No announcement yet.

HBO Screws Arum and Cotto, Arum Threatens To Screw Them Back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
    Martinez is 35 already so I don't know how much his brand will grow. And, his opponent is TBA, so we don't even know what type of opponent he will be fighting.

If he fights Dzinziruk or Pirog then HBO making the right move. However, if he fights a lesser fight. Then I don't know how anybody can justify that move. And, HBO would get disappointed because they won't receive the ratings that a Cotto will bring which will hurt in the long run.
    Don't get me wrong I like Cotto but if we are talking about who is a bigger boxer right now then Martinez just had an impressive when. He deserves it more that Cotto who has been treading water lately. Let Cotto win big and earn it, you can't live off past work forever. Though I will admit a doubleheader would have been genius. Maybe HBO should hire you to make these decisions lol.

Comment

What dumbasses.

We will go two months without seeing any good fights then these geniuses have two of the biggest names in the game fighting on the same night.

Fuck boxing

Comment

Originally posted by badnewsbrown View Post
        what about cotto vs williams, angulo, margarito, berto or cintron etc? all good fights. nobody wants to see this bum vanes
        Vanes=top rank

Comment

Now I have to watch the fight on a ****ty stream cause I dont have the money to dish out $50 to Arum's greedy ass.

Comment

Lol. Elmalo is the only hardcore Cotto fan on this thread that made a decent post unlike the TS. Here is the thing. Arum should not be crying about HBO kicking Cotto to the curb because he turned down both Martinez and Berto and it's a guarantee that Cotto's fight would be televised if he fought one of those two guys. And I'll go out on a limb and say it's Cotto's fault that the fight with Berto isn't happening because we heard Dibella say that he wouldn't price Berto out.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingTech718 View Post
              Don't get me wrong I like Cotto but if we are talking about who is a bigger boxer right now then Martinez just had an impressive when. He deserves it more that Cotto who has been treading water lately. Let Cotto win big and earn it, you can't live off past work forever. Though I will admit a doubleheader would have been genius. Maybe HBO should hire you to make these decisions lol.
              If 1.5mil gets Cotto-Vanes done then just add another 1.5mil and get Martinez-TBA and have a double header. I think that would have been a great business from HBO stand point.

Again if Martinez fights a solid opponent than it is a good move. However, if he fights joe blow than I think that move will bite them in the ass rating wise.

Comment

Arum needs HBO. Every fight would be on top rank PPV if he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
                  http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=5950334

I can't believe they decided to take a Martinez fight over a Cotto fight and then put a Martinez fight on the same ****ing date. That makes 0 business sense for HBO. Cotto makes more than half of what Martinez could do for them and they screw him? Who gave them the best ratings this year? Miguel Cotto that's who.
                  HBO wants Cotto to fight Martinez or another top fighter that's why they rejected Arum's offer.

Comment

Oh, yes we will don't be silly.
                    we'll see......

Comment

Here is the thing, who is Martinez going to fight? His opponent right now is a TBA...The only 3 choices so far were Zbik, Dzinziruk, and Lee.

Is Zbik better than Vanes? But, to be fair to HBO they turned it down.

Lee, will Martinez-Lee get more ratings than Cotto-Vanes? Lets not forget that Cotto-Foreman did the highest ratings this year. So Cotto still has that star power. But, HBO turned down Lee it seems.

Dzinziruk, now I like this fight. I would pick this fight over Cotto-Vanes. However, ratings I don't know it would do. Sadly it seems like there is not enough money to make Martinez-Dzinziruk so that is a problem.

What if Martinez ends up fighting a lesser opponent than those 3 named? What then? Would it still be considered a smart move for HBO? I still don't understand why the picked a Martinez fight when he doesn't even have an opponent named yet.

And, will their be an undercard? What HBO should of done was offer both Arum and Dibella 2.5mil-3.5mil to split and televised both fights and split the cites. Have Dibella do his own show in New York and have the B.A.D crew there and have Arum do his own show in Vegas and have the WCB crew there.

And, everybody probably would of been happy, you get both Cotto and Martinez it would be a double header and maybe potentially a build up for a potential match up for both.

HBO did something similar with Hopkins and Jones earlier in the decade. But, they missed the boat once again cuz Greenburg is not a boxing guy.
                      Splitting the sites cost more money, and two fights with decent names in both would also cost more money. HBO had to make a choice. Go with the guy who's hot right now and rising, or the guy who can be hot but is declining. At the end of the day, from a business stand point, Martinez is a better investment.

Also, while we don't know the opponent, that could be a good thing. It could mean that it's anyone from the best or just another one of the guys in the division. Hopefully it's the former, but we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Working...
                      X