Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Cotto have beaten most welters on Saturday?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AKATheMack View Post
    Based on what? I got money saying Mosley looks old in his next fight, people got confused a year ago because Mosleys speed allowed him to beat a limited punching bag. Mosley looks his age against Berto and has a lot tougher fight than people are expecting.
    Cotto still had confidence before that fight, but now I really doubt he can ever become mentally strong again. Thing is while Shane lost against Cotto, back then it wasn't known that Cotto folds under pressuer, now we do. If Shane pressures him, I don't see Cotto going 12 and we know he has the chin and stamina and has a high workrate.

Comment

Cotto came to fight. He was in the great shape. He looked as quick as ever with his body movement. I thought he kept up with Pacquiao just fine through 6, he just got knocked down in the rounds he could have won.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
        Cotto still had confidence before that fight, but now I really doubt he can ever become mentally strong again. Thing is while Shane lost against Cotto, back then it wasn't known that Cotto folds under pressuer, now we do. If Shane pressures him, I don't see Cotto going 12 and we know he has the chin and stamina and has a high workrate.
        I just dont think Mosley has the offense to get at Cotto anymore though. Mosley is still a very good fighter, but hes not what he once was. Since losing twice to Winky he hasnt beaten a fighter with Cottos skills, his last win against that kind of opposition came in 2003. He could surprise me, because I know hes still good. I bet on him over Margo, but Margo doesnt possess Cottos boxing skills. Cotto also out boxed Mosley in the first fight, which would make it harder for Mosley to pressure him if he did it again.

Comment

I just dont think Mosley has the offense to get at Cotto anymore though. Mosley is still a very good fighter, but hes not what he once was. Since losing twice to Winky he hasnt beaten a fighter with Cottos skills, his last win against that kind of opposition came in 2003. He could surprise me, because I know hes still good. I bet on him over Margo, but Margo doesnt possess Cottos boxing skills. Cotto also out boxed Mosley in the first fight, which would make it harder for Mosley to pressure him if he did it again.
          Thing is Mosley probbably will not try to box this time. He will probably just chase Cotto, who cant fight off the back foot, chip away at him, and then end up with a TKO win.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
            Thing is Mosley probbably will not try to box this time. He will probably just chase Cotto, who cant fight off the back foot, chip away at him, and then end up with a TKO win.
            I cant really argue, that is a strong possibility. I just dont feel Mosley has what it takes to do that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Makavelli View Post
              all bull**** aside, Cotto would have whooped on any welterweight on Saturday...he looked in great shape

unfortunately, he ran into an ATG...**** happens
              I agree. I think that Cotto beats every welter including Mosley, excluding Floyd of course.

Comment

Cotto to me was the best welterweight in the world. Putting aside the wraps incident with Margarito and then the Clottey win where he didn't look his best (headbutt cut) he had already decisively beaten Mosley.

Comment

Based on what? I got money saying Mosley looks old in his next fight, people got confused a year ago because Mosleys speed allowed him to beat a limited punching bag. Mosley looks his age against Berto and has a lot tougher fight than people are expecting.
                  Originally posted by benjamin2004 View Post
                  Cotto must go back to the basics that brought him to the level he is/was. He has totally regressed as a fighter, and I've been following him since day 1 in ESPN against Jason Deucet. Back then he was untouchable, his defense was pretty solid, he'd jab for no reason at all times, he'd crush the body and then go for the dome; he'd move laterally more; he'd bob and weave and slip punches like the best of them; but he has gone from that to a guy who is exhausted by round 6 or 7 when before he used to fight rounds 10-12 like a beast; no bobbing and weaving; just blocking with gloves and face; no slipping punches either; forgets about the jab; forgets about the body attack, I mean instead of improving he is diminishing. Get rid of Santiago and Landman, start from zero with certified professionals; stop being stingy and paid some cash if you want to get back to the top; otherwise PR will be crying pretty soon again and I am Puertorican, but Cotto has been on the slide lately.
                  Agreed with both!!

Comment

Yes. He looked lean and he looked faster than I've ever seen him. He was just in there with a very special fighter that night.

Comment

After the Mosley fight and during the time he beat Gomez I thought Cotto wouldn't lose to anything out there, what a difference 1 1/2 years makes.

Comment

Working...
                      X