No announcement yet.

Why are there no HWs under 200 pounds?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fifth_root View Post
    I am shocked by some of the answers regarding lower and upper limits. A limping understanding of something so simple questions their understanding of the rules.

IBF: Over 200 lbs
    WBA: Over 224 lbs because recognizes the Bridgerweight
    WBO: Over 201 lbs
    WBC: Over 200 lbs even though WBC recognizes Bridgerweight, it's like a division within a division because it covers some of the potential weight of a heavyweight (200–224 lbs)
    IBO: didn't find it at first glance, just says Heavyweight

The lower limit is clearly indicated: at least 91 kg if no Bridgerweight is recognized. There is no upper one.

I was puzzled by you listing the WBO CW limit as 201, not 200, so I checked their website. WBO CW upper weight limit is 200lb, same as the the orgs.

As I said in another comment, defining HW by the upper limit of the division below does not mean that HW has an actual lower limit written into the rules. Otherwise Usyk would not have been allowed to fight for and defend the WBA title after weighing in below 224 and Mauricio Sulaiman would have warned him that he needed to weigh in over 224 if he wanted to challenge Fury for the WBC title.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

I think that is a very good point that shouldn't be glossed over.

I think that is a very good point as well. Likewise, should be actually considered.

Who sanctioned Babic at 199.25 as a HW?

BBBoC

What does the BBBoC have stated as their definition of a HW?

Championships of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
      22.1(a) STANDARD WEIGHTS
      Flyweight 50.80kg/112lbs/8st and under
      Super Flyweight 52.16kg/115lbs/8st 3lbs and under
      Bantamweight 53.52kg/118lbs/8st 6lbs and under
      Super Bantamweight 55.34kg/122lbs/8st 10lbs and under
      Featherweight 57.15kg/126lbs/9st and under
      Super Featherweight 58.97kg/130lbs/9st 4lbs and under
      Lightweight 61.24kg/135lbs/9st 9lbs and under
      Super Lightweight 63.50kg/140lbs/10st and under
      Welterweight 66.68kg/147lbs/10st 7lbs and under
      Super Welterweight 69.85kg/154lbs/11st and under
      Middleweight 72.58kg/160lbs/11st 6lbs and under
      Super Middleweight 76.20kg/168lbs/12st and under
      Light Heavyweight 79.38kg/175lbs/12st 7lbs and under
      Cruiserweight 90.72kg/200lbs/14st 4lbs and under
      Heavyweight Any weight​

Hmm, seems BBBoC has no minimum.

There are other relative definition from authorities, like Nevada's definition of a HW, it's still 190. So you can still have a 191 vs 191 HW contest. It won't be sanctioned by a major world body.

I'm pretty sure the IBO is also still officially listed at 190 actually. You can have an IBO sanctioned 195 vs 195 HW fight.

The reason everyone makes weight on the world level is because they have to, to be successful in the sport.
      Ok, so I checked the websites of all the world sanctioning organisations and they define HW as follows:

​WBO: Over 200lbs
      IBF: Over 200lbs
      WBA: Over 224lbs.
      WBC: Minimum of 224lbs

I think we can safely assume that defining HW by the upper weight limit of the division below - which is Bridgerweight with the WBA and WBC - is for guidance only and does not reflect actual lower limits written into the rules. Otherwise Usyk, who has never weighed more 221 for any of his fights, would not be the WBA HW champion and about to fight for the WBC title without any "main character syndrome" grandstanding by Mauricio Sulaiman.

"Hmm, seems BBBoC has no minimum." That will be a refection of old school BBBoC pedantry, rather than the actual rules themselves.

Comment

Did you not realize it's me claiming HW starts at 200?

Let me retool for you idiots, because it doesn't seem to me you understand this.

Look all goddamn day on Boxrec, you will not find any 195 vs 195 fights called HW, they are all CW until you go back in time long enough for 190 to be the CW cap. Why is that?
        There's no rules aginst fighters lighter than 200Lbs competing at Heavy, it's just that they'd be undersized.

Think about it this way, even most elite Light-Heavies rehydrate up to the high 180s or even low 190s and almost certainly walk around at 200+. Almsost all cruisers are really smallish heavyweight who simply choose to cut weight rather than compete in the higher division. Most of em probably rehydrate above 210 and walk at 220+

FWIW the smallest Heavy I was able to find pretty much off the cuff was Cunningham who was 203 when he fought Adamek at heavy.

https://wboboxing.com/wp-content/upl...s-jan-2024.pdf (page 5) - weight classes defined as 'up to'

https://wbcboxing.com/en/know-the-boxing-divisions/ - weight classes defined as 'up to'

https://www.ibf-usba-boxing.com/wp-c...tRules0119.pdf - weight classes defined as 'not over'

Sure the WBA defines it similarly but ain't gonna check now.

Point being none of em define a lower limit, just an upper one... although I think all the orgs reserve the right to refuse to sanction bouts where they feel a fighters health could be at risk.
        kafkod kafkod likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
          i think jarrell miller was under 200 for his last fight
          Kilos or tons?

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post

I was puzzled by you listing the WBO CW limit as 201, not 200, so I checked their website. WBO CW upper weight limit is 200lb, same as the the orgs.

As I said in another comment, defining HW by the upper limit of the division below does not mean that HW has an actual lower limit written into the rules. Otherwise Usyk would not have been allowed to fight for and defend the WBA title after weighing in below 224 and Mauricio Sulaiman would have warned him that he needed to weigh in over 224 if he wanted to challenge Fury for the WBC title.
            I am not listing any Cruiserweight, I hyperlinked what the sanctioning bodies describe as a heavyweight fighter and it is someone who weights above 91 kg (measuring in lbs sucks just as ft+inch for height), logically if you are below that you are not allowed into the division. If you can't read or doubt an official statement I can't help. In any way, 200 lbs is 90.7 kg, and 201 is 91.1 kg, so there is not much difference (especially for people over 200/201 lbs), you can hardly match it to reflect 90 kg exactly (1 lb is almost 0.5 kg), but you can continue digging about this 1 lb discrepancy.

Bridger, still being "in implementation" is considered and yet not considered, I guess it will be if the fighters agree to fight for it, otherwise are still heavyweights.
            Last edited by fifth_root; 04-22-2024, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fifth_root View Post
              I am shocked by some of the answers regarding lower and upper limits. A limping understanding of something so simple questions their understanding of the rules.

IBF: Over 200 lbs
              WBA: Over 224 lbs because recognizes the Bridgerweight
              WBO: Over 201 lbs
              WBC: Over 200 lbs even though WBC recognizes Bridgerweight, it's like a division within a division because it covers some of the potential weight of a heavyweight (200–224 lbs)
              I was talking about this. You have the WBO upper CW limit as 201, not 200.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post

There's no rules aginst fighters lighter than 200Lbs competing at Heavy, it's just that they'd be undersized.

Think about it this way, even most elite Light-Heavies rehydrate up to the high 180s or even low 190s and almost certainly walk around at 200+. Almsost all cruisers are really smallish heavyweight who simply choose to cut weight rather than compete in the higher division. Most of em probably rehydrate above 210 and walk at 220+

FWIW the smallest Heavy I was able to find pretty much off the cuff was Cunningham who was 203 when he fought Adamek at heavy.

https://wboboxing.com/wp-content/upl...s-jan-2024.pdf (page 5) - weight classes defined as 'up to'

https://wbcboxing.com/en/know-the-boxing-divisions/ - weight classes defined as 'up to'

https://www.ibf-usba-boxing.com/wp-c...tRules0119.pdf - weight classes defined as 'not over'

Sure the WBA defines it similarly but ain't gonna check now.

Point being none of em define a lower limit, just an upper one... although I think all the orgs reserve the right to refuse to sanction bouts where they feel a fighters health could be at risk.
                Do you think a sub 200 HW can be ranked by the four major bodies without ever weighing about 200?

Can the MW champion fight the LHW champion for the CW title?

I get they're obtuse questions, but in a world where boxers abuse ratings, belt systems, PEDs, and everything else under the sun to get paid I do struggle to believe no one has abused this lack of minimum.

A real easy one should be a guy like Cunningham, who had backing, fighting 195ers early in his career. Not unlike how Deontay debuts against a 201. What is even the point of the 1 if not to get over the 200 and why has no one padded records with sub 200s if they're allowed?

Also, TF was Mouse even talking about? I'll clip the Letterman if you don't know that reference.

Record padding still happens, just the beginning of most boxers, most champions, started against dudes with bad records, no ams background, old, and terribly out of shape, undersized but never crossing that 200 mark.

I remain suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post

I was talking about this. You have the WBO upper CW limit as 201, not 200.
                  Read what the link says bro.

Under CW, WBO still got junior heavy but that is their CW, it says 200

Under HW is does say over 201.

fifth_root fifth_root likes this.

Comment

It says this at the WBO website:

"Heavyweight Over 200 lbs or 90.72 kgs"

https://wboboxing.com/wp-content/upl...s-jan-2024.pdf

Comment

Yep, the WBO ratings have HW as over 201, the WBO rules and regs have HW as over 200. I assume the former is a typo.
                      Last edited by kafkod; 04-19-2024, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X