Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Get It in Writing? Errol Spence-Derrick James Lawsuits Stir Fighter-Trainer Debate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Get It in Writing? Errol Spence-Derrick James Lawsuits Stir Fighter-Trainer Debate

[Click Here To Read More]

James accepted amounts previously paid with no complaints until now
    that Spence looking for change. The Micky Garcia was several years ago,
    why didn't James complain back then.

Comment

Not having written contracts is Bush League, and the practice makes boxing look as such.

You have multi-million dollar fights with some of the key laborers (trainers) working without a contract. Thats asinine
      pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

Trainers typically get 10% of the fighters "purse". Anything that appears on that bout contract, including PPV upside earnings, are a part of that purse. Spence is trying to be slick and say the "purse" really is just the contract minimum. Spence should have shifted to a "flat fee" scenario the first time he went to PPV.

Its funny though when GGG decided to go to flat-fee with Abel Sanchez, all the PBC nuthuggers called him cheap, claimed he was trying to shortchange Sanchez, etc etc. Now those same cats are saying James is trying to rip off spence LOL
        Last edited by OnePunch; 04-28-2024, 12:13 AM.

Comment

The fighter needs to to remember the importance of a trainer , but the trainer needs to remember who is putting his life on the line , with out a writen agreement , forget it!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll

But let this be a lesson to all other trainers out there. It’s definitely best to get it in writing from here on out.
            It's a lesson to both parties really.
            pnut901 pnut901 likes this.

Comment

No matter how close and buddy buddy fighter and trainer/s may be, still have to have a typed out contract signed.

Whether that's one contract for each fight, or some multi fight agreement, it's got to be legal.

You don't think Canelo has carefully stipulated contracts with the Reynosos'? Of course he does, I'm sure. Because as Paulie said, money can be funny, cause rifts.

Comment

Should have definitely been in writing. This message embarrassing for both.

Comment

No dammm trainer deserves a couple million off one fight, I can’t picture you doing that much in a camp of 6,8 or 10 weeks to qualify for a couple million when all the risk are on my life. As with Derrick I believe due to being fired, some bitterness has come about. I also believe Errol if not told by someone however it maybe would have used his SOUTHERN heart and paid the man more!

Comment

If you ask me, fighters should always do a flat fee arrangement to the trainer. Ten percent throughout your entire career just doesn't seem right.

Seems clear cut to me. You have a management team. They negotiate fights for you, agree/disagree to terms, financial and others. Then decide, based on considerations of the concluded fight offer, which training camp agrees to your offer of a flat fee, half of which should be delivered and the other when the fight is over. And I'll be prepared to pick other alternatives in case my offer is rejected.

Comment

Working...
                    X