No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez Crushes Paul Williams in Two Rounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lopez36 View Post
    oh really? so cotto didnt take a lot of shots from marg? cotto didn't take a lot of shots from clottey?...hatton wasn't hit a lot by collazo? by floyd?...margarito wasn't dominated by mosley? didn't he look awful against garcia? marg also got hit a lot by cotto,',they were in tough fights and fights like that take a lot out of you,they soften you up...you tell me shane isn't past it already and he also took a lot of shots from mayorga,mayweather,he looked awful against mora,and all of a sudden if pac beats him thats a great victory?..no way,,well thats all for tonight,later
    IT'S BOXING. PEOPLE GET HIT AND HURT IN BOXING. YES, THEY DO. Go back to your room and play on your PSP.

Comment

• Originally posted by LeadUppercut View Post
      It was a world title fight, and probably his biggest payday.
      He could have fought anyone to get a belt, c'mon there are 1000 belts out there. Everyone else avoids slick southpaws like the plague. My point is he fought guys that one else wanted a piece of and I give him credit for that. He took a chance and that's all you can ask of a fighter...winning and losing comes second to respect. Just ask Diego Corrales and Arturo Gatto.

Comment

oh really? so cotto didnt take a lot of shots from marg? cotto didn't take a lot of shots from clottey?...hatton wasn't hit a lot by collazo? by floyd?...margarito wasn't dominated by mosley? didn't he look awful against garcia? marg also got hit a lot by cotto,',they were in tough fights and fights like that take a lot out of you,they soften you up...you tell me shane isn't past it already and he also took a lot of shots from mayorga,mayweather,he looked awful against mora,and all of a sudden if pac beats him thats a great victory?..no way,,well thats all for tonight,later
        Again "perspective". All those men traded hard shots with each other and remained neck and neck. Cotto just happened to capitulate first. Cotto was in a shoot out prior to Margarito at 140 with Torres. Judah was ktfo and had done the chicken dance multiple times prior to facing Mayweather, and so did Gatti. It doesn't change their legacy. Pac was in tough fights, especially with Marquez, based on your theory...shouldn't he have been softened up too? Or could it be, just maybe you're witnessing a special athlete ply his trade. Pac took a lot of big shots from Morales in their first fight as well, wouldn't he have been softened up for his future opponents as well? C'mon brother apply some perspective to your comments.
        Last edited by switchsouthpaw; 11-21-2010, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LAFIRPO View Post
          Paul Williams never backed down from any fight. And he should be given credit.
          He gets credit for getting KTFO.

Comment

• best ko ive seen in years

Comment

Okay so using your criteria, anyone who has been in tough fights or wars, should never be allowed title shots because they would be softened up by that time? Makes a lot of sense. Leonard lost prior to his win over Marvin Hagler, or do you discount that win also?

Comment

• Originally posted by switchsouthpaw View Post
                So what? It's a ****ing business and he wanted a payday like everyone else. Instead he's forced to take on guys with no upside in Martinez or even Cintron, while guys around him get opportunities for super stardom and massive paydays. I don't blame Paul for wanting that, that's called being ambitious.
                If Paul was ambitious, then he should have settled on a division and cleaned it out, instead of wandering around looking like he's lost.

Fighting Martinez for all the marbles at 160 should have been his biggest goal. You make it sound like securing this fight was a booby-prize for Williams.

Comment

• Originally posted by switchsouthpaw View Post
                  He could have fought anyone to get a belt, c'mon there are 1000 belts out there. Everyone else avoids slick southpaws like the plague. My point is he fought guys that one else wanted a piece of and I give him credit for that. He took a chance and that's all you can ask of a fighter...winning and losing comes second to respect. Just ask Diego Corrales and Arturo Gatto.
                  Sure, but Sergio was the man at 160, it was for all the marbles.

And it was probably Williams biggest payday.

Comment

If Paul was ambitious, then he should have settled on a division and cleaned it out, instead of wandering around looking like he's lost.

Fighting Martinez for all the marbles at 160 should have been his biggest goal. You make it sound like securing this fight was a booby-prize for Williams.

You're totally missing the point. He didn't even have to fight Martinez the first time. In this current climate of boxing, boxers are going for pay days not remaining in their respective weight classes to clean them out. Unfortunately the current business climate of boxing doesn't leave you with much of a choice. It's happening at 140 because half those guys have no other choice, apart from Khan or Ortiz who possess the ability to become cross over stars. I guarantee you either Devon or Tim couldn't sell water to a well and I like those guys. Guys like Quintana and Martinez are cluster ****s, slick southpaws that no one else wants a piece of, but at least Paul took the chance and I give him credit for that.
                    Last edited by switchsouthpaw; 11-21-2010, 03:28 AM.

Comment

yep, if pwill was any kind of smart, he'd have stuck around at WW and attempted to unify.

even if he cleaned out 154 lbs, that would've been impressive and would've not allowed cotto or pac to capture titles there.

Comment

Working...
                      X