No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez Crushes Paul Williams in Two Rounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LeadUppercut View Post
    Sure, but Sergio was the man at 160, it was for all the marbles.

And it was probably Williams biggest payday.
    You keep saying "probably" but you haven't substantiated that it is or isn't his biggest payday. The rematch was for all the marbles. The first fight was a "fire your manager" moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
      yep, if pwill was any kind of smart, he'd have stuck around at WW and attempted to unify.

even if he cleaned out 154 lbs, that would've been impressive and would've not allowed cotto or pac to capture titles there.
      He tried to fight Cotto and Margarito and Mosley and they all wouldn't fight him. What was he supposed to do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceta Lives View Post
        He tried to fight Cotto and Margarito and Mosley and they all wouldn't fight him. What was he supposed to do?
        Get KTFO by Martinez in spectacular fashion for an undisclosed purse amount at a catchweight.

Comment

• Originally posted by switchsouthpaw View Post
          You're totally missing the point. He didn't even have to fight Martinez the first time.
          no, but he gave us some great fights. that's all you can ask for.

In this current climate of boxing, boxers are going for pay days not remaining in their respective weight classes to clean them out.
          doesn't mean pwill should've done that

Unfortunately the current business climate of boxing doesn't leave with you much of a choice.
          sure you do... don't move up.

It's happening at 140 because half those guys have no other choice, apart from Khan or Ortiz who have the ability to become cross over stars. I guarantee you either Devon or Tim couldn't sell water to a well and I like those guys.
          if i'm bradley or alexander, I clean out 140 lbs before I move up to fight pac or floyd. some might say that's stupid as **** because you're giving up a payday that might not come around again, but if you ain't ready you ain't ready.

Guys like Quintana and Martinez are cluster ****s, slick southpaws that no one else wants a piece of, but at least Paul took the chance and I give him credit for that.
          quintana is garbage.

I give pwill credit for fighting martinez, but the rematch took way too ****in long to make. pwill acted like he didn't want it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iceta Lives View Post
            keep fighting and get in contention for their belts. marg is the super champ. fine, beat the ordinary champ. cotto has the gold belt? fine, beat someone up for the silver belt. mosley won't fight? fine, get your promoter to make an ABC org to make a fight with mosley for the mandatory for marg's belt.

look... berto, pwill, and wifbeater are all managed by haymon. why not get haymon to advise one of the other two to fight him.

they can't ignore pwill forever if he fights at 147 lbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
              no, but he gave us some great fights. that's all you can ask for.

doesn't mean pwill should've done that

sure you do... don't move up.

if i'm bradley or alexander, I clean out 140 lbs before I move up to fight pac or floyd. some might say that's stupid as **** because you're giving up a payday that might not come around again, but if you ain't ready you ain't ready.

quintana is garbage.

I give pwill credit for fighting martinez, but the rematch took way too ****in long to make. pwill acted like he didn't want it.

I'm not saying what PWill should or shouldn't have done. You have a certain window in boxing where you have your best years, and in those years you look for opportunities to make the best money you can and that means chasing May or Pac, unfortunately it means that for everyone . The point is Williams had the balls to get in the ring twice with Martinez who is a handful for everyone and anyone. Quintana isn't garbage, he was skilled and slick during his best years. To have reached that level and be successful a few times means he was doing something right, but that's merely my opinion. If I was advising PWill I would have told him not to do it. I would have picked a conventional fighter. You have to match your fighter correctly and like a stock watch it grow. Williams in his haste to fight anyone and everyone is to be admired for that, but he paid a price for it tonight and will probably never be the same again. If Williams stayed at 147 or even 154, how many dates would HBO have reserved for him, if any at all? He wouldn't have been making as much money as people think. He simply wanted a big payday and I don't fault him for that.
              Last edited by switchsouthpaw; 11-21-2010, 03:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Q View Post
                WOOOOOOOOW!!!!! Now that was a real knockout of a real fighter. I saw it coming in the first round. After rewatching the Pac fight not only was that a tough ass fight for Pac but people really need to stop calling him an All Time Great cause he's not. He's a great fighter but not an All Time Great!!!! Manny didn't just roll over Margarito like Shane did. Manny got hit with some vicious shots in there that a great fighter wouldn't be getting hit with. It would be suicide to put Manny in there with Martinez cause Martinez would slaughter his ass. Manny is a very likable guy I just wish he would've stuck to his original story of playing it safe in the last round instead of using the "I was carrying him thing" cause truthfully Manny couldn't get Margarito out of there. No more Cheato, Margarito is a tough MF. I say **** PBF vs Pac give me PBF vs Martinez. It would be a very tough assignment for Floyd but that's what great fighters are made from. WOOOW!!!

ignore this idiot he is one of those PBF CHEERLEADERS

Comment

• Originally posted by switchsouthpaw View Post
                  I'm not saying what PWill should or shouldn't have done. You have a certain window in boxing where you have your best years, and in those years you look for opportunities to make the best money you can
                  nope. in your best years, you take on dangerous fights while you still got your speed and your legs. you don't wanna fight young cats when you're past your prime. you wanna fight the best while you're at your best.

and that means chasing May or Pac, unfortunately it means that for everyone .
                  you don't have to chase pac or wifebeater. nobody is forcing you. you choose to do that.

The point is Williams had the balls to get in the ring twice with Martinez who is a handful for everyone and anyone.
                  agreed.

Quintana isn't garbage, he was skilled and slick during his best years. To have reached that level and be successful a few times means he was doing something right, but that's merely my opinion.
                  hell no. quintana is a b-level boxer maybe even c+ level boxer.

If I was advising PWill I would have told him not to do it. I would have picked a conventional fighter. You have to match your fighter correctly and like a stock watch it grow.
                  hell no. no ducking or avoiding tough fights. how about getting pwill to fight with some mutha****ing defense. how about advising pwill to get a real trainer. those are better options than ducking fights with martinez.

Williams in his haste to fight anyone and everyone is to be admired for that, but he paid a price for it tonight and will probably never be the same again.
                  why admired? he's been paid. that's his job ain't it, to fight anyone and everyone?

If Williams stayed at 147 or even 154, how many dates would HBO have reserved for him, if any at all?
                  c'mon man, he's a haymon fighter... they get HBO welfare

He wouldn't have been making as much money as people think.
                  probably the same

He simply wanted a big payday and I don't fault him for that.
                  I do. how about worrying about try improving your game instead of improving your bank account? maybe then he wouldn't have gotten KTFO.

Comment

• Margarito will knock out Martinez

Originally posted by elcashanilla View Post
                    knock out of the year martinez vs margarito any1 margarito does own a win over martinez
                    Martinez has a difficult time with Margarito in the first fight. Since then, nothing really change in Martinez style. As they said, styles make fights. At middleweight, Marga will knock out Martinez. Mosley knocked Marga because he was drained to 147 plus the mental warp due to the wrap.

Comment

• Called it.......

11-18-2010, 09:50 PM
                      GRUSTLER
                      Undisputed Champion

Martinez got this one. I think after watching Paul
                      get tagged by everything in the match with Kermit
                      "The leap frog" Cintron. Martinez will prove too quick
                      and skilled for Williams. The first fight, Paul got off
                      but Martinez was busting Paul up. Both men have
                      had a chance to train for one another now and that
                      means Martinez should walk away with the win because
                      he beat Paul the first time in my opinion. Boxers like
                      Martinez can hit Paul at will.

I knew Sergio Martinez would be too much
                      for Paul Williams if he had proper time to train.
                      Both didn't prior but Martinez was the better of
                      the two. Guess Paul didn't study Martinez
                      but Martinez studied Paul.

Comment

Working...
                      X