No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EdWins View Post
    Even if Cotto was just hitting shoulders and elbows all the work effort constitutes a winning round over someone who isn't doing anything at all. And even when May did choose to mix it up from what I remember Cotto got the better of him, and hell he even outboxed him in some rounds. It was when May started landing them uppercuts that he really took control of the fight...

Cotto showed that May is not invincible, just accept that.
    YOU as a fan may want to reward Effort and Wild Flurries but a lot of judges are not going to do that, especially with the opponent is answering your flurries with accurate counter punches

Cotto had that 1 Round in which he clearly dominated Mayweather, no doubt about that, if he had more rounds like that then yes...HE WOULD HAVE WON, but Mayweather came back stronger after that round and once again starting landing ACCURATE SHOTS

I am kinda wasting my time going back and forth over this topic because it is really no controversy, other then a few fans on the internet, nobody is arguing that "COTTO WAS ROBBED" other then Cotto Fans, Pacquiao Fans and People who just desperately want to see Mayweather lose

Comment

• Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post
      Actually you can..
      Okay so you mean to tell me, hypothetically if a fighter was backing another fighter up, throwing punches nonstop for an entire round while the other fighter just sits there and blocks every punch, he wins the round? Because he blocked every punch, even though he didn't do ****?

C'mon man, I reward defensive skills in a bout, but I also reward work-rate. Let's not be ridiculous here with how rounds are scored.

Comment

• Originally posted by sicko View Post
        YOU as a fan may want to reward Effort and Wild Flurries but a lot of judges are not going to do that, especially with the opponent is answering your flurries with accurate counter punches

Cotto had that 1 Round in which he clearly dominated Mayweather, no doubt about that, if he had more rounds like that then yes...HE WOULD HAVE WON, but Mayweather came back stronger after that round and once again starting landing ACCURATE SHOTS

I am kinda wasting my time going back and forth over this topic because it is really no controversy, other then a few fans on the internet, nobody is arguing that "COTTO WAS ROBBED" other then Cotto Fans, Pacquiao Fans and People who just desperately want to see Mayweather lose
        I never once said that the fight was controversial, all I've been saying is that the fight was close, and that I agree with the original poster that I too had the fight a draw.

Again, I am going to rewatch the fight in a bit, and I will see if I have a different score, but I doubt it.

Comment

Okay so you mean to tell me, hypothetically if a fighter was backing another fighter up, throwing punches nonstop for an entire round while the other fighter just sits there and blocks every punch, he wins the round? Because he blocked every punch, even though he didn't do ****?

C'mon man, I reward defensive skills in a bout, but I also reward work-rate. Let's not be ridiculous here with how rounds are scored.
          but Cotto workrate was low in that fight

Comment

If Floyd was bobbing, weaving, and slipping all them punches without getting touched ala Whitaker, I would say that he can win the round just on defensive brilliance. Truth is, although he was blocking many shots, he was still getting hit on the arms, shoulders, etc. I personally would give a round like that to the fighter who's busier, pushing the action, and being the agressor over the one who's just playing the ropes and taking the hits regardless if he's blocking many of them or not.
            Last edited by Deevel916; 05-13-2012, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• Same score, having watched it numerous times. 118-110 Floyd.

Could easily 117-111 being the most fair, and 116-112 if you really favored Cotto.

Cotto won rounds 6 and 8, and the 9th could have gone either way.

Comment

The answer to your hypothetical is yes, you should give more credit for effective defense than you do ineffective aggressiveness.

This is all irrelevant to Floyd's latest fight because he was actually busier than Cotto. The idea that he was just laying in the ropes not firing back is false.

Comment

• Floyd was busier and landed more. Cotto wasn't as busy and landed less.

Cotto won 2-3 rounds being the most fair, 4 at the most. My god, i would truly not watch boxing if some of these Cotto stans and Floyd haters were judges.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                    Same score, having watched it numerous times. 118-110 Floyd.

Could easily 117-111 being the most fair, and 116-112 if you really favored Cotto.

Cotto won rounds 6 and 8, and the 9th could have gone either way.
                    The crazy thing is, when i was there I had it WAY closer. But of course I was enjoying the atmosphere and not really scoring the fight. After I re-watched it, Floyd had at least 8 rounds...

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                      Floyd was busier and landed more. Cotto wasn't as busy and landed less.

Cotto won 2-3 rounds being the most fair, 4 at the most. My god, i would truly not watch boxing if some of these Cotto stans and Floyd haters were judges.
                      Well yeah, we are not professionally licensed judges, and we have enough bad judges in boxing as it is. I just do my best to score fights fairly but apparently I've got it all wrong. Apparently, being defensive is more important than actually throwing punches

Comment

Working...
                      X