Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Cotto have beaten most welters on Saturday?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by benjamin2004 View Post
    Cotto must go back to the basics that brought him to the level he is/was. He has totally regressed as a fighter, and I've been following him since day 1 in ESPN against Jason Deucet. Back then he was untouchable, his defense was pretty solid, he'd jab for no reason at all times, he'd crush the body and then go for the dome; he'd move laterally more; he'd bob and weave and slip punches like the best of them; but he has gone from that to a guy who is exhausted by round 6 or 7 when before he used to fight rounds 10-12 like a beast; no bobbing and weaving; just blocking with gloves and face; no slipping punches either; forgets about the jab; forgets about the body attack, I mean instead of improving he is diminishing. Get rid of Santiago and Landman, start from zero with certified professionals; stop being stingy and paid some cash if you want to get back to the top; otherwise PR will be crying pretty soon again and I am Puertorican, but Cotto has been on the slide lately.

I couldn't agree with you more. I too have followed Cotto for a long time, and I have not seen him regress as much as I have seen him fail to improve on his weaknesses. His jab was good before, now it is great. His body shots were really good before, and there is no indication that it is any less powerful, even if he doesn't go to the body as much in some of his fights. His conditioning was not a huge issue before because in many of his fights he was not pressured greatly. However, it is evident that if he is forced to work hard, he gets tired very easily, which is a huge problem for him. He needs better conditioning, a better right hand, and can improve his uppercuts, in essence a more complete arsenal. If he had those things last Saturday, I'm confident the outcome would have been different. I think he may have hit Pacquiao with one right hand... a shame. Anyway, the road to greatness for him needs to start with seriously working on his weaknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Manuel6 View Post
      I couldn't agree with you more. I too have followed Cotto for a long time, and I have not seen him regress as much as I have seen him fail to improve on his weaknesses. His jab was good before, now it is great. His body shots were really good before, and there is no indication that it is any less powerful, even if he doesn't go to the body as much in some of his fights. His conditioning was not a huge issue before because in many of his fights he was not pressured greatly. However, it is evident that if he is forced to work hard, he gets tired very easily, which is a huge problem for him. He needs better conditioning, a better right hand, and can improve his uppercuts, in essence a more complete arsenal. If he had those things last Saturday, I'm confident the outcome would have been different. I think he may have hit Pacquiao with one right hand... a shame. Anyway, the road to greatness for him needs to start with seriously working on his weaknesses.
      it does not matter how good his conditioning is.. if he bleeds out his nose like he did against margo and pac he will lose. I don't understand why people just ignore this fact!

Comment

bump this shiet

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_London View Post
          To me I think so, he was in great physical shape and had trained very hard clearly, I think he would have beaten most of the top guys that night even though he may be a bit diminished from his absolute peak a couple of years ago.
          Yes, including MAYWEATHER

Comment

Cotto should have fought Pacquiao the same way he fought Margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
              all bull**** aside, Cotto would have whooped on any welterweight on Saturday...he looked in great shape

unfortunately, he ran into an ATG...**** happens
              Great post, and I completely agree.

Comment

Cotto was in game shape. Pac is just better than he is.

Comment

Originally posted by (Fowler) View Post
                  Cotto Pre Margarito would have never been gun shy and would have stomped Pacquiao imo.
                  Pre-Margarito Cotto, if he was not gun shy would've been Koed earlier. He needed to box Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee1460 View Post
                    Cotto should have fought Pacquiao the same way he fought Margarito.
                    Easier said than done.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
                      Cotto was in game shape. Pac is just better than he is.

Mang you don't think it was because Cotto's not the same anymore? that didn't look like the cotto that beat judah or mosley.Margarito took something out of Cotto imo

Originally posted by Alibata View Post
                      Pre-Margarito Cotto, if he was not gun shy would've been Koed earlier. He needed to box Pacquiao.
                      hell na, Cotto would of walked through Pac's best shots pre margarito.Pacquiao would have been the one of the floor.you had to kill cotto to take his 0

That wasn't the cotto that back in the day was glowing confidence and who defeated mosley/judah

Comment

Working...
                      X