No announcement yet.

Ivan Calderon a first Ballot HOF'er?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lmao, he's not even close.

He fought in a weak era, with a weak style, against C level opponents for most of his career. When he finally ran into someone B level he got ktfo 2x in a row.

Calderon is a joke who spent all his career filling out undercards.

I spit on his grave.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
      If Calderon is first ballot then Sven Ottke should have been first ballot(He wasn't).

Michalczewski isn't even first ballot and he did unify titles and had something like 24 title defenses.
      Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
      how in te hell is Calderon a HOFer? He only beat 5 top 10 fighters his entire career. He only fought 3 top ten guys during his minimumweight 'reign', and never fought Eagle Kyowa, Muhammad Rachman, or Yutaka Niida...never fought the best in his division nor unified.

his career defining win is Cazares...which is actually a pretty good win. but someone like Iran Barkley aint gettin in the HOF, and Barkley is far more deserving than Calderon.
      ^^ smart motherfuckers.

Comment

how in te hell is Calderon a HOFer? He only beat 5 top 10 fighters his entire career. He only fought 3 top ten guys during his minimumweight 'reign', and never fought Eagle Kyowa, Muhammad Rachman, or Yutaka Niida...never fought the best in his division nor unified.

his career defining win is Cazares...which is actually a pretty good win. but someone like Iran Barkley aint gettin in the HOF, and Barkley is far more deserving than Calderon.
        I dunno, man.

I think there is a shout for him being a HOF'er. First Ballot I disagree with.

But he did have alot of title defences.

2 division champion. 1 time Lineal Champion.

I think there is atleast an argument for Calderon to be a HOF'er.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I dunno, man.

I think there is a shout for him being a HOF'er. First Ballot I disagree with.

But he did have alot of title defences.

2 division champion. 1 time Lineal Champion.

I think there is atleast an argument for Calderon to be a HOF'er.
          Its not impossible he gets in the HOF, but its highly unlikely, especially considering how low of a weight he fought at.

title defenses mean very little unless youre actually fighting top competition. its just a meaningless stat, like a winning streak over half assed opponents. fact is he only beat 5 meaningful opponents his entire career, and only ONCE faced the the best guy in his division...and Im sorry, but Cazares isnt exactly amazing. solid champ, but come on.

I doubt Artur Grigorian with 17 title defences and Darius Michaelskblahwski with 23 title defenses will get in the HOF.

There are a lot of fighters that deserve to be in the HOF over Calderon. And its not like Calderon made a big impact on boxing either...

Comment

Its not impossible he gets in the HOF, but its highly unlikely, especially considering how low of a weight he fought at.

title defenses mean very little unless youre actually fighting top competition. its just a meaningless stat, like a winning streak over half assed opponents. fact is he only beat 5 meaningful opponents his entire career, and only ONCE faced the the best guy in his division...and Im sorry, but Cazares isnt exactly amazing. solid champ, but come on.

I doubt Artur Grigorian with 17 title defences and Darius Michaelskblahwski with 23 title defenses will get in the HOF.

There are a lot of fighters that deserve to be in the HOF over Calderon. And its not like Calderon made a big impact on boxing either...
            So would this also apply to Wonjongkam in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows View Post
              So would this also apply to Wonjongkam in your opinion?
              to be honest I dont know jack **** about Wonjongkam, so I dont think I can make any sort of informed decision on it.

I dont like making choices when I dont know what Im talking about.

Comment

to be honest I dont know jack **** about Wonjongkam, so I dont think I can make any sort of informed decision on it.

I dont like making choices when I dont know what Im talking about.
                Fair enough. I think his case is somewhat similar to Calderon's.

Comment

It's arguable, IMO.

Less have got it and more aren't in. Like we discussed before. The HOF makes strange descions.

I made a thread early about Pone Kingpetch not being in the HOF still having being retired for decades. Some who I think should be a HOF'er over Calderon.

I think for the standard of the HOF, he can get in.

But basically I just disagree with Al Bernsteins statment that he is an unquestionable First Ballot HOF'er.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows View Post
                    Fair enough. I think his case is somewhat similar to Calderon's.
                    Wonjongkam has a better resume than Calderon IMO.

But I agree its the same kind of thing.

Comment

BI you also have to consider how induction works, the way I understand is that 3 fighters are inducted each year, thus if its a weak year of candidates there is a good chance he gets in.

Comment

Working...
                      X