Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Yuriorkis Gamboa Hires Emanuel Steward as New Trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think this is a good idea.He's perfectly fine where he is at.

Comment

I don't like the combination but u never know how its gonna work out until he fights

Comment

Does Gamboa even know english?

Comment

Jab, run, jab, run. Jab, hold. Run, hold. Jab...jab....then jab.

Comment

This combination could result to incredible things..........Rockin'

Comment

I don't really think Steward is a right fit for Gamboa

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingScenery View Post
                what made you think this? lack of development? Honestly I'm a bit surprised and I'm not sure this pairing is all too great, but good luck to the both of them
                Ismael Salas has spent nearly his entire career training amateur fighters. Gamboa took him on about half-way through his career (presumably) because Ismael was his old trainer. I think it's clear that Salas brought positive changes to Yuri's game; Gamboa's defense visibly improved after Ismael came on board. However, in Yuri's last couple of fights I got the feeling that, in order for him to continue his evolution as a pro, he needed a tested professional trainer.

Is Emanuel Steward the answer? I really don't know. If you asked me which high-profile trainer would be best for Gamboa, I'd immediately think Freddie Roach. I think Gamboa's talents are similar to Pacquiao's, and Freddie seems to have had some success with Manny (tongue firmly in cheek). The trouble with Roach is that he seems to have his hands full. I don't know how much time he can actually devote to Yuri. I just hope the current choice works out....

Comment

Originally posted by retnuocllup View Post
                  I don't really think Steward is a right fit for Gamboa
                  If Gamboa could insert some good Detroit boxing into his system there is no way this could hurt him. It's slickness and slyness could be explosive if connected to Gamboas fists........ Rockin'

Comment

It will be interesting to see what Steward can do for him, that would not be my first pick for Gamboa one because he isn't the typical Steward guy, but he is talented as hell and I doubt Steward would really try to make him into something he isn't, maybe just try to add a few elements which would be a good thing.

What would worry me most in the language barrier, I don't know how well Gamboa knows English at least on an understanding level and in a fight when things get hot is he really going to be able to get what Manny is saying even if it works well in the gym.

Comment

I like this partnership,Manny is a very good trainer imo..He will work on Gamboa's defense and help him develop at a nice pace..I thought Manny did wonders for Taylor and Klitschko,I think Gamboa is more talented then both..With Manny teaching him lil tricks of the trade along the way this should work out great for Gamboa..

Side note,I really did not see this coming...

Comment

Working...
                      X