... I'd just much rather see them in longer then 2 second increments. I think Devon would certainly lose to Amir Khan... but I think I'd like to see that fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I felt his footwork was vastly improved in this fight.

Don't know if you notice that but I felt it was much much better in comparison to his last fight.

How much that has to do with Maidana I don't know, though.
          Yeah definitely. He used his footwork so much better to keep turning Maidana and to create openings and counters, and while Maidana isn't a hard guy to turn or offset, I haven't seen anyone else do it as effectively nor have I seen Alexander use them in any previous fight. That's what I meant with the angles.

Just that little quick half step back which allowed him to constantly land that counter left as Maidana bent over reaching in with his right was a great example too.

I saw a very improved fighter. We won't see how improved though until he gets back in with a guy that is tricky like Bradley or whatever. It's one thing to do it against Maidana but it's altogether different against someone with good defence and footwork themselves. It would be good to see him fulfil his potential though. We need more good fighters at 147. It's a bit top heavy with only Pac and Mayweather standing out there alone and such a gap from them to Berto, Ortiz etc. Maybe Alexander can be the start of bringing the gap....maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            I want to go back to the last post we had about Broner and Mayweather, I don't feel like going back and searching for it.

I know Floyd is a great athlete one of the finest in the sport in a long time but he has always been a guy that wanted to put himself in the best possible position and the guy across from him at his biggest disadvantage.

Broner doesn't have that same approach, he basically comes in puts his nuts on the table and says lets see what you can do about this. Even if he emulates Floyd's moves the reasons behind doing them are different, now they can still be effective but it is not the same.

To me his appraoch is much more like Jones than Mayweather even if he uses Floyd's tricks.
            People keep saying that broker is like Floyd with power and balls so far, or similar to what you've said above.

What they forget though is that when Floyd was 22 and at 130 he was considered a power puncher. Aggressive, able to be hit (yes, it's true, commentators used to call his defence leaky early on), and willing to get in and brawl and just get the guy out of there.

If anything, Mayweather had the same power and was even more aggressive than Broner and more willing to take chances and fight.

It's only since moving to 147 that he's really become the guy that people know today. Broner is a little bit more like today's Floyd than he is like the 130 version. He has been outfought and out hustled in some fights so far. He's only really coming in to his own now in the last year or two. You never saw Mayweather fall into an offensive lull at 130. I have seen that of Broner numerous times already.

He's still young though and still learning and looks very good lately. Look forward to seeing more of him. Hopefully he doesn't emulate Floyd is all areas and stays aggressive and busy.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              I know a lot of people will say I'm just being a d*ck, but most the improvements Alexander showed had more to do with Maidana to me.
              Yeah, definitely some of the reason he looked so good. But even against Urango he didn't show these small improvements. They were small adjustments but it's not like a pro of Alexanders level can change dramatically. He'll always be very like he has been but use minor adjustments can make or break a fighter. I think Alexander could easily have been hit a lot more without making some of those small adjustments and then it would have been a much harder fight for him.

We still have to see whether he can change against the top guys though. That will be the real test. He looked good though against a very good fighter, if a limited one.

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                People keep saying that broker is like Floyd with power and balls so far, or similar to what you've said above.

What they forget though is that when Floyd was 22 and at 130 he was considered a power puncher. Aggressive, able to be hit (yes, it's true, commentators used to call his defence leaky early on), and willing to get in and brawl and just get the guy out of there.

If anything, Mayweather had the same power and was even more aggressive than Broner and more willing to take chances and fight.

It's only since moving to 147 that he's really become the guy that people know today. Broner is a little bit more like today's Floyd than he is like the 130 version. He has been outfought and out hustled in some fights so far. He's only really coming in to his own now in the last year or two. You never saw Mayweather fall into an offensive lull at 130. I have seen that of Broner numerous times already.

He's still young though and still learning and looks very good lately. Look forward to seeing more of him. Hopefully he doesn't emulate Floyd is all areas and stays aggressive and busy.
                Boner stalks with his wide stance ready to light u up like roy did. Floyd was on his toes seeking and destroying more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                  Boner stalks with his wide stance ready to light u up like roy did. Floyd was on his toes seeking and destroying more.
                  He also has two stances, the high guard and the sholder roll defence.

He's inside game is identical to Mayweather.

His jabs to the body and just like Mayweathers.

He uses his elbows up close like Mayweather does.

He lays on the ropes and rolls his sholders to avoid punches like Mayweather.

He paws with the jab at times to set up his punches.

He outright states that he bases his style off Mayweather's.

I mean, it's just so abundantly clear that his style is very very similar to Mayweather's.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    He also has two stances, the high guard and the sholder roll defence.

He's inside game is identical to Mayweather.

His jabs to the body and just like Mayweathers.

He uses his elbows up close like Mayweather does.

He lays on the ropes and rolls his sholders to avoid punches like Mayweather.

He paws with the jab at times to set up his punches.

He outright states that he bases his style off Mayweather's.

I mean, it's just so abundantly clear that his style is very very similar to Mayweather's.
                    Spot on. Even the kid's mannerisms and the stuff he says is identical to Floyd. I can't wait to see him fight again. I was there live and St.Louis as a whole really liked him.

Comment

• Originally posted by COACH WEBB View Post
                      Spot on. Even the kid's mannerisms and the stuff he says is identical to Floyd. I can't wait to see him fight again. I was there live and St.Louis as a whole really liked him.
                      I thought I was going crazy for a second

I simply cannot see how Broner's style is not blatantly an obvious and glaring similarity to Mayweather's.

That's without the fact that Broner openly states he bases his style on Floyd's style and Floyd is his idol.

I definitely don't think he fights at all like Roy Jones.

Comment

Working...
                      X