Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Million Buys?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He said that Floyd vs Marquez would do at least a million buys and no one believed him....I don't know man...2 millilon sounds more realistic, but imagine if this did 3 million....the numbers for Mayweather-Pacquiao would be ridiculous!
    Last edited by apokalips; 03-04-2010, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by javelin_fangs View Post
      That's the type of ultra simplistic thinking that got boxing to become a niche sport.

Let's be real...at this moment in time there isn't a big time heavyweight PPV star nor is there a big time Latino PPV star. Right now if a fight is going to do 1 million buys it has to involve either Mayweather or Pacquiao. If neither of those guys are in the fight it won't do a million buys. Neither of them are heavyweights, neither of them are Latino and one of them is a Black American. So, I'd say your criteria for judging a PPV's success is off. That said, I think 3 million is really high.

Then another thing to consider is that four of the greatest PPV stars of all time are black fighters; Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Ray Leonard and Floyd Mayweather.

Bob Arum and Larry Merchant believe that Black fighters can't become stars anymore. Dan Rafael believes whatever Arum and Merchant tell him to believe and that's one of the reasons he got booed so hard yesterday. But it doesn't matter how long these ****** writers keep making up reasons to deny Mayweather his props, Lil' Floyd has a mainstream following. If anyone could get to 3 million without fighting Pacquiao it'd be him against Mosley. I'm just not convinced they will get there. But I do have a lot of faith in Richard Schaefer's ability to promote a big event.
      its simplistic thinking based on truth and recent history.
      explain SSM, RJJ, hopkins. explain to me why black american fighters have small fan bases?

can you name the highest grossing PPV in recent history vs 2 black american fighters?

its a sad reality, but its the truth. now, granted this fight will do well since theyre both names, but beating DLH numbers is unrealistic.

Comment

it has all the potential because realestically we are all buying this fight even those who are not fans of MAYWEATHER. Mayweather today is probably the biggest draw in BOXING HISTORY!!! the guy is extremly special and talented as well. Pacman vs clottey probably wont do as good because of TOP RANK. But Pacman can also put up decent #'s as well. I like both but im not buying the PAC fight to be honest i will stream though but im def buying floyds fight you would be a crazy man to miss Floyd fight.

Comment

I'm going to say 1.5

No more than 2, IMO

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyh1015 View Post
            Mayweather today is probably the biggest draw in BOXING HISTORY!!! the guy is extremly special and talented as well.
            no. just no.
            DLH or tyson.

i just wonder how many people will be repeat buyers from the DLH fight. there was so much hype to that fight and it was such a huge letdown that the boxing industry is still feeling some effects from that stinker of a fight (missed opportunity for growth).
            remember, hardcore fans are intrigued so they will buy, casual fans want to be entertained. floyd doesnt have a great track record in the latter department.

Comment

Originally posted by Siggy View Post
              no. just no.
              DLH or tyson.

i just wonder how many people will be repeat buyers from the DLH fight. there was so much hype to that fight and it was such a huge letdown that the boxing industry is still feeling some effects from that stinker of a fight (missed opportunity for growth).
              remember, hardcore fans are intrigued so they will buy, casual fans want to be entertained. floyd doesnt have a great track record in the latter department.
              Then please explain Mayweather vs JMM? JMM never did half that with anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
                they will pad the PPV rate with coupons and other deals like that. I'm considering watching it at Home Depot, for instance.
                I'd be interested in knowing just how much those deals add to the PPV totals. I'd be surprised if they genuinely increased the buy rate by even 5%.

Comment

Originally posted by javelin_fangs View Post
                  Another thing that Richard Schaefer has been saying is that the Mayweather-Mosley fight will do 3 million buys. I'm not hating on dude, I'm not hating on the fight, but 3 million buys is A LOT of buys. There's a reason why it has never been done before. I mean only 1 fight has ever done 2 million buys.

He said the advertisements for this fight are bigger than any fight Golden Boy has ever done before, etc. I definitely see 2 million buys, but I have a hard time believing this fight will do 3 million buys. But if it does and Pacquiao doesn't even break 1 million with Clottey then the media needs to stop with the Pacquiao is the biggest star in the sport nonsense. Just my two cents.
                  i agree. i see the fight doing anywhere between 1.5 and 2, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Murder1 View Post
                    Then please explain Mayweather vs JMM? JMM never did half that with anybody else.
                    6 months of promotion.
                    mexican independence day weekend
                    24/7
                    inflated numbers

i personally dont think it did as well as reported.
                    theater option gave it a little bump as well. anybody know how they factored in the theater option into PPV buys? thats where i saw the fight.

Comment

I don't see it doing 3 million buys. That's just too much.

It'll definitely do over 1 million, though. No question about that.

Comment

Working...
                      X