No announcement yet.

HBO Screws Arum and Cotto, Arum Threatens To Screw Them Back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO Screws Arum and Cotto, Arum Threatens To Screw Them Back

Arum, however, is unhappy with HBO. Cotto has long been a staple of the network and Arum said he offered the network Cotto-Martirosyan for $1.5 million -- a reasonable price compared to what Cotto fights usually command -- and was turned down because HBO had given the date to middleweight champ Sergio Martinez, who does not have an opponent.

That did not sit well with Arum, who was seething.

"We've let them know we are going on March 12 on pay-per-view," Arum said. "If they want to do a show against our pay-per-view show that is a major development between HBO and ourselves. We announced we are going on that date. We have cleared the date with the [cable and satellite] industry and they've known it, so this is a major development.

"Cotto has been on HBO for seven years and they rejected a decent Cotto fight. I don't think they know s---. We offered it for a bargain price. They said 'no' and are going with another fight. That is going to affect all of our relationships in the coming years and I emphasize all of our relationships."

Arum was clearly intimating that by taking another fight over a Cotto fight on March 12 it would impact his business dealings with the network as it relates to his other fighters, including Pacquiao. Arum does not have a deal with HBO PPV to carry Pacquiao-Mosley.

"They won't buy Cotto, but it's their money. You can't tell them how to spend their money," Arum said. "But it's wrong that they would do this to Cotto, who has given them great ratings and great fights. Not doing a good fight with Cotto at a reasonable number and then jumping on his date? That's wrong."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=5950334

I can't believe they decided to take a Martinez fight over a Cotto fight and then put a Martinez fight on the same ****ing date. That makes 0 business sense for HBO. Cotto makes more than half of what Martinez could do for them and they screw him? Who gave them the best ratings this year? Miguel Cotto that's who.

Martinez as a boxer >>>

Comment

They skipped the part about how HBO was pushing for Cotto vs Martinez. And Cotto vs Berto.

Both were rejected.

So boo hoo if HBO doesn't want Cotto vs Vanes.

Comment

Tell you the truth, Martinez is a good boxer to watch too, however Cotto is also a fan friendly boxer to watch.

Cotto gives good ratings too.

Oh well, Martinez has a lto fo hype about him.

Comment

Martinez >>> knee taking quitter.

Props to Hbo for taking him down a notch.

Comment

I think Arum only has himself and his in house style to blame. It is a well known fact sometimes for a boxer to become a superstar, a promoter has to take a loss.

He arranges a nothing fight for Cotto and expects to breakeven at it, instead what he could have done is put Cotto in again Berto or someone like Dzinziruk. Arum can make this happen, he knows it as do you all.

Take a hit and put him on against a fighter from another promotion company, then once he won the fans would accept a fight of cotto vs marg, if he won that, it sets it up nicely for a cotto vs pac rematch

Comment

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
              I think Arum only has himself and his in house style to blame. It is a well known fact sometimes for a boxer to become a superstar, a promoter has to take a loss.

He arranges a nothing fight for Cotto and expects to breakeven at it, instead what he could have done is put Cotto in again Berto or someone like Dzinziruk. Arum can make this happen, he knows it as do you all.

Take a hit and put him on against a fighter from another promotion company, then once he won the fans would accept a fight of cotto vs marg, if he won that, it sets it up nicely for a cotto vs pac rematch
              Mayorga is with Don King, just for the record.

I think what Arum is obviously doing here, is he doesn't want to RISK a loss for Cotto by putting him in with Martinez or Berto because Arum wants Cotto vs Margarito II later in the year. That's a big money fight, no matter what people say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalisticMeth View Post
                http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=5950334

I can't believe they decided to take a Martinez fight over a Cotto fight and then put a Martinez fight on the same ****ing date. That makes 0 business sense for HBO. Cotto makes more than half of what Martinez could do for them and they screw him? Who gave them the best ratings this year? Miguel Cotto that's who.
                It does make business sense. HBO want Cotto to fight Martinez. Simples

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                  Mayorga is with Don King, just for the record.

I think what Arum is obviously doing here, is he doesn't want to RISK a loss for Cotto by putting him in with Martinez or Berto because Arum wants Cotto vs Margarito II later in the year. That's a big money fight, no matter what people say about it.
                  Damn the top kinda ruins my point a bit but still i bet Arum made a deal so he wont lose money.

He has to build Cotto up again, I don't mean martinez, I will be honest at 154 there are two champs who I have no idea about. Arum should make a fight against him and make him have 2 titles at 154, that will raise his stock again. Also I believe the IBO or IBF title is vacant, against margo if he could arrange the fight at 154 and try to get that title on the line plus cottos 2 belts

What I am basically saying is that Arum needs to take some risk for both cotto, I am certain Pac vs Cotto at 154 would generate big interest, it wont do 1.25m buys but should do around 1.1m imo

You need to trust in cottos ability arum! Look at it this way, do what the klits or don king does, give berto the cotto fight but have it in contract their next fight must be against pac at a 65-35 split, either way arum will make big bucks

Comment

Arum won't do jack shit.

Comment

Working...
                    X