No announcement yet.

Why are there no HWs under 200 pounds?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
    All boxing divisions are defined by their upper weight limits except for the heavyweight division which has no upper limit. So the only way to define the HW division is by the upper limit of the division below, which used to be 190 but is now 200. There are no minimum weight limits for any division but sanctioning organizations may refuse to sanction matches with a big weight disparity between the fighters because of safety concerns.

"There are no HWs under 200 pounds"

Alen Babic has weighed in under 200lbs several times to fight 200lb+ opponents. I'm sure there will be many other examples of fights like that, with one guy under and one guy over 200lbs, which must have happened at HW, because one of the fighters weighed in over 200lbs
    I’ve never seen Babic under 200 pounds the lightest I’ve seen him was 205 . Several times doesn’t exist even in the lighter Bridgerweight class he was 210/217 .

If someone weighs in 197 or whatever I’m sure they don’t care but the division starts at 200 pounds and is called unlimited because you can weigh anything over 200 pounds ,if a a fighter is a champion in another weight class they might make an exception but they aren’t going to sanction anyone remotely near 185 vs any top heavy weight without a reason and the 185 guy wouldn’t exactly be interested ,I mean Artur Beterbiev isn’t calling out Joshua bc he knows it’s kind of dumb to do that bc he fights at 170 or whatever it is light heavyweight.

If Cruiserweights thought they could win titles at HW they’d be looking fir that payday all the time , not even Usyk thought he could that’s why he actually moved into the higher weight class ,otherwise he’d be fighting at Cruiserweight still holding both belts . The debate isn’t about weight it’s the fact if you didn’t have Cruiserweight divisions you’d just see the bigger guys overall dominate , Wilder himself could go into a Bridgerweight class and have a better shot but you’ll still see posters on here claim weight classes aren’t needed ,it’s ridiculous . Lol

As I keep saying if you don’t have one hit quitter power which most boxers don’t in the lighter classes next to heavyweight’s it’s silly fighting heavyweights unless you have some Usyk talent but you’ll still just the same crazies on here that will use him as if he’s the norm and standard of the CWs it’s insane on here really . Lol

People got to the let the past go I’m all for the Bridgerweight and Super Cruiserweight divisions bc the harsh reality is those weight classes in between is a waste of time at heavy it just is 200/225 . You got more then enough fighters to make a good division out of those . Even if the heavyweight champion was 190 pounds today that’s ONE guy . Lol

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post

I’ve never seen Babic under 200 pounds the lightest I’ve seen him was 205 . Several times doesn’t exist even in the lighter Bridgerweight class he was 210/217 .

If someone weighs in 197 or whatever I’m sure they don’t care but the division starts at 200 pounds and is called unlimited because you can weigh anything over 200 pounds ,if a a fighter is a champion in another weight class they might make an exception but they aren’t going to sanction anyone remotely near 185 vs any top heavy weight without a reason and the 185 guy wouldn’t exactly be interested ,I mean Artur Beterbiev isn’t calling out Joshua bc he knows it’s kind of dumb to do that bc he fights at 170 or whatever it is light heavyweight.

If Cruiserweights thought they could win titles at HW they’d be looking fir that payday all the time , not even Usyk thought he could that’s why he actually moved into the higher weight class ,otherwise he’d be fighting at Cruiserweight still holding both belts . The debate isn’t about weight it’s the fact if you didn’t have Cruiserweight divisions you’d just see the bigger guys overall dominate , Wilder himself could go into a Bridgerweight class and have a better shot but you’ll still see posters on here claim weight classes aren’t needed ,it’s ridiculous . Lol

As I keep saying if you don’t have one hit quitter power which most boxers don’t in the lighter classes next to heavyweight’s it’s silly fighting heavyweights unless you have some Usyk talent but you’ll still just the same crazies on here that will use him as if he’s the norm and standard of the CWs it’s insane on here really . Lol

People got to the let the past go I’m all for the Bridgerweight and Super Cruiserweight divisions bc the harsh reality is those weight classes in between is a waste of time at heavy it just is 200/225 . You got more then enough fighters to make a good division out of those . Even if the heavyweight champion was 190 pounds today that’s ONE guy . Lol
      I just checked Babic's record and he only weighed in under 200 once, against Niall Kennedy, who was 219.

I'm sure there will have been other examples of 200lbs- guys fighting at HW, but not in major fights. Reason being that, like you say, given the size of the average HW nowadays, even a guy as fast and skilful as Usyk needs to be 200lbs+ to compete with the best HWs.
      Last edited by kafkod; 04-18-2024, 05:14 PM.
      MoonCheese Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

Did you not realize it's me claiming HW starts at 200?

Let me retool for you idiots, because it doesn't seem to me you understand this.

Look all goddamn day on Boxrec, you will not find any 195 vs 195 fights called HW, they are all CW until you go back in time long enough for 190 to be the CW cap. Why is that?
        HW doesn't start at 200, CW ends at 200. There is nothing in the rules of boxing to stop two guys weighing less than 200llb fighting for a HW title. And if they fought for a HW title, then by definition, they would be fighting at HW.

Comment

i think jarrell miller was under 200 for his last fight

Comment

HW doesn't start at 200, CW ends at 200. There is nothing in the rules of boxing to stop two guys weighing less than 200llb fighting for a HW title. And if they fought for a HW title, then by definition, they would be fighting at HW.
            So I can set up a fight with another 160 and we can call it HW?

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
              I'm pretty sure there's no minimum in the rules. That being said, if you weigh in at, say 195, you could conceivably make 175. So why fight bigger guys if you don't have to? I think the only guys who would do that would have cleaned out their weight classes already, and that pretty much means undisputed cruiserweights, likely even someone who was able to get undisputed at light heavy and cruiserweight both, which has yet to happen.

Because cruiserweights likely walk around over 200 as is, and I don't know why people would want to cut weight if they didn't need to.

The other possible issue is whether the commissions would sanction a heavyweight fight in which someone weighed in under the cruiserweight limit.

What a fighter weighs does not decide if he qualifies as a heavyweight. There is no minimum or maximum weight at heavyweight, nor do they have to make weight to qualify as a heavyweight.

ANYONE can be a heavyweight.

The last fighter under 195 pounds was Roid Jones and it was a one a done thing vs. Ruiz.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                i think jarrell miller was under 200 for his last fight
                Yes, he was!

If he weighed in on the moon.

Comment

I am shocked by some of the answers regarding lower and upper limits. A limping understanding of something so simple questions their understanding of the rules.

IBF: Over 200 lbs
                  WBA: Over 224 lbs because recognizes the Bridgerweight
                  WBO: Over 201 lbs
                  WBC: Over 200 lbs even though WBC recognizes Bridgerweight, it's like a division within a division because it covers some of the potential weight of a heavyweight (200–224 lbs)
                  IBO: didn't find it at first glance, just says Heavyweight

The lower limit is clearly indicated: at least 91 kg if no Bridgerweight is recognized. There is no upper one.

Why not a middleweight fighter challenge a super middleweight or some light heavyweight one (or an example with any other close to each other divisions)? It ain't much different? All divisions have lower and upper limits, except for an upper in the Heavyweight. No matter the sport, the heaviest one never has.

I think for other sports then: in powerlifting, you can often find people in -120 kg division with better results than people in 120+, so why not "qualify" for the upper division as well, haha!​

Last edited by fifth_root; 04-19-2024, 01:02 PM.
                  MoonCheese Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

I just checked Babic's record and he only weighed in under 200 once, against Niall Kennedy, who was 219.

I'm sure there will have been other examples of 200lbs- guys fighting at HW, but not in major fights. Reason being that, like you say, given the size of the average HW nowadays, even a guy as fast and skilful as Usyk needs to be 200lbs+ to compete with the best HWs.
                    I think that is a very good point that shouldn't be glossed over.

Originally posted by fifth_root View Post
                    I am shocked by some of the answers regarding lower and upper limits. A limping understanding of something so simple questions their understanding of the rules.

IBF: Over 200 lbs
                    WBA: Over 224 lbs because recognizes the Bridgerweight
                    WBO: Over 201 lbs
                    WBC: Over 200 lbs even though WBC recognizes Bridgerweight, it's like a division within a division because it covers some of the potential weight of a heavyweight (200–224 lbs)
                    IBO: didn't find it at first glance, just says Heavyweight

The lower limit is clearly indicated: at least 91 kg if no Bridgerweight is recognized. There is no upper one.

I think that is a very good point as well. Likewise, should be actually considered.

Who sanctioned Babic at 199.25 as a HW?

BBBoC

What does the BBBoC have stated as their definition of a HW?

Championships of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
                    22.1(a) STANDARD WEIGHTS
                    Flyweight 50.80kg/112lbs/8st and under
                    Super Flyweight 52.16kg/115lbs/8st 3lbs and under
                    Bantamweight 53.52kg/118lbs/8st 6lbs and under
                    Super Bantamweight 55.34kg/122lbs/8st 10lbs and under
                    Featherweight 57.15kg/126lbs/9st and under
                    Super Featherweight 58.97kg/130lbs/9st 4lbs and under
                    Lightweight 61.24kg/135lbs/9st 9lbs and under
                    Super Lightweight 63.50kg/140lbs/10st and under
                    Welterweight 66.68kg/147lbs/10st 7lbs and under
                    Super Welterweight 69.85kg/154lbs/11st and under
                    Middleweight 72.58kg/160lbs/11st 6lbs and under
                    Super Middleweight 76.20kg/168lbs/12st and under
                    Light Heavyweight 79.38kg/175lbs/12st 7lbs and under
                    Cruiserweight 90.72kg/200lbs/14st 4lbs and under
                    Heavyweight Any weight​

Hmm, seems BBBoC has no minimum.

There are other relative definition from authorities, like Nevada's definition of a HW, it's still 190. So you can still have a 191 vs 191 HW contest. It won't be sanctioned by a major world body.

I'm pretty sure the IBO is also still officially listed at 190 actually. You can have an IBO sanctioned 195 vs 195 HW fight.

The reason everyone makes weight on the world level is because they have to, to be successful in the sport.
                    kafkod kafkod likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

So I can set up a fight with another 160 and we can call it HW?
                      Only if you were fighting for a HW title. In which case, by definition, it would be a HW fight.

In theory, there is nothing to stop 2 160lb guys fighting for a HW title.

In reality though, it's about as likely as Deontay Wilder signing with Matchroom and being nominated by Eddie Hearn to captain Team Matchroom in a tournament vs Team Queensberry. Oh, wait ...

Comment

Working...
                      X