Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did de la Hoya agree to fight Pacquiao at 147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post

Stop it, Manny was just an exciting fighter in manlet divisions which only hardcore fans care about but not this superstar who had all of this pull in the biz until AFTER the Oscar fight. He demanded nothing because he was in no position to, don't revise history.
    Did the real talk get you flustered lol, yeah Manny can be King Kong if you want lots of fans think the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

Did the real talk get you flustered lol, yeah Manny can be King Kong if you want lots of fans think the same.
      No, I think I have just shown you what is what and shut your attempt down to rewrite boxing history making wild conspiratorial claims about some featherweight leveraging power he doesn't have to make one of boxing's biggest superstars come down to a weight he'd be compromised at.

Oscar did all of that himself, he just gave Manny a golden ticket to superstardom which he cashed in on big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post

No, I think I have just shown you what is what and shut your attempt down to rewrite boxing history making wild conspiratorial claims about some featherweight leveraging power he doesn't have to make one of boxing's biggest superstars come down to a weight he'd be compromised at.

Oscar did all of that himself, he just gave Manny a golden ticket to superstardom which he cashed in on big time.
        History is never rewritten, just reinterpreted; truth always shines through over the course of time. In the Olympics everybody seen the field fall over it didn't need time to see the merit of the win, with boxing it took longer for the most part to see Oscar was wrecked by the weight, and nowhere do I say Manny is not a great fighter, just he had help by the system more than others and sailed on bye because of his popularity, I see boxing for what it is I don't buy into the fan hype.

Comment

History is never rewritten, just reinterpreted; truth always shines through over the course of time. In the Olympics everybody seen the field fall over it didn't need time to see the merit of the win, with boxing it took longer for the most part to see Oscar was wrecked by the weight, and nowhere do I say Manny is not a great fighter, just he had help by the system more than others and sailed on bye because of his popularity, I see boxing for what it is I don't buy into the fan hype.
          Oscar got the brakes beat off him.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post

Oscar got the brakes beat off him.
            Thats because his brake pads were wasted away to nothing.

Comment

Nobody blamed Manny it was Oscars fault, it was a soft win over a wrecked fighter, I feel the 164 pound Oscar that stepped in with Floyd would have ran Manny over, and Floyd would have stopped the version Manny beat, the true merit of wins are hindsight when all the facts can be seen, the relationship between fightnight/weighin weight is a big big deal.
              read the comments on here... folks are saying pac cherry picked oscar, drained oscar down to 147, etc.!!! it's actually the other way around... oscar cherry picked manny thinking it would be an easy fight since pac was a 135 lbs fighter at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
                It was really ****** move back than. Ok, Pac was N.1. p4p fighter, but Oscar was a bigger draw and a cash cow. And he was a zombie at 147 than.

Maybe not the best comparison, but it was like Canelo would agree to fight Crawford at 160 now.
                Best payday out there at that time. Plus if you ever see Pacquiao in person. Looks like easy money.

Comment

Thats because his brake pads were wasted away to nothing.
                  You must have lost money on the fight and need an excuse in hindsight.
                  Last edited by djtmal; 05-08-2024, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Oscar De La Hoya underestimated Manny Pacquiao's abilities at the time 'Pacquiao's power and strength seemed to increased as he moved up through the weight classes'.

Even after Pacquiao's performance against De La Hoya 'I was still not sure whether Manny Pacquiao could really beat a solid more in form top level 147 fighter'.

Although the catch weight vs Miguel Cotto was unnecessary 'Pacquiao's performance against Miguel Cotto one of his best ever'.

That run of fights from Oscar De La Hoya to Shane Mosley, was one of the most brutal and awe inspiring boxing performances since Mike Tyson's first Heavyweight title reign.

In my opinion skill for skill, and in terms of the pure intensity 'There have been very few periods in fighters careers as Champions that compare'.

Note: Floyd Mayweather Junior was overall a greater Champion than Manny Pacquiao, but? He did not really produce the level of performance during his career 'Which was as brutal or awe inspiring as Manny Pacquia's form from Oscar De La Hoya to the Shane Mosely fight'.

I actually rate Floyd Mayweather Junior's wins against De La Hoya and Cotto slightly higher 'Because he fought them both at their most comfortable weights'.

But the manner in which Manny Pacquiao performed vs those fighters and the action produced 'Is what that stage of Pacquiao's career incredibly influential, peak Manny Pacquiao'.

It was difficult to conceptualize how Pacquiao was at times producing those performances 'At the time in the World of sports, only Usain Bolt was up staging Manny Pacquiao in terms of high level awe inspiring performances pound for pound' etc.

Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 05-08-2024, 01:50 PM.
                    IceTrayDaGang IceTrayDaGang likes this.

Comment

It was a calculated risk, the odds of Oscar making 147 strong at that point of his career was well known in Roaches head, he was talking about how they put a foot on the scales against Forbes and was adamant if Oscar was a 1/4 over its no fight, they knew the weight was crucial, and so does a lot more today than back then, look at fans today going on about a pound, which is true and has always been there, but fans that for the most part know very little about the sport under the bonnet know today weight is crucial.

Manny refusing to fight these guys without a CW that will have a negative impact on them tells a story, if it didn't matter why demand it, only a fanboy would believe it doesn't matter and was a major calculation in making the fights, Manny would never in a million years fight a 164 Oscar and Floyd made the same jumps from 130 as Manny did.

I don't have anything bad to say about Manny he was a great champion but as Teddy said his resume is man made and his style sold it to fans.
                      I don't think going from 108 to 147 and going from 130 to 147 can be described as the same thing.

Manny fought marg and marg weighed 165 pounds in the ring. Floyd never in a million years would fight marg instead choosing Sharma Mitchell for half thr money, Zab, Baldomir, retirement, etc..

Manny also fought oscar and it was oscars choice to weigh 147 because he was going to rematch Floyd at 147 and was already on weight for that fight a month into training camp. It's literally on the pac hoya 24/7. That's the same reason he didn't gain any weight after the weigh in. He didn't boil down and lose weight for it so there was nothing to gain back.

Pac was at 135. Oscar was at 150. They fought at 147 and that was unfair to Oscar? Unfair is when 2 154 Champs fight at 152 and that's the pinnacle of Floyd's career and yet Here you are on a catchweight crusade when Oscar isn't even a top 10 win for pac. Oof that must hurt.

Also his resume is man Made? arent all resumes man made? Who else makes resumes? God? Cats?
                      Last edited by daggum; 05-08-2024, 08:57 AM.
                      IceTrayDaGang IceTrayDaGang likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X