No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd won but the scorecards were a disgrace

Mayweather went into retirement rather than fight Cotto a few yrs back, now he fights Cotto at the right time, although it was a risky fight.

He's a master at waiting out his opponents until they are in decline. Roach knows this, we can tell by the relative silence that he's no longer convinced his man can win.
    Last edited by Don Mac; 05-06-2012, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• Fight could have gone either way. I thought Cotto won, but would not be offended by a close decision for Mayweather. The scorecards were disgraceful.

Waiting for SRL/Hagler comparisons.

Comment

• Floyd's ring walk music

Can anyone tell me the name of the song he walked out to last night?

Comment

• That was a highly entertaining fight. For the first 3 or 4 it looked like Cotto was destined to spend the night whiffing at air and eating shots like Marquez and Mosley. Didnt look like he had the speed to compete with Floyd, but then in the 6th he made some subtle adjustments and began finding a home for his jab, and he started landing some good blows that you havent seen floyd hit with in years(or ever). He had 2 good rounds that I scored for him, if I scored some close rounds for him I'd say Cotto won 4 at most.

Over all Cotto did very well and he constantly put in some great work in most rounds even though he clearly wasnt winning that many of them. I feel very proud for the guy....considering I wanted him to retire after the Pac beating. Very impressed with his determined effort.

With all of that said about Cotto, I think a major part of his success had to do with Mayweather's style. Floyd is the kind of fighter that can take his opponent's measure, and dish out in return. He is defensively skilled enough to allow his opponent to throw everything he's got at him, then he comes back with his own clean crisp punches that penetrated Cotto's defensive guard with ease in the early half of the fight.

Although we did clearly witness Floyd have to dig down and overcome serious adversity, I still firmly believe that Money felt like he was in control the whole time, as he likely was.

I dont know if it has to do with his legs, but floyd is deciding to stay inside the pocket alot more lately. Could he be altering his style more offensively to be more appealing to the general public(casual fans) or could it be that his age has more to do with it.

From what I see from 24/7 it does not appear like Mayweather follows much of a nutritional plan to help bring the best out of his body. He eats Micky Ds, Burger King, and all that yummy grubby ****. As far as I know Hopkins doesnt put any of that kind of stuff in his body. He eats all raw and organic as far as I know, and I definitely think it has had something to do with him being an A level fighter at age 47.

Floyd needs to incorporate some of these nutritional science methods that alot of fighters are using now. Obviously Cotto didnt use roids to maintain his stamina for 12 rounds....so who knows, maybe there is something there. I think an optimized Floyd would be that much further away in class from everyone else, and well into his late 30s if he wanted to.

Comment

• The scores were a disgrace, no question. I had Mayweather clear by 2 points

Comment

• interesting watching both HBO and the coverage that had Bob Sheridan commentating HBO had it much closer and were trying to convince the viewer that Cotto was doing better than he actually was wereas i found Sheridan's commentary closer to what was actually happening but even he was being too generous to Floyd i think

Mayweather clearly won the fight though imo he was in control at all times

Comment

• Cotto vs Mayweather - Disgraceful judging on a competitive fight

They gave Mayweather all the close rounds.

I would give the close rounds either to the Champ, or to the guy pressing the action. Cotto was the champ. He also pressed the action most of the time.

USA Today and LA Times 115 - 113, Miguel Cotto.
                NOTICEL 115 - 113, Floyd Mayweather
                Arum said that after nine rounds Cotto was winning 96-95, but faded late and Mayweather deserved the win. (search on google since I think I can't put the link)

I can live with either score.

No hate towards Mayweather. I also congratulate his fans. But I congratulate Floyd because he is smart and said that Cotto could be tricked. Fighting a Las Vegas fighter, in Las Vegas, with three Vegas judges. Smart m'fer.

However, I disagree with the scorecards.

Comment

• Cotto seemed pretty much unchanged to me, except for the decent jab on occasion. Perhaps Diaz helped raise his stamina a bit from what I can tell.

Comment

• I had it 10 rounds to 2, Maybe 11 to 1 because I gave cotto one of the later rounds as a comparative round.

I still need to rewatch it sober though.
                    Last edited by DARKSEID; 05-06-2012, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• "A bad book is as much of a labor to write as a good one, it comes as sincerely from the author's soul." - Aldous Huxley

That concept applies to everything we do. Cotto invested all of himself into this fight, and of course would feel this way. He's disappointed that his best wasn't enough, I doubt an unbiased Cotto would say he won the fight hands-down. But he's the one fighting, so why shouldn't he feel some type of way about it? It's not like Ortiz's dumb-ass who was smiling after he got dropped like a bad habit from a 2-piece. Now THAT was weird.

Comment

Working...
                      X