Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting: Froch OUTBOXED Abraham Like No One Did!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PureBoxingCEO View Post
    How does Froch with his ''limited'' boxing skills did a better job and took fewer punches from Abraham than each Ward and Dirrell did?
    What, you didn't see the fight last night?

Abraham landed punches on Ward because Wegner told him to move forward and put pressure on Ward. That's what they've been working on since this fight was scheduled.

Against Froch, Abraham was outclassed (again), because he didn't pressure or even move and was only looking for one punch behind his shell from the opening bell. He did land some hard punches on Froch though, but Froch took them well. Still, Abraham was outclassed and out-boxed.

After that performance from Abraham, they needed to change things up.

This time Wegner wanted (read: needed) to go another route as Ward would do the same to Abraham if they went with the same strategy used in his previous fights.

Abraham did well in the first 3-4 rounds. He pressured Ward at a high pace and made the rounds close and difficult to score. Ward even looked confused at times.

However, the problem with this strategy was that Abraham is not used to fight at that pace. Especially not at SMW. He moved and pressured a lot more than he has done in years but he still loaded up on his shots, without really hitting anything, and he can't cut off the ring at all. So as Abraham started to slow down in the 4th round, Ward's pace went up another notch or two. After the 5th round, Abraham wasn't in the match.

Ward did a great job. So did Froch.

Comment

Originally posted by romebyko View Post
      Your right sorry he won a UD or SD..I don't remember??But I do know after getting KO'd brutally he did not look that bad in the rematch..He also did not show stamina problems in the rematch..But he did show bad punch resistance(at least to me he did)..I still have to say that version of Taylor who fought Froch would have trouble anybody at the weight..He was fighting in his backyard had the support of his fans,was in great shape and was confident..I don't believe anybody would have had an easy night with him that night,esp Ward...Ward does not have power bro(not to say he can't buzz or stun an opponent)Taylor is accurate and punches hard,I'll say it again not an easy night for anybody at 160lb esp that night in that building..
      In the Pavlik rematch,you will notice both guys fight at a more controlled and measured pace,which probably explains it going to the distance and Taylor didn't gas out as bad.Pavlik wasn't as aggressive...Taylor's workrate ALWAYS drops dramatically in the second half- he fades.Hell,watch the Hopkins/Taylor fights-he fades back then as well.
      IMO Taylor would have struggled if he fought Ward.Ward has too much stamina for Taylor and he would have been hit frequently-the later rounds would have seen Ward turn it up....it isn't like Taylor had the best defense either.Hell,I have always thought Taylor was a bit hyped to begin with....he had a great jab,but pulled his right hand back too much.

Comment

That's almost expected considering Froch's size; long arms and heavy hands. Also, while Ward isn't a bad puncher, he was the weakest puncher in the tourney. So I wasn't expecting him to penetrate through AA's shell, I thought he would kill him to the body, put up a better display of body punching. He still looked really good and did what he had to do, made that look so easy. I'm expecting Ward to beat Froch but it's not gonna be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
          Thing is Froch, more than any other fighter I can think of in recent years barring perhaps Pac, has improved leaps and bounds in his last few fights, and got more quality rounds under his belt than most fighters get in a career. The difference in only three fights between the Froch that fought Taylor and the Froch that fought Abraham is pretty big and I expect him to raise his game even further when he fights Ward (Johnson's a tough cookie but I'd be very surprised if he won).

As for his lack of speed, I actually disagree. Froch isn't lighting fast, but he has sneaky handspeed coupled with awkwardness and good timing that allows him to land a larger number of his punches than might be expected. And whilst it's true he hasn't got a stoppage since Taylor, he still has a lot of power, enough to have a noticeable effect on his opponents, and that has to be taken into account when considering future matchups.

Saying all that, it's very possible Froch gets shut out by Ward for all the reasons you mention above, and a few fights ago I would have said that as well. But Froch possesses the sort of intangibles and gutsy will to win that makes him way more than the mere sum of his parts.
          What I will give Froch though,is he has a better resume at the moment...then of course,so did Kessler until he faced Ward.

It may sound like I dislike Froch or have a bias against him,but in actuality,I have respect for the guy-even when he was calling out Calzaghe,I never bashed him.I believe in people calling out the best to improve their legacy... somehow,in todays world of boxing,people get hammered for calling out the best-just look at anyone who calls out Pac and doesn't get the fight for an example of what I mean....

Froch imo IS akward,but is predictable.You can see his right hand a mile away-and this is his best and favoured punch (sure,he has his jab and that uppercut he throws halfway across the ring-lol).Ward will be able to take this away...it's going to be too tough of a task to expect Froch to take away any assets of Ward's,let alone to out think him in the ring.I think Froch's best chance is too try and go all out on Ward early when he is getting a feel for his opponent,but even then I think it will just make it an ugly first few rounds...the rest of the fight is where it will be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by damned1974 View Post
            I know why Froch keeps the hand low-the problem is,his left isn't going to be quick enough to counter Ward.

To compare Bika (a sporatic,wild and unpredictable fighter) with Kessler is confusing.Froch can face the fighters he has-but this doesn't amount to him facing someone like Ward.

The thing is,Froch has struggled against the two guys he faced who can box...(If Taylor would have taken a knee/the Dirrell gift).Ward imo is more versatile than both of those guys...

Ward is a level above Froch.Ward is the more versatile of the two-a more complete fighter who can adapt and has a great boxing IQ.With Froch,what you see is what you get-no frills.Hey,it's not a bad thing-it's just not going to win him this tourney against Ward.Very tough for Froch to win a decision against Ward.Froch will have to get a KO- which is not likely imo...In fact,Froch hasn't scored one since he has faced better competition (excluding Taylor) and power is the only advantage he has over Ward in terms of skills.
            I did not compare Bika to Kessler,I compared Bika to AA and Green to Kessler without the chin(lol)..Dirrell lost that fight for not fighting,by no means was that a gift dude..Dirrell was ineffective and did nothing but hold all night and try his hardest to not engage..I like Ward I more these past two fights then I ever like him before..He showed balls in his fight with Bika and in this fight he was not as dirty as he usually is..But what I've also seen is he is hittable..Froch lands punches(I know Ward is a great defensive fighter)but Froch finds away to land..He has also been using his jab a lot more in his more recent fights,he will be a problem for Ward dude..Oh and I see him winning a UD or SD against Ward..

Comment

Originally posted by damned1974 View Post
              In the Pavlik rematch,you will notice both guys fight at a more controlled and measured pace,which probably explains it going to the distance and Taylor didn't gas out as bad.Pavlik wasn't as aggressive...Taylor's workrate ALWAYS drops dramatically in the second half- he fades.Hell,watch the Hopkins/Taylor fights-he fades back then as well.
              IMO Taylor would have struggled if he fought Ward.Ward has too much stamina for Taylor and he would have been hit frequently-the later rounds would have seen Ward turn it up....it isn't like Taylor had the best defense either.Hell,I have always thought Taylor was a bit hyped to begin with....he had a great jab,but pulled his right hand back too much.
              A lil off subject but I always thought B-Hop was robbed in their first fight..But I will say I thought Taylor won the rematch..I'm not saying Ward would have lost to Taylor but I will say it would not have been a easy night for anybody in the SS..Hell AA was losing to a far past it Taylor until the later rds..Taylor's height and piston jab would have trouble Ward for a few rds..I don't see why a young Froch(who has grown as a fighter you have to have seen this much)get's dump on??He was young and challenge himself against a proven Champion..Which I wish more fighters would do..Weather Ward wins the SS or Froch I betting the fans get a great fight,it won't be domination by either fighter imo..

Comment

i will be betting on froch or the road warrior V Ward so get at me fellas.

Comment

I noticed AA was able to connect more on Froch than he did on Ward. Froch's punches did have more pop to them than Ward's, though.

If Johnson doesn't put a damper on Froch's plans, Ward-Froch will be an interesting match.

Comment

Originally posted by _Hisoka View Post
                    That's almost expected considering Froch's size; long arms and heavy hands. Also, while Ward isn't a bad puncher, he was the weakest puncher in the tourney. So I wasn't expecting him to penetrate through AA's shell, I thought he would kill him to the body, put up a better display of body punching. He still looked really good and did what he had to do, made that look so easy. I'm expecting Ward to beat Froch but it's not gonna be easy.
                    I have to say I was surprised at how much power Wards punches had,he was hurting AA at times..

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
                      I noticed AA was able to connect more on Froch than he did on Ward. Froch's punches did have more pop to them than Ward's, though.

If Johnson doesn't put a damper on Froch's plans, Ward-Froch will be an interesting match.
                      So would Ward-Johnson......

Comment

Working...
                      X