No announcement yet.

What do you think of Deontay Wilder?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
    He needs 2 more years before he is ready. He's similar to Chavez Jr. in that he had almost no amateur background and has fought often against limited opposition since turning pro.

A lot of people were critical of the way Chavez was brought along having more than 40 fights before he met a legit challenger but it worked for him.

Wilder probably needs about 35 fights before he will even be ready at the pace he is going. People will be hard on him for it, but he is a lot better off if he isn't rushed into a fight he isn't ready for and gets knocked out.

Wilder should be able to put on about 20 lbs of muscle without giving away his athletic advantages. Right now he is just too fragile looking.

If they fought right now Seth Mitchell would go straight through him in 2 rounds, but I also see Wilder as having as high or even higher upside than Mitchell does.
    I'm cool with that. Just wish people would stop talking about him as this next great HW when he hasn't accomplished a damn thing yet in the pros.

Comment

I would like to see him step up by now. I mean I know he didn't have the most extensive amateur career but when is he going to fight guys who can take his right hand and keep coming? It's only then when we can see how good he is or can be IMO. Right now he's too protected.

Saying that, he looks like he has a good right hand and sets it up pretty good behind the jab. But again, it's against guys who really allow him to do it.

Comment

Looks good on paper and he is good... but i'd like to see him take on better competition within the next year.

Comment

could be a decent journeymen. he has nice amateur accolades but he got dropped by harold sconiers. he needs to put on some weight. i haven't seen him in awhile but he was always pretty lanky. i'm not sure he has a heavyweight beard. he needs better fights now. look at what guys with experience are doing in europe. they are getting promoted better i guess which has led to some nice paydays. wilder is still an undercard boxer. he should be fighting for a regional belt by now. he should have been in some 10 round fights by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
            I don't see much talent or skill when I watch him fight the cherrypicked opposition he has faced, he is too small for HW and should go down to 200 if anything.

he is 6'7" with an 84 inch reach..

he's clearly in shape, too

not a CW by any stretch.

he's the most talented HW prospect out there
            that being said, he barely knows how to box. i think he had lest than 20-30 am fights before he qualified for the olympics (and won bronze,)

that's talent, but that's also a guy with next to zero experience.

Comment

Manny Pacquiao: Deontay Wilder is a good fighter, but he's only gettin so much hype because he's African American...

Seriously though he could be good but who knows. I'd say Perez, Price and Mitchell were all ahead of him at the moment. He should fight someone like Helenius next.... Or Audley.

Comment

Originally posted by grape drink View Post
                He is better than Vitali... look

vitali KO%: 88,89

wilder KO%: 100%

100%
                Are you serious? VItali has knocked out top 10 contenders. Deonray Wilder has knocked out bums. What a ridiculous comment!

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  he is 6'7" with an 84 inch reach..

he's clearly in shape, too

not a CW by any stretch.

he's the most talented HW prospect out there
                  that being said, he barely knows how to box. i think he had lest than 20-30 am fights before he qualified for the olympics (and won bronze,)

that's talent, but that's also a guy with next to zero experience.
                  With a body like that he could easily sweat off 10-15 lbs to make the 200lb limit, I have seen no evidence of this talent you speak of.

Comment

Too early to tell, but I'll keep an eye on him he may turn out to be a good one.

But yeah up the comp this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                      With a body like that he could easily sweat off 10-15 lbs to make the 200lb limit, I have seen no evidence of this talent you speak of.

again, i really dont think thats either practical or smart. he's not going to be able to do that forever even if he can do it now, which i tend to doubt, unless he literally sweats it out, which is becoming more common, but is far from a habit you want to get into..

he's going to be a HW, and he should learn against other HW.

if there's 15-20 lbs to lose there it's literally all coming out in the sauna the week of the fight, which is a horrible idea.

he's got a body type simmilar to many of the past HW juggernauts that will fill out into his early 30's

he has a huge right hand. fast hands. fast feet.

and being 6'7" with an 84 inch reach is possessing talent. you bring that with you to the sport.

guys that size are usually very uncoordinated. he is not. he was a star athlete in high school and was a prospect for the university of alabama

again, he won the broze medal at the olympics after 21 amateur fights

if you dont do that with talent you do it with luck. it was not luck.

if you dont see the talent that's fine
                      but it is there.
                      Last edited by New England; 02-14-2012, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X