No announcement yet.

Just rewatched Oscar vs Floyd.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
    Thats literally all he did that round, Floyd clearly won that round.
    I agree,

I was trying to give the TS the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Do you think the fight would have been the same if Oscar and Floyd fought when Oscar was in his prime?

Comment

Originally posted by iseah100 View Post
        Do you think the fight would have been the same if Oscar and Floyd fought when Oscar was in his prime?
        Of course it would be different, but what happens if oscar fought a prime floyd?? Floyd would beat the brakes off oscar at anytime, because he's simply better.

As Jrosales stated, Floyd is simply better, I don't see what is so hard to understand about any of this. Floyd is faster, a better boxer, better ring generalship, better thinker in that ring, finds a way, and never quits.

Oscar does nothing better, he's simply looked at as the golden boy, with a million dollar smile.....

Comment

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
          Fight wasn't even close.

1. Mayweather
          2. Oscar
          3. Mayweather
          4. Mayweather
          5. Mayweather
          6. Mayweather
          7. Oscar
          8. Mayweather
          9. Mayweather
          10. Mayweather
          11. Mayweather
          12. Oscar (pity round).

117-111.

Floyd was dominant with his jab all night, and controlled the 2:30 of every round, and Oscar would throw a mostly ineffective flurry every now and then (occasionally landing a good clean shot).

Anyone that scored this fight for Oscar needs a lesson on judging 101.
          I scored it 9-3 for Floyd, 8-4 if I wanted to be generous. The commentating in this fight was ridiculously biased with Merchant and Lampley serving as Oscar's personal cheerleaders during the entire fight.

I haven't watched the fight since that night. However, there was one point in the fight which truly emphasized to me just how ineffective Oscar was and the HBO commentators did not even comment on it. If you watch the fight again, you will notice that somewhere between the 8th and 10th rounds, Floyd was laying on the ropes and Oscar threw a flurry of about 10 body punches, all of which landed on Floyd's body. Most people would go down being hit with that many body shots. However, Mayweather didn't even flinch during or after this exchange and continued to dominate the fight.

Comment

I was there live and I had it 9 rounds to 3 in favor of Mayweather. I was surprised that the judges came back with it that close.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasha View Post
              yeah you're right...a prime Oscar would never beat Floyd...cuz Floyd would never accept the challenge...Floyd ducked Cotto and Margarito, and a prime Oscar takes those two to school.
              You are right. A prime Oscar would have taken Cotto and Margarito to school. However, the prime Oscar got schooled by Pernell Whitaker, who is better than both Cotto and Margarito, even though Oscar ended up getting a gift decision against Whitaker. Mayweather is a better all-around fighter than Whitaker. Considering what Whitaker did to him, if the Mayweather/Oscar fight had been fought at 147 and Mayweather had been allowed to choose his own gloves, he would have knocked Oscar out, even if Oscar was in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by boxaholic View Post
                I was there live and I had it 9 rounds to 3 in favor of Mayweather. I was surprised that the judges came back with it that close.
                Why are you surprised? Did you see the De La Hoya/Pernell Whitaker fight or the De La Hoya/Felix Sturm fight? Whitaker not only outlanded Oscar; he scored a knockdown and still lost. Sturm put on a jabbing clinic in that fight and made Oscar look like a fool. Yet, all three judges gave Oscar the decision against Sturm by a score of 115-113. Everyone who watched or participated in the Oscar/Sturm fight (except the judges) thought Oscar lost, including Oscar himself. You could tell by the look on Oscar's face after the fight that he thought he lost.

I was actually expecting Mayweather to get robbed in the Oscar fight because of previous decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasha View Post
                  Please show me before 2005, where Floyd said he was willing to challenge DLH...please...if you do...I'll take what I said about Floyd avoiding DLH back. But it's gota be DLH between 99-03.

And tell me Floyd, if he could duck a punching bag in Margarito, would not avoid a prime DLH, when he would have a field day with Margarito and box himself to a UD.

And tell me why, when they asked Floyd if he would fight Cotto (when Cotto clearly said he would be willing to fight Mayweather) and everyone wanted the fight at the time ('07) did he not say anything about his willingness to fight Cotto....I'm waiting...

Comment

boring ass fight.

Comment

• I had it 116-112 when I watched it live in a room full of people cheering for Oscar. Every time since (probably 3 viewings), it's 117-111 Floyd.

HBO blinded a lot of people that night, but not Harold Lederman and not people who know how to score fights.

Shoot, I watched Mayweather-Hatton in a room full of people who gave Hatton like 3-4 rounds! I just kept shaking my head.

Comment

Working...
                      X