Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better resume: Mayweather or Pacquiao?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pac was 3 division champ, 2 lineal champ, champ at the age of 19 before 25! At the age of 30, Pac was already a 7 division champ, 3 lineal champ, 3 times fighter of the year and fighter of the decade. How about Floyd before 25 and at 30 compare to Pacquiao?
    Last edited by straightleft; 09-07-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• When people say that Pac has a better resume but Floyd is the better fighter, what do they based this on?
      Let's summarize their resumes starting from the time they both became world champions and compare.

Floyd = 23 total fights : 7 KO/TKO ; 4 RTD ; 11 UD ; 1 SD ; 0 L

Pacquiao = 34 total fights : 24 KO/TKO ; 5 UD ; 1 SD ; 2 D ; 2 L

Floyd's KO/TKO/RTD rate = 48%
      Pac's KO/TKO rate = 70%

World titles won (excluding defense of title), how they won and the record (W-L-D) of the champions they defeated at the time they fought:

Floyd:
      Super Featherweight - Genaro Hernandez (Rtd), 38-2-1
      Lightweight - Jose Luis Castillo (UD), 48-5-1-
      Super LW - Arturo Gatti (Rtd), 39-6
      WW - Zab Judah (UD), 34-4-1
      WW - Carlos Baldomir (UD), 43-9
      SWW - Oscar de la Hoya (SD), 38-4

Pac:
      Flyweight - Chatchai Sasakul (KO), 33-1
      Super Bantamweight - L. Ledwaba (TKO), 33-1-1
      Featherweight - Marco Antonio Barrera (TKO), 57-3-1 NC
      Super Featherweight - Hector Velazquez (TKO), 42-10-2
      Super Featherwweight - Juan Manuel Marquez (SD), 48-3-1
      LW - David Diaz (KO), 34-1-1
      LWW - Ricky Hatton (KO), 45-1
      WW - Miguel Cotto (TKO), 34-1
      Super WW - Antonio Margarito (UD), 38-6

On the basis of the above comparison, there is no question that Pac's record is superior to Floyd's. He has shown this not only in the manner of how he won his fights (KO/TKO percentages), but also in the general quality of the champions he defeated and how he won over them.
      The only aspect where Floyd has an advantage over Pac is the fact that he does not have a loss in his record. Aside from that, there is nothing that factually shows that he is the better boxer.
      If anyone can show, based on actual records and not on opinions, why Floyd is a better boxer than Pac, please do so and enlighten those who may have doubts regarding this.

Comment

• Originally posted by tatangb45 View Post
        When people say that Pac has a better resume but Floyd is the better fighter, what do they based this on?
        Let's summarize their resumes starting from the time they both became world champions and compare.

Floyd = 23 total fights : 7 KO/TKO ; 4 RTD ; 11 UD ; 1 SD ; 0 L

Pacquiao = 34 total fights : 24 KO/TKO ; 5 UD ; 1 SD ; 2 D ; 2 L

Floyd's KO/TKO/RTD rate = 48%
        Pac's KO/TKO rate = 70%

World titles won (excluding defense of title), how they won and the record (W-L-D) of the champions they defeated at the time they fought:

Floyd:
        Super Featherweight - Genaro Hernandez (Rtd), 38-2-1
        Lightweight - Jose Luis Castillo (UD), 48-5-1-
        Super LW - Arturo Gatti (Rtd), 39-6
        WW - Zab Judah (UD), 34-4-1
        WW - Carlos Baldomir (UD), 43-9
        SWW - Oscar de la Hoya (SD), 38-4

Pac:
        Flyweight - Chatchai Sasakul (KO), 33-1
        Super Bantamweight - L. Ledwaba (TKO), 33-1-1
        Featherweight - Marco Antonio Barrera (TKO), 57-3-1 NC
        Super Featherweight - Hector Velazquez (TKO), 42-10-2
        Super Featherwweight - Juan Manuel Marquez (SD), 48-3-1
        LW - David Diaz (KO), 34-1-1
        LWW - Ricky Hatton (KO), 45-1
        WW - Miguel Cotto (TKO), 34-1
        Super WW - Antonio Margarito (UD), 38-6

On the basis of the above comparison, there is no question that Pac's record is superior to Floyd's. He has shown this not only in the manner of how he won his fights (KO/TKO percentages), but also in the general quality of the champions he defeated and how he won over them.
        The only aspect where Floyd has an advantage over Pac is the fact that he does not have a loss in his record. Aside from that, there is nothing that factually shows that he is the better boxer.
        If anyone can show, based on actual records and not on opinions, why Floyd is a better boxer than Pac, please do so and enlighten those who may have doubts regarding this.
        This was posted several hours ago. As of now, somebody has yet to present any factual evidence that Floyd is a better boxer than Pac.
        Factual, based on records and not opinions, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by puga View Post
          damn, that is awfully long and theres a lot of dumb **** in it...

anyways here:
          flyweight = 1-0 pac ( lineal)
          sbw= 2-0
          fw= 3- 0 pac (lineal)
          jr lw
          floyd fought -genaro, gerena, corrales, chavez (good but never great fighters)(lineal)

pac fought - barrera, jmm, morales and larios (3 of them are sure hof's) (lineal)
          the fact that floyd has more body of work but pac has the better wins there makes me lean towrds pac....better wins >>>more body of work
          4- pac
          lw-
          floyd - jlc pac - diaz so
          4-1 pac
          jr ww
          pac fought hatton (lineal)
          floyd fought - gatti and corley
          5-1 pac
          ww
          floyd fought mitchell, judah , baldomir ,and shane(lineal).

pac fought cotto , shane, and clottey
          altho floyd was the lineal there , he got vs medocare figther
          cotto win >>>>any floyd ww win
          6-1 pac

sww= floyd wins there

total
          6- 2...

not even counting FOTY and fighter of the decade award, still pac's overall resume ****s on floyd...
          Here's the problem with that....mayweather started his career at Super Featherweight. You can't automatically give Pacquiao 2 ups on Floyd because he fought at these other weights that Floyd never even fought at. You can give Pacquiao a point for beating Ledwaba and Lucero at Super Bantamweight, and for beating Barrera and fighting a draw with Marquez at Featherweight. You can't give him those two ups on Floyd because is it Floyd's fault that he started at 130??? NO. You can give Pacquiao one up on that. 1-0 Pacquiao.

Lets look at both Super Featherweight careers. Pacquiao lost to Erik Morales, than came back to beat him, after Raheem already did. Than he beat Larios, and beat Morales a second time when everyone (including Morales himself) said he was not even close to the same fighter. He was past prime but still good. Than he fought long overdue rematches with Barrera and Marquez. He beat Barrera who was way past his prime at that point, and won a close decision over a past prime-still good Marquez.

Mayweather beat a past prime-still good Genaro Hernandez who was unbeaten at 130 and than beat a prime Manfredy who hadn't lost in 4 years, and was coming off a huge win over a prime Arturo Gatti. Than he beat a prime and unbeaten Diego Corrales, as well as beating prime versions of Carlos Hernandez and Jesus Chavez (both would become world title holders and fight Erik Morales).

So, Pacquiao split with Morales when he was still considered somewhat "prime" and than beat him when we knew he was done. He beat Barrera, after avoiding a rematch for 4 years, when Marco was done. He won a close decision over Marquez, after avoiding a rematch for 4 years. And he beat Larios and Solis which were solid wins. I'd say there Super Featherweight careers were pretty even. I have no doubt in my mind who would have actually won a fight at 130 though, Mayweather would. Ask yourself this as well, who would have won a dream fight at 130??? The Pacquiao-Morales 2 (2006) version of Pacquiao vs. the Mayweather-Corrales (2001) version of Mayweather??? Who do you think??? 1-0-1 Pacquiao.

Lets look at theier Lightweight careers. Manny beat a past prime-still good David Diaz at Lightweight (135). That's the ONLY thing he ever did at Lightweight. Mayweather beat a latter prime Castillo in a close decision, and gave him an immediate rematch, to which he won again with no controversy this time. Than he picked up an okay win over a latter prime Sosa, and a solid win over a latter prime N'dou. Mayweather definitely beat his resume at Lightweight. 1-1-1 Tied.

Lets look at both careers at Junior Welterweight. Manny beat a last prime-still good Ricky Hatton in 2009, his only fight at 140. Mayweather didn't do much at 140 either. He beat DeMarcus Corley, Henry Bruseles, and a past prime Arturo Gatti at 140. I guess some may say Pacquiao did more in beating Hatton at 140, I don't know. I don't think you can have one fight against a self proclaimed broken and lost fighter, after Mayweather knocked him out, and win that division over Mayweather. I'd say their careers at 140 were even, they didn't do much. People need to remember, Pacquiao did most of his good fights at Featherweight and Super Featherweight. He did next to nothing at Lightweight and Junior Welterweight. The guy went from 130 to 147 in 9 months time during 2008. Than went back down to 140 for one fight in 2009. It's not like he cleaned up the 135 and 140 divisions at all. 1-1-2 Tied.

At 147, Manny has wins over a past prime De La Hoya, past prime-still good Cotto, past prime Clottey, and a past prime Mosley. Mayweather has significant wins over a latter prime Judah, past prime Baldomir, a latter prime Hatton, a past prime-still good Marquez, and a past prime Mosley. His best wins at 147 have been against Judah and Hatton. Manny's only good win was against Cotto. However, I'll give this to Pacquiao because the Cotto win was pretty significant. Although, Mayweather beating Judah and Hatton was as well. Now that Pacquia for some unknown reason is finally deciding to give Marquez a 3rd fight, when he's past prime and not even that good anymore, and Mayweather is facing a prime Ortiz coming off a wins and a huge one over a prime unebaten Berto...If Mayweather wins you might have to give 147 to Mayweather. 2-1-2 Pacquiao.

At 154, both only have one fight. Manny beat a past prime Margarito at a 150 catchweight, and Antonio had just gotten knocked out by Mosley. Mayweather beat a past prime De La Hoya, but actually went up to 154, and De La Hoya had just returned from retirement to beat knockout Mayorga. You have to give 154 to Mayweather, even based on the fact that Manny never really went up to 154, with the 150 catchweight and all. 2-2-2 Tied.

Like I said, TIED. If Manny faces Marquez, Cotto-Margarito 2 winner (which Arum and Cotto's camp said is a possibility), and than Mike Jones or something, Mayweather WILL overtake him. Mayweather has fights with Ortiz, Khan, and maybe Alvarez in front of him. He would overtake Pacquiao no doubt. It all depends on the future. Hopefully, they can both fight in Spring 2012 to end the debating ya know???

Comment

• Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
            Here's the problem with that....mayweather started his career at Super Featherweight. You can't automatically give Pacquiao 2 ups on Floyd because he fought at these other weights that Floyd never even fought at. You can give Pacquiao a point for beating Ledwaba and Lucero at Super Bantamweight, and for beating Barrera and fighting a draw with Marquez at Featherweight. You can't give him those two ups on Floyd because is it Floyd's fault that he started at 130??? NO. You can give Pacquiao one up on that. 1-0 Pacquiao.

Lets look at both Super Featherweight careers. Pacquiao lost to Erik Morales, than came back to beat him, after Raheem already did. Than he beat Larios, and beat Morales a second time when everyone (including Morales himself) said he was not even close to the same fighter. He was past prime but still good. Than he fought long overdue rematches with Barrera and Marquez. He beat Barrera who was way past his prime at that point, and won a close decision over a past prime-still good Marquez.

Mayweather beat a past prime-still good Genaro Hernandez who was unbeaten at 130 and than beat a prime Manfredy who hadn't lost in 4 years, and was coming off a huge win over a prime Arturo Gatti. Than he beat a prime and unbeaten Diego Corrales, as well as beating prime versions of Carlos Hernandez and Jesus Chavez (both would become world title holders and fight Erik Morales).

So, Pacquiao split with Morales when he was still considered somewhat "prime" and than beat him when we knew he was done. He beat Barrera, after avoiding a rematch for 4 years, when Marco was done. He won a close decision over Marquez, after avoiding a rematch for 4 years. And he beat Larios and Solis which were solid wins. I'd say there Super Featherweight careers were pretty even. I have no doubt in my mind who would have actually won a fight at 130 though, Mayweather would. Ask yourself this as well, who would have won a dream fight at 130??? The Pacquiao-Morales 2 (2006) version of Pacquiao vs. the Mayweather-Corrales (2001) version of Mayweather??? Who do you think??? 1-0-1 Pacquiao.

Lets look at theier Lightweight careers. Manny beat a past prime-still good David Diaz at Lightweight (135). That's the ONLY thing he ever did at Lightweight. Mayweather beat a latter prime Castillo in a close decision, and gave him an immediate rematch, to which he won again with no controversy this time. Than he picked up an okay win over a latter prime Sosa, and a solid win over a latter prime N'dou. Mayweather definitely beat his resume at Lightweight. 1-1-1 Tied.

Lets look at both careers at Junior Welterweight. Manny beat a last prime-still good Ricky Hatton in 2009, his only fight at 140. Mayweather didn't do much at 140 either. He beat DeMarcus Corley, Henry Bruseles, and a past prime Arturo Gatti at 140. I guess some may say Pacquiao did more in beating Hatton at 140, I don't know. I don't think you can have one fight against a self proclaimed broken and lost fighter, after Mayweather knocked him out, and win that division over Mayweather. I'd say their careers at 140 were even, they didn't do much. People need to remember, Pacquiao did most of his good fights at Featherweight and Super Featherweight. He did next to nothing at Lightweight and Junior Welterweight. The guy went from 130 to 147 in 9 months time during 2008. Than went back down to 140 for one fight in 2009. It's not like he cleaned up the 135 and 140 divisions at all. 1-1-2 Tied.

At 147, Manny has wins over a past prime De La Hoya, past prime-still good Cotto, past prime Clottey, and a past prime Mosley. Mayweather has significant wins over a latter prime Judah, past prime Baldomir, a latter prime Hatton, a past prime-still good Marquez, and a past prime Mosley. His best wins at 147 have been against Judah and Hatton. Manny's only good win was against Cotto. However, I'll give this to Pacquiao because the Cotto win was pretty significant. Although, Mayweather beating Judah and Hatton was as well. Now that Pacquia for some unknown reason is finally deciding to give Marquez a 3rd fight, when he's past prime and not even that good anymore, and Mayweather is facing a prime Ortiz coming off a wins and a huge one over a prime unebaten Berto...If Mayweather wins you might have to give 147 to Mayweather. 2-1-2 Pacquiao.

At 154, both only have one fight. Manny beat a past prime Margarito at a 150 catchweight, and Antonio had just gotten knocked out by Mosley. Mayweather beat a past prime De La Hoya, but actually went up to 154, and De La Hoya had just returned from retirement to beat knockout Mayorga. You have to give 154 to Mayweather, even based on the fact that Manny never really went up to 154, with the 150 catchweight and all. 2-2-2 Tied.

Like I said, TIED. If Manny faces Marquez, Cotto-Margarito 2 winner (which Arum and Cotto's camp said is a possibility), and than Mike Jones or something, Mayweather WILL overtake him. Mayweather has fights with Ortiz, Khan, and maybe Alvarez in front of him. He would overtake Pacquiao no doubt. It all depends on the future. Hopefully, they can both fight in Spring 2012 to end the debating ya know???
            we're talking about overall resumes here, so you cannot NOT count anything just coz the other had not done **** on that weight class.....that's just ******ed..

Comment

• Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post

LOL all that typing..

and I still got.. Pac resume >>> Floyd..

Barrera, Cotto>>>> Anyone on Floyd resume..

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Pride View Post
                Ortiz is a Clottey level opponent, if not below that. We know Clottey fought the best, and proved himself giving them all tough fights. Ortiz has one fight at welter, against Berto who is yet to be proven a great fighter. Can't even classify it as a great performance, Ortiz got knocked down twice and showed many flaws a fighter like Floyd could exploit. Before that wasn't even ranked top 10 in his JWW career with some dissappointing performances in his biggest fights. Can't say he adds to Mayweather's resume, if Clottey and Margo did nothing for Pac's, with all they've proven and both would beat Ortiz.

Anyway, Pac's resume is clearly superior to Floyd's. At the lower weights he holds a Leonard-esque 5-1-1 (3KOs) over the other member of the modern day Fab Four (MAB, EM, JMM). Floyd's best wins over Castillo, Corrales, Hernandez are very good, but historically those fighters will never match up with the Barrera, Morales, Marquez.

From 140 up, Pacquiao basically fought all the top rated fighters and smashed them all as an undersized fighter. Mosley was the only meaningless fight he had. Mayweather has some great wins, but many of them he fought guys coming up in weight or average fighters with a tailor-made style for him (Marquez, Hatton, Gatti, Ortiz, Baldomir). Mosley and De La Hoya were his best wins where he didn't have the physical advantages, but they were old and rusty coming off long layoffs. I know Pac haters try hard, but it's much easier to criticise and discredit Mayweather's wins above 140.
                What are you whining about? This is what happens when you start taking d*ck sucking to a whole new level. Not even happy with someone saying PAc's resume is superior. It has to be on a whole new plane in order for you to feel good. Wipe your mouth, you disgust me.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                  Wait a minute.

In terms of legacy, Pac just started competing with Mayweather in 2009 after the Ricky Hatton fight.

How does 2 years of solid work overrule the other 14 years Mayweather's resume/career was considered better than Pac's?

If anyone would've compared Pac to Mayweather from 1996-2008, they would've been laughed at. But because Pac has solid wins from 2009-2011, now all of a sudden Pac has the greater career? Come on people!
                  This thread is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=141622

If you would've compared Pac to Mayweather in 2007 and 2008, you would've been laughed at.

Comment

• Besides common opponents, Dela Hoya, Hatton, Mosley and Marquez, I've also think of their foes that fought each other, with one had floyd in his resume, the other with manny.

Mayweather - Zab Judah
                    Pacquiao - Miguel Cotto

Cotto beats Judah, so plus 1 for Pacman

Mayweather - Carlos Baldomir
                    Pacquiao - Joshua Clottey

Baldomir beats Clottey by DQ, even here

At 130-135, two best opponents of Mayweather are rivals Castillo and Corrales, while Pacquiao had same rivals Barrera and Morales at 126-130lbs. again the odds are even.

Floyd had beaten Morales' victims Carlos Hernandez and Jesus Chavez while Pac had other notable names like Larios and David Diaz.

Mayweather doesnt have an opponent yet that could equal Pac's win over Margarito last year, that someone should be Sergio Martinez, whom Margarito beat but isnt likely to get a shot at Floyd.

Pacquiao could have undefeated Bradley next in line, who is definitely better than Ortiz.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
                      Besides common opponents, Dela Hoya, Hatton, Mosley and Marquez, I've also think of their foes that fought each other, with one had floyd in his resume, the other with manny.

Mayweather - Zab Judah
                      Pacquiao - Miguel Cotto

Cotto beats Judah, so plus 1 for Pacman

Mayweather - Carlos Baldomir
                      Pacquiao - Joshua Clottey

Baldomir beats Clottey by DQ, even here

At 130-135, two best opponents of Mayweather are rivals Castillo and Corrales, while Pacquiao had same rivals Barrera and Morales at 126-130lbs. again the odds are even.

Floyd had beaten Morales' victims Carlos Hernandez and Jesus Chavez while Pac had other notable names like Larios and David Diaz.

Mayweather doesnt have an opponent yet that could equal Pac's win over Margarito last year, that someone should be Sergio Martinez, whom Margarito beat but isnt likely to get a shot at Floyd.

Pacquiao could have undefeated Bradley next in line, who is definitely better than Ortiz.
                      that wasnt a particularly good win.

Comment

Working...
                      X