Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaz supervised the development of the Cuban olympic team, so he already had a pedigree. I would say that he's a new breed of trainer, one that combines dedication/intelligence/experimentation. I really like the way he tried to build Cotto from the ground up. You can say he recreated Cotto in a sense. Cotto is a more efficient fighter now, economical and accurate with the ability to throw combinations and apply intelligent pressure. He maximized Cotto's potential.
    Last edited by kiaba360; 05-06-2012, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
      You could always look it up. It's out there on them googles.

Hint: It does not necessitate a controversial decision or a last second settling of the victory.

Now I'm off to play Soccer. Hopefully my team can DOMINATE the other team winning by 2-1 with a 55% possession. It won't even be competitive.

Those sceanrio's aren't alike, though.

Comment

• Yes he is. Losing to Pac and Floyd (The top dogs in the game), does not take you out of the top 10.

Comment

• SHANE ON YU111 :*******:

Comment

• I'd love for those two to square up.

But back to the topic:
            Pedro Diaz is an extremely intelligent trainer. He brings the knowledge of good footwork and basic boxing (and good movements). Diaz' got a masters degree in physologicals aspects.

Comment

• The Keys To beating Floyd Mayweather In My Eyes

I posted this on another forum after I saw Henry and Mayweather spar. It was only a line but I said 'The left hand is the key for his opponent'.

There was like 40 minutes of footage, something I rarely see bar a min or two, of Floyd sparring recently.

Mayweather was impressive in the sparring, and it was only sparring which I also said, but I noticed Henry contrlling the round well with his jab, and even landed his left hook frequently. Not too often, but enough for me to say that Mayweather in his shell has some trouble timing left hooks. I repeat that his defense is still great and you will likely never hit him flush with your right hand unless the body, but the left is slightly more vulnerable.

Even years back when I saw Floyd spar this white guy, sorry I forgot the name, I saw flaws in his defensive game.

So, anyone who has an extremely strong left hand, and can keep that middle to inside fighting distance, and doesn't smother themselves, can have success. South paws got to him with fast straight lefts, and others like Oscar and Cotto got to him with a solid jab.

Castillo 1, injury or not showed that once hit, Floyd does slow down. Floyd can be uncomfortable and I actually feel he lost that fight, close but he lost. Castillo kept coming at him, kept it close so Floyd's long arms found it difficult to get Castillo, and Floyd ended up pushing/elbowing to make space and got a point deduction.

So, another key is, keep throwing to his arms, body and head, and even if you don't land most, you will 'win' that encounter, but more importantly, getting hit slows you down. I feel Floyd has slowed down in age, and also because he got hit hard, and Cotto is a strong guy. However, head hunting leads to counters, Floyd watches and expects those, so that's why variety is a key because no one can block everything. I mean watch these fighters in real life and their punches are so fast.

I watched Pac-Cotto 1 recently and saw Cotto keep that mid distance from rounds 1 to 3. He did pretty well against Pac in them until he got hurt. Cotto put a really good fight, and his game plan achieved what a lot didn't think he could do, stay for 12 let alone win a few rounds.

So, who can beat Floyd in my eyes? No one yet. Maybe Pacquaio has some of the physical tools, but he doesn't have the style that pressures like that. I would imagine if he kept going forward like in his past, and throwing his combinations, he would hit Floyd quite a bit and thus he would win a few rounds. However he will need to get rid of his 'not get hit' mentally that he has now.

Amir Khan may give trouble with his jab, and speed but doesn't have enough smarts for much else.

Martinez the speed and size, but again he boxes.

Comment

• You need a solid left to give Mayweather trouble. He utilizes his opponents right hands with the shoulder roll movement. The jab seemed to have been effective, and the left hook. Throwing right hands vs Mayweather is almost pointless.

Comment

• Cotto didn't show us anything Castillo didn't, other than the success with the jab, which hit Mayweather reliably.

It's quite possible, even likely that Pac will look bad against Bradley and change my mind, but I feel much better about Pac's chances against Mayweather now. Floyd may have chosen to go to war with Cotto, but how much of that is because he can't move like he used to?

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    Cotto didn't show us anything Castillo didn't, other than the success with the jab, which hit Mayweather reliably.

It's quite possible, even likely that Pac will look bad against Bradley and change my mind, but I feel much better about Pac's chances against Mayweather now. Floyd may have chosen to go to war with Cotto, but how much of that is because he can't move like he used to?
                    I think it's choice personally, the legs. I thought he used his legs well when he had to/watned to. In the first 4 rounds and the last 4. One the outside Mayweather was vastly superior, on the inside it was great stuff, toe to toe. Credit to Weeks for letting them fight.

It's just styles.

Cotto brings things to the table that Pacquaio doesn't and vice versa.

I personally don't think anyone without a jab can beat Mayweather.

Comment

• I agree Castillo had a lot of success with his left, and was robbed in a close, but clear fight. However there was injury talk. Even though I say injury or not, a fight is a fight.

When I saw Henry land his jab and some left hooks, I realised that Cotto will have success because he has a very strong jab that dropped Clottey etc.. I wasn't sure about his left hook, but it wasn't too bad.

The issue for Floyd if he faced Pac, Pac has a very strong left that dropped Shane and Cotto and if Floyd has lost a step, and Pac really did have cramps, then Pac hitting him hard anywhere is going to slow him down also.

Styles make fights though.

Comment

Working...
                      X