Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it me or aaron pryor is overrated in boxingscene

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Pyror is tough nut to crack at 140, the only guy I would even give a shot is Khan based on style but I highly doubt he would not get cracked by the pressure put on him by Pryor.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
      If I'm not mistaken, Arguello was not P4P number one at the time, or at any for that matter, but it was an excellent win nonetheless. Arguello also hadn't done anything at that weight, he beat a nobody in Rooney, whereas Pac destroyed the Hatton and was lineal champ, I don't think it would be the equivalent.

Cervantes was past prime and Pryor had done nothing at lightweight to warrant a title shot.
      You are mistaken because Arguello was P4P around the time of the Pryor fight, although he wasn't #1 (or at least from the lists of the editions available) (goes to find where he remembers it from)...

KO Magazine (January)
      1 - Roberto Duran
      2 - Sugar Ray Leonard
      3 - Wilfredo Gomez
      4 - Danny Lopez
      5 - Pipino Cuevas
      6 - Alexis Arguello
      7 - Larry Holmes
      8 - Wilfred Benitez
      9 - Vito Antuofermo/Matt Saad Muhammad (tie)

KO Magazine (January)
      1 - Thomas Hearns
      2 - Sugar Ray Leonard
      3 - Marvin Hagler
      4 - Larry Holmes
      5 - Alexis Arguello
      6 - Wilfredo Gomez
      7 - Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
      8 - Matt Saad Muhammmad
      9 - Wilfred Benitez
      10 - Roberto Duran/Aaron Pryor (tie)

KO Magazine
      1. Sugar Ray Leonard
      2. Alexis Arguello
      3. Marvin Hagler
      4. Salvador Sanchez
      5. Wilfred Benitez
      6. Larry Holmes
      7. Jeff Chandler
      8. Eusebio Pedroza
      9. Aaron Pryor
      10. Thomas Hearns/Dwight Braxton* (tie)

*Dwight Muhammad Qawi

KO Magazine
      1. Marvin Hagler
      2. Aaron Pryor
      3. Larry Holmes
      4. Michael Spinks
      5. Jeff Chandler
      6. Thomas Hearns
      7. Alexis Arguello
      8. Wilfredo Gomez
      9. Hector Camacho
      10. Eusebio Pedroza

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        Prime Pyror is tough nut to crack at 140, the only guy I would even give a shot is Khan based on style but I highly doubt he would not get cracked by the pressure put on him by Pryor.
        Khan doesn't have the skills and instincts necessary to beat a terrific fighter like Pryor.

That fight would be really, really ugly for Amir.

Pryor was wrong for Tszyu IMO too.

In recent years, obviously, Pacquiao and Mayweather would be the most interesting matchup for Pryor. I think style-wise, Manny matches up better to Pryor than Floyd does. I go back-and-forth with a Mayweather-Pryor matchup but I'd favor Manny to win a brutal fight against Aaron.

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
          Khan doesn't have the skills and instincts necessary to beat a terrific fighter like Pryor.

That fight would be really, really ugly for Amir.

Pryor was wrong for Tszyu IMO too.

In recent years, obviously, Pacquiao and Mayweather would be the most interesting matchup for Pryor. I think style-wise, Manny matches up better to Pryor than Floyd does. I go back-and-forth with a Mayweather-Pryor matchup but I'd favor Manny to win a brutal fight against Aaron.
          Indeed, I am pretty sure Khan gets had but if he keeps his distance and never gets gutsy he could possibly win, that certainly is less likely than Pryor mugging Khan something fierce. Everyone else there currently I could not envision any path to victory though.

Tsyzu also because I think Pryor gets in close and sticks to him like a cheap coat and once there Pyror would be eating Kostya's lunch.

Floyd and Manny would both be interesting fights for different reasons, I think Pryor could get done in by a truly superior boxer especially one who knows not to get overly brave but he would certainly get after Floyd and with Manny it would be an out and out who is the better man sort of deal.
          Last edited by The Gambler1981; 05-06-2011, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Lol at khan having a snowball chance in hell of beating Pryor.

That's even dumber than all the idiots claimin Leonard and Duran were scared of Pryor and ducked him

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome-O View Post
              Lol at khan having a snowball chance in hell of beating Pryor.

That's even dumber than all the idiots claimin Leonard and Duran were scared of Pryor and ducked him
              Pryor is overrated doe, i checked his boxrec...hahahha

Comment

Working...
              X