Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U also have to remember all of the businesses that pay for the pay per views, which should be a lot more than the regular 60 dollars

Comment

• If that happens then we will see how much wear and tear Cotto really has.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
        Yeah, Miguel must be smoking some good Puerto Rican sticky icky. I actually did the math, for him to make anywhere near $30 mil on that split the fight would have to do upwards of 2.6 million buys.

Maybe that # was a typo?
        You're not taking into account whatever his guarantee is.

Comment

• Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
          Bro......this for real?
          Oh, as if people clamoring for Shane freaking Mosley is more legit than Joshua Clottey. Shane lands on right hand on Mayweather and he somehow can ensure that Cotto is prepared to fight Mayweather.

Simple questions:

Does Floyd have fast hands? Yes. At 147 and 154, does Clottey have fast hands? Yes.

Does Floyd fight from a defensive posture? Yes. Does Clottey fight from a defensive posture? Yes.

Did Cotto have trouble breaking Clottey's guard? Yes. Will Cotto have trouble breaking Mayweather's guard? Most likely, yes.

In Mayweather's last two fights, was he mobile? No. Did he fight from the pocket, in the center from the guard position? Yes. Is Clottey mobile? Not really. In Cotto/Clottey, did Clottey fight from the pocket and from the guard?Yes.

Do Clottey and Mayweather have similar builds, frames and solid foundation of boxing acumen? Yes.

Is there anyone as good as Mayweather? No. Can anyone replicate his style? No. Did Clottey fight the type of fight in the Cotto match that Mayweather did against Mosley and Ortiz? Yes. He waiting for openings and attacked. He was hard to hit and Cotto barely got clean shots.

Therefore, its not too hard to follow along that with the best available options that Clottey is a good choice. I mean Adrien Broner? Chad Dawson? Floyd said that he will fight in the pocket, from a defensive position. He said so against MOsley and Ortiz and stuck true to word. What is Adrien Broner going to do, he's going to run and Cotto will just bully him effortlessly due to the size disparity. Dawson? I mean really.

People on NSB are just adept at being TMZ type of fans instead of looking at the bigger picture and look at things from a different angle.

When this fight paints an eerily similar picture to what we saw in Cotto/Clottey, I hope to remember this thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Dudley View Post
            I think Floyd has allot to lose in this fight. Just like most of his fights.

Cotto has allot to gain with a good showing against a top opponent. After Cotto defeated Margarito convincingly, this was the next logical fight (outside of we all know who)

The stage:

Two seasoned vets, two boxing technicians. One carries a bit more power and some technical graces the other brings a savant technical style to the ring. I think it's an interesting match up. Cotto is not to far past his prime and neither is Mayweather.

My question is what problems can Cotto Pose to Mayweather and vice versa?

IMO I think if it's an inside fight it could lean more towards Cotto by a slight advantage.

If it's more in the center of the ring and off the ropes, it favors Cotto. I honestly thing this could be a beautiful match!

One slight ripple which most people haven't mentioned is Cotto has an amazing Jab, one of the best in the sport. I would equate it to a Winky-esk jab it's not just a range finder it's an offensive weapon that disrupts not only timing but rhythm. I know it's an older fight but look at Cotto vs Shane he kept Shane off throwing it. A good jab is something that De la didn't posses something that.

I think post match it Cotto can really add to his run from no one Legacy getting a win or having a good showing. Considering some of his questionable opposition in his past. CW/PED fights with a guy who potentially/did used loaded gloves, I think he will be very determined and well prepared.

I think if Floyd wins In spectacular fashion and shuts Cotto out/Koes him especially at 154. Not only solidifies him as one of the best, but also moves him closer to negating any argument as being one of the best of his era. With a few more fights against top level competition could make him arguably one of the greatest going down as a 1st ballot HOF.

Thoughts?
            Cotto has only topped the scale once in his career at 154. That was with Mayorga. Florman was the closest at 153and a half. And Margarito was 152.

Foreman...good boxer,but no threat. Mayorga. Solid journeyman club fighter. Margartio Cheato...solid guy but has fell completely off since he got caught cheating. And he fought Cotto after Pacquiao beat him senseless. and you think what is in bold above?
            Are you serious are just trolling right now... lmfaoheheheheheheeee

Comment

• Originally posted by sapaw View Post
              looks like HBO will PPV it all all PPV will be shared by Floyd and Cotto ONLY! how generous HBO is! lol
              yeah exactly...obviously the networks get the majority of that money.

so I'm still wondering how he gets $30 million. I would guess $10-15 million.

Not that I care that much I hope cotto gets paid bank, I'm happy for him, just doesn't add up in my head.

Comment

• Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                You're not taking into account whatever his guarantee is.
                Because I don't know what the guarantee is, the only # I've heard was $15 from some random poster (which seems pretty damn high). But if it is in fact $15 mil guarantee that Cotto's getting, then the fight would have to do $1.5-1.6 mil buys for him to scratch that # (and that's before you take into account that he'd have to pay back his guarantee w/ interest, promotional fees and costs, etc).

Don't see this fight coming anywhere remotely close to that figure.

Comment

• Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
                  Oh, as if people clamoring for Shane freaking Mosley is more legit than Joshua Clottey. Shane lands on right hand on Mayweather and he somehow can ensure that Cotto is prepared to fight Mayweather.

Simple questions:

Does Floyd have fast hands? Yes. At 147 and 154, does Clottey have fast hands? Yes.

Does Floyd fight from a defensive posture? Yes. Does Clottey fight from a defensive posture? Yes.

Did Cotto have trouble breaking Clottey's guard? Yes. Will Cotto have trouble breaking Mayweather's guard? Most likely, yes.

In Mayweather's last two fights, was he mobile? No. Did he fight from the pocket, in the center from the guard position? Yes. Is Clottey mobile? Not really. In Cotto/Clottey, did Clottey fight from the pocket and from the guard?Yes.

Do Clottey and Mayweather have similar builds, frames and solid foundation of boxing acumen? Yes.

Is there anyone as good as Mayweather? No. Can anyone replicate his style? No. Did Clottey fight the type of fight in the Cotto match that Mayweather did against Mosley and Ortiz? Yes. He waiting for openings and attacked. He was hard to hit and Cotto barely got clean shots.

Therefore, its not too hard to follow along that with the best available options that Clottey is a good choice. I mean Adrien Broner? Chad Dawson? Floyd said that he will fight in the pocket, from a defensive position. He said so against MOsley and Ortiz and stuck true to word. What is Adrien Broner going to do, he's going to run and Cotto will just bully him effortlessly due to the size disparity. Dawson? I mean really.

People on NSB are just adept at being TMZ type of fans instead of looking at the bigger picture and look at things from a different angle.

When this fight paints an eerily similar picture to what we saw in Cotto/Clottey, I hope to remember this thread
                  Bro..........just no. I criticized the Mosley mentions too.

Clottey fights nothing like Floyd. Not all defensive postures are the same. Clottey fights out of a shell, exclusively. Floyd fights with a high guard some times but his defense is mostly reflex based, Clottey's is not. Clottey doesn't counter like Floyd does and he does NOT employ a shoulder roll under any circumstances.

That is not a good sparring partner....good partners are Kell Brook(for his offensive arsenal), Brad Soloman, Ishe Smith, and Steve Forbes.

Comment

• If Floyd takes the lead by controling the center of the ring by the 4 or 5th round he will have an easier fight with Cottos style. You back up a style like Cottos because he looses his ability to punch backing up. If he can't turn out after a step back he'll get stopped if Floyd wants to push the fight. I don't know Cottos will, I've seen him only twice and he reminds me of a light hitting Pepino Cuevas. Seems to be a southpaw converted and they struggle backing away as most fighters do.
                    I guess I'll see what Cottos made of regardless of victory or defeat, either way he needs to take advantage of the marketing opportunity in his biggest fight. My guess is that Floyd wins by KO if he works for it or settles on a distance win. Ray

Comment

• Originally posted by sapaw View Post
                      looks like HBO will PPV it all all PPV will be shared by Floyd and Cotto ONLY! how generous HBO is! lol
                      I imagine that they'll recoup whatever is needed to cover their costs of distributing the fight. But I think the point of PPV is that the money generated is meant to cover the costs of the fighters that standard HBO doesn't in their guarantee. So its essentially you earn what you sell so to speak.

On a WCB fight, HBO offers up a purse of say 5 million and that is split with the fighters and HBO covers its costs w/ endorsments and viewership. In HBO, I imagine that they don't put up purses in the traditional sense unless they are bidding w/ Showtime. But Floyd isn't going to showtime anyways so there is no bidding war to be had for his services and I imagine they allow him to take a large chunk of the pie

Comment

Working...
                      X