No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum Shreds De La Hoya, Schaefer: They are The Worst

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
    The percentage that Golden Balls gets from Manny's fights is miniscule, less than 5%, and much less than the legal fees which would have accrued. It was all well reported at the time.

Manny, who spoke almost no English at that time, said he was worn out from the trip, that Oscar wouldn't let him go and he was too polite to insist, and agreed just to get away. It wasn't in a car but at a dinner that Oscar dragged Manny to, and again, was too polite to refuse. He was almost untutored in Western mores then and his culture taught him not to disagree with anyone. All well reported at the time.

In Manny's contract with Top Rank at that time, almost expired but NOT YET, was aclause forbidding him to discuss contracts or signing with anyone without Top Rank's permission, a smart move on Arum's [art, considering what could and did happen.

Anyone who actually knows anything of those times will verify my statements.
    All this sound too much far fetch, excuses to me, its all about money and nothing to do with culture, He saw the money and took the bait simple, You bringing his culture into it is just silly, In a way insulting.

Comment

Originally posted by antrob View Post
      You make Pacquiao sound really dumb. So hee was to stupid to say no to getting dragged to a dinner and taking money he didn't want? No it's really like Pacquiao is a greedy man and took the briefcase full of money because he wanted it. Pacquiao is a grown man, he knew what he was doing. To say he was to polite or to naive, is really a insult on Pacquiao.
      He was basically only an unlettered and simple kid at the time and totally unfitted to deal with a sharpie who was going beyond the bounds of what Manny had been taught as proper behaviour. AND, he was exhausted from the 16 hour fllight, as well as the dragged out dinner that he didn't want.

I don't see how it is an insult to him, it was all well reported at the time, in different publications. That's where I got it from and I have an excellent memory. There was a LOT of publicity about it.

Comment

You make Pacquiao sound really dumb. So hee was to stupid to say no to getting dragged to a dinner and taking money he didn't want? No it's really like Pacquiao is a greedy man and took the briefcase full of money because he wanted it. Pacquiao is a grown man, he knew what he was doing. To say he was to polite or to naive, is really a insult on Pacquiao.
        I swear i didnt even see your post before i wrote mine, I just had to disagree with everything that edgard post there..

Comment

He was basically only an unlettered and simple kid at the time and totally unfitted to deal with a sharpie who was going beyond the bounds of what Manny had been taught as proper behaviour. AND, he was exhausted from the 16 hour fllight, as well as the dragged out dinner that he didn't want.

I don't see how it is an insult to him, it was all well reported at the time, in different publications. That's where I got it from and I have an excellent memory. There was a LOT of publicity about it.
          And, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Arum went to court over it and Manny said that he WANTED to stay with Arum.

And he did and is still there YEARS LATER.

I'm not trying to start an argument over this trivial matter, just setting the record straight, for which I would have thought I w;d be thanked instead of disputed with.

But........c'est la vie.

Comment

And, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Arum went to court over it and Manny said that he WANTED to stay with Arum.

And he did and is still there YEARS LATER.

I'm not trying to start an argument over this trivial matter, just setting the record straight, for which I would have thought I w;d be thanked instead of disputed with.

But........c'est la vie.
            I was familiar with many Asians then and knew that they often say yes to agree with you from politeness rather than what they really meant. I learnt a few tough lessons that way myself in rather large situations when I was in business, and travelling from time to time in the Orient.

Comment

A unlettered kid? The man was 28 or 29 at the time. This took place in 2007 not 1997. Dude stop defending Pacquiao. He was greedy, took the money and now is paying for it. It's pretty simple.

Comment

If I recollect correctly, he also had his lawyer with him who said he could sign, knowing he meant nothing. His lawyer got a lot of bad publicity from this because people took it too seriously.

Comment

I was familiar with many Asians then and knew that they often say yes to agree with you from politeness rather than what they really meant. I learnt a few tough lessons that way myself in rather large situations when I was in business, and travelling from time to time in the Orient.
                  Here is a quote from Freddy Roach about the situation.

"Manny told me he wanted a signing bonus, and I relayed that to Golden Boy," Roach said. Roach added: "They
                  negotiated a deal and they gave him the signing bonus, and some of it was in cash in a suitcase."

That doesn't sound like a unlettered kid to me.

Comment

A unlettered kid? The man was 28 or 29 at the time. This took place in 2007 not 1997. Dude stop defending Pacquiao. He was greedy, took the money and now is paying for it. It's pretty simple.
                    Your time line is way out of line, he was much younger, still a junior Feather I believe just going or gone up to feather. I could be wrong, but it was years ago. Someone will know. After all this I believe that he went back to school, graduated and began to become a bit more erudite.

Comment

Here is a quote from Freddy Roach about the situation.

"Manny told me he wanted a signing bonus, and I relayed that to Golden Boy," Roach said. Roach added: "They
                      negotiated a deal and they gave him the signing bonus, and some of it was in cash in a suitcase."

That doesn't sound like a unlettered kid to me.
                      It is totally unbelievable how Pac fans can defend him for this.

Comment

Working...
                      X