Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Yuriorkis Gamboa Hires Emanuel Steward as New Trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like it would work out, but i'm not too sure. as long as gamboa improves imo, it's all good.

Comment

wow....................

Comment

I think Roach is overrated but Roach will be the perfect trainer for Gamboa. Let's face it Gamboa will never be a defensive technically brilliant master boxer. He fights in spurts and his defense is non existent. He is either moving around or lunging in with his punches. He is not a slickster, he is fundamentally unsound.
        But he is a very fast, athletic freak who hits hard just like Pac (and Khan maybe?). With Roach, he'll learn angles, Roach will make him use the high guard defense, and other Roach-style-of-fighting bull****. That in/out, volume punching, Pacman esque or Khan esque style would suit him fine imo.

Comment

Originally posted by goblin213 View Post
          I think Roach is overrated but Roach will be the perfect trainer for Gamboa. Let's face it Gamboa will never be a defensive technically brilliant master boxer. He fights in spurts and his defense is non existent. He is either moving around or lunging in with his punches. He is not a slickster, he is fundamentally unsound.
          But he is a very fast, athletic freak who hits hard just like Pac (and Khan maybe?). With Roach, he'll learn angles, Roach will make him use the high guard defense, and other Roach-style-of-fighting bull****. That in/out, volume punching, Pacman esque or Khan esque style would suit him fine imo.
          roach would be a horrible trainer for a fighter like gamboa. he would try to make him into another jumpy pacquaio clone. gamboa needs more technical skills, not more offense. his offense is fine.

Comment

Plz dont **** him up Manny

Comment

Originally posted by hvirk View Post
              big mistake.... manny's not strict enough with these young guys.... gamboa needs someone like floyd senior who will bust his balls....

we all saw what joan guzman was like when he was with floyd, always made weight.... and we all know what happened once he left floyd..... plus senior can correct some of the fundamental mistakes in gamboa's arsenal...
              true... you got that right

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                Hall of Fame coach and living legend Emanuel Steward is the new head coach of fast rising Cuban superstar Yuriorkis "El Ciclon“ Gamboa. Promoter Ahmet Oner sealed the deal with Steward at the WBO convention in Puerto Rico on Wednesday. Gamboa had split up with his former amateur coach Ismael Salas after his most recent win over former world champion Daniel Ponce de Leon on September 10th in Atlantic City. Steward has worked with some of the greatest fighters of all times including „Hitman“ Tommy Hearns, Oscar de la Hoya, Julio Cesar Chavez and Lennox Lewis, only to name a few. Currently Steward is training world heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko.

[Click Here To Read More]
                good development for both fighter and trainer...

Comment

I don't like this at all. I think we all know Steward does great with tall and rangy fighters who can work behind the jab. Not so much with fighters with other styles.

Comment

Originally posted by goblin213 View Post
                    all roach will do is shoot him up with roids.. and put illegal handwraps on him.. roach is a bum coach just like he was a bum fighter..

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      I'm not exactly sure what to think of this pairing, but I had been thinking that it was time for Yuri and Ismael Salas to part ways. It's clear I wasn't alone. At least with Steward Gamboa is in the hands of someone with tremendous experience in the pro game. Good luck to both Yuriorkis and Ismael.
                      what made you think this? lack of development? Honestly I'm a bit surprised and I'm not sure this pairing is all too great, but good luck to the both of them

Comment

Working...
                      X