Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing vs MMA.... MMA is growing GLOBALLY. Boxing ain't!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by why-o-why View Post
    Yes for the moment boxing does bigger PPV numbers. But the problem with boxing is that it seems to have stagnated in it's global growth.

I'm from Australia and trust me. EVERY YOUNG KID is taking up MMA or talking about MMA.

It has been marketed very very well and hence is drawing the younger generation towards it. It's the 'hip' thing to do right now.

People in America or other older boxing nations probably don't see the spread of MMA as boxing has a strong foundation in them countries. But if you look at countries without a boxing history. 100% guaranteed MMA is ruling supreme in them countries. Boxing is almost dead here in Australia.

You won't find a person let's say under the age of 20 even talk about boxing or know who the fk majority of these boxers are. Hell there ain't even that many boxing gyms here in Sydney. But if you goto a regular gym and walk into the kickboxing rooms. EVERYONE is practicing MMA. Rarely will you find kids boxing.

I think give maby 10 more years. MMA is gona have a big big big stronghold in countries without a boxing history.

The way UFC markets MMA is brilliant. They ACTUALLY take the show to different countries. We just had some UFC here this year and it sold out in like 30mins. That's like as quick as a U2 concert selling out.

I mean seriously. When was the last time a big fight was held OUTSIDE USA??? I don't know how they can expect the sport to grow if all they wana do is hold every fight in Vegas??
    Nothing new here.Who said the two sports cant co-exist?
    Ever heard of the business life cycle?Boxing is a mature sport,it doesnt mean it's dying.A 1% growth of a mature sport is bigger than a 30% growth of the MMA sport.PPV numbers show the sport is not dead. Developing countries are having a boxing renaissance and so are the former Eastern block countries.MMA has to grow and get to the mature stage.Another thing with MMA is the novelty stage but will this stick?Their atheletes get paid peanuts too so that shows there isnt as much money in MMA than boxing

Comment

Originally posted by Flawless* View Post
      Agreed with the thread starter, I also live in Australia. No one knows anything about boxing but UFC is huge here. They know UFC fighters while only a select few could even name Pacman and Mayweather

Boxing growth has stagnated while UFC is looking towards new market. Boxing in America is watched by older generation whose imagination were captured by Holyfield,Tyson,Oscar and Tito.

Boxing is still heavily watched by the minority. UFC is a sub popular growing in young white America where the money really lies.
      UFC is shown on Free TV here in Australia aswell so that plays a huge role no doubt.

Boxing is only available on Foxtel and PPV and pretty much only hardcore boxing fans watch it.

Boxing should be back on free TV, but I doubt any of the networks will bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Flawless* View Post
        Agreed with the thread starter, I also live in Australia. No one knows anything about boxing but UFC is huge here. They know UFC fighters while only a select few could even name Pacman and Mayweather

Boxing growth has stagnated while UFC is looking towards new market. Boxing in America is watched by older generation whose imagination were captured by Holyfield,Tyson,Oscar and Tito.

Boxing is still heavily watched by the minority. UFC is a sub popular growing in young white America where the money really lies.
        I agree bro,The white americans are the one with money in america.In
        boxing theres no white american hero aka white hope to follow.But in ufc
        the majority are white americans.The majority of fans are white for ufc. Everyone likes to support there own.I really dont like ufc,But i like cain velaquez alot,For the fact he's mexican american like me.

Comment

Yes for the moment boxing does bigger PPV numbers. But the problem with boxing is that it seems to have stagnated in it's global growth.

I'm from Australia and trust me. EVERY YOUNG KID is taking up MMA or talking about MMA.

It has been marketed very very well and hence is drawing the younger generation towards it. It's the 'hip' thing to do right now.

People in America or other older boxing nations probably don't see the spread of MMA as boxing has a strong foundation in them countries. But if you look at countries without a boxing history. 100% guaranteed MMA is ruling supreme in them countries. Boxing is almost dead here in Australia.

You won't find a person let's say under the age of 20 even talk about boxing or know who the fk majority of these boxers are. Hell there ain't even that many boxing gyms here in Sydney. But if you goto a regular gym and walk into the kickboxing rooms. EVERYONE is practicing MMA. Rarely will you find kids boxing.

I think give maby 10 more years. MMA is gona have a big big big stronghold in countries without a boxing history.

The way UFC markets MMA is brilliant. They ACTUALLY take the show to different countries. We just had some UFC here this year and it sold out in like 30mins. That's like as quick as a U2 concert selling out.

I mean seriously. When was the last time a big fight was held OUTSIDE USA??? I don't know how they can expect the sport to grow if all they wana do is hold every fight in Vegas??

Same **** here. I'm Canadian and most people here are all over the UFC's balls. It's promoted so much here. When you bring up the guide on your cable box it has advertisements for the next UFC events. They have massive adverts in the newspaper everyday. Last week I got my cable bill and it had an advert for UFC printed right on my bill with a pic of Lesnar and Carwin. Our cable company I believe purposely ****s with the boxing schedule. The fights are never on when they are supposed to be and they don't advertise at all for boxing. I'm a hardcore fan and even I can't figure out when **** is on. If I can't figure it out then how can a casual viewer. I actually think the big wigs at the UFC are paying the big cable companies to push boxing out. The sad thing is the we have quite a few World champions here in Canada and they get zero exposure. They actually made the Lemieux vs Ayala a PPV here. Thats BS! it was a ****in FNF show WTF? It's BS what is going on and boxing really needs to step up.

I'm going to watch Olivia Gerula defend her WBC Super featherweight title tonight. Also the return of Chad Brisson. In my home city of Winnipeg barely anybody knows that we have a world champion in the city. We only have 800 000 people here. The day after Mayweather vs Mosley I had everyone coming up to me and asking if I seen the fight. Then when I would ask them if they were talking about the Mayweather fight they would tell me that they meant the UFC and that they did'nt even know that the May vs Mos fight even happened. Its sick really. thats why I'm rootin for Toney to KO Couture. He'll put boxing back on the map.
          Last edited by xAUGUSTUSx; 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xAUGUSTUSx View Post
            Same **** here. I'm Canadian and most people here are all over the UFC's balls. It's promoted so much here. When you bring up the guide on your cable box it has advertisements for the next UFC events. They have massive adverts in the newspaper everyday. Last week I got my cable bill and it had an advert for UFC printed right on my bill with a pic of Lesnar and Carwin. Our cable company I believe purposely ****s with the boxing schedule. The fights are never on when they are supposed to be and they don't advertise at all for boxing. I'm a hardcore fan and even I can't figure out when **** is on. If I can't figure it out then how can a casual viewer. I actually think the big wigs at the UFC are paying the big cable companies to push boxing out. The sad thing is the we have quite a few World champions here in Canada and they get zero exposure. They actually made the Lemieux vs Ayala a PPV here. Thats BS! it was a ****in FNF show WTF? It's BS what is going on and boxing really needs to step up.

I'm going to watch Olivia Gerula defend her WBC Super featherweight title tonight. Also the return of Chad Brisson. In my home city of Winnipeg barely anybody knows that we have a world champion in the city. We only have 800 000 people here. The day after Mayweather vs Mosley I had everyone coming up to me and asking if I seen the fight. Then when I would ask them if they were talking about the Mayweather fight they would tell me that they meant the UFC and that they did'nt even know that the May vs Mos fight even happened. Its sick really. thats why I'm rootin for Toney to KO Couture. He'll put boxing back on the map.
            Lemieux vs Ayala was on PPV??? damn.

Comment

I don't see MMA growing outside of the US, and maybe Brazil. Are there any sports in other countries that is comparable to MMA AND is popular? I just don't see it...

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Comment

Originally posted by xAUGUSTUSx View Post
                Same **** here. I'm Canadian and most people here are all over the UFC's balls. It's promoted so much here. When you bring up the guide on your cable box it has advertisements for the next UFC events. They have massive adverts in the newspaper everyday. Last week I got my cable bill and it had an advert for UFC printed right on my bill with a pic of Lesnar and Carwin. Our cable company I believe purposely ****s with the boxing schedule. The fights are never on when they are supposed to be and they don't advertise at all for boxing. I'm a hardcore fan and even I can't figure out when **** is on. If I can't figure it out then how can a casual viewer. I actually think the big wigs at the UFC are paying the big cable companies to push boxing out. the sad thing is the we have quite a few Wolrd champions here in Canada and they get zero exposure. They actually made the Lemieux vs Ayala a PPV here. Thats BS! it was a ****in FNF show WTF? It's BS what is going on and boxing really needs to step up.

I'm going to watch Olivia Gerula defend her WBC Super featherweight title tonight. Also the return of Chad Brisson. In my home city of Winnipeg barely anybody knows that we have a world champion in the city. We only have 800 000 people here. The day after Mayweather vs Mosley I had everyone coming up to me and asking if I seen the fight. Then when I would ask them if they were talking about the Mayweather fight and they would tell me that they meant the UFC and that they did'nt even know that the May vs Mos fight even happened. Its sick really. thats why I'm rootin for Toney to KO Couture. He'll put boxing back on the map.
                lol i wont be suprised if ufc is paying cable companies to ignore boxing.
                But i thought lucian bute was a superstar in canada?I saw that dude
                lemieux last fight on espn,And became a fan.He's already doing ppv?WTF

Comment

What the **** is this?

Boxing IS global, it's had 100 years to grow. Wlad vs a Bum draws 60,000 people to a football stadium. Calzaghe v Manfredo drew 40,000 people.

UFC is big... in the US. It's growing in other countries. Pacquiao v Clottey was just held in Dallas with supposedly 50,000-60,000 people but around 45,000 paying full price. We still have the Vegas fights but a large amount of them are Mayweather fights.

In Japan Koki Kameda draws OVER 50% of all TV views when he fights, who else does that? In any sport? (The Klitschko's actually do that but let's ignore that for a while) Hatton drew more than 20,000 people from England to Vegas. Margarito fought Garcia after they knew he tried to cheat in Mexico and still drew 20,000 people.

Boxing has had the biggest PPV buys as well over the past 5 years, it's not going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by onechance87 View Post
                    I agree bro,The white americans are the one with money in america.In
                    boxing theres no white american hero aka white hope to follow.But in ufc
                    the majority are white americans.The majority of fans are white for ufc. Everyone likes to support there own.I really dont like ufc,But i like cain velaquez alot,For the fact he's mexican american like me.

I'm a white Canadian and I ****in hate the UFC. Those big idiots don't have to much skill. But I'm not rich either. I grew up pretty poor and in a ****ty area. All I had to do as a kid was pull B and E's, Steal cars, tag, get high and pretend to be harcore or just go to the boxing gym. Most of the time I just went to the gym. Thats where I found my first love.

Comment

Yea but young kids right now don't see boxing as an art. If you get into a convo with them. They will say "pfffft them boxing gloves are huge. That won't hurt anyone". or "Boxing is boring because there is not a lot of blood involved". Some ****** comments like that!!

And trush me. MMA here in Australia is a HUGGGE THING RIGHT NOW!!
                      actually they dont see MMA as an art. all they see is its brutality. there is no sweet science to MMA.

sweet science=boxing=art

Comment

Working...
                      X