Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are there no HWs under 200 pounds?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a fighter wants to bring as much power as possible to the division that he is best suited for. A fighter that naturally weighs 200+lbs would be foolish to cut down to CW, because of the potential power loss from the weight-drain. Conversely, a natural CW may find it difficult to pack on some lbs and bang with the true HWs, because power is usually inherent to one's natural build.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

Did you not realize it's me claiming HW starts at 200?

Let me retool for you idiots, because it doesn't seem to me you understand this.

Look all goddamn day on Boxrec, you will not find any 195 vs 195 fights called HW, they are all CW until you go back in time long enough for 190 to be the CW cap. Why is that?
      Putting individual organizations sponsoring fights aside. It has always been over 200 is heavy weight.
      Heavy weight is a catch all division.
      No moron is will intentionally give weight except in the heavy weight division.
      This all worked fine but men are bigger now. They need a Super heavy weight division.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post

Fundora's a naturally long, very lean guy. I don't know if he can even make 200 lbs and be in shape, and I really doubt he would bring enough power to the HW division even if he could gain enough weight.
        I know. I just think it's funny since a lot of "true" heavyweights that are around 250lbs are in fact around 6 foot 5. It's crazy that Sebastian is in the middleweight division.

Comment

Roy Jones weighed in 193lbs for his heavyweight title victory over John Ruiz.

The reason you don't see it is because unless the fighter is Roy Jones level talent, being under 200lbs is giving too much size away and it's safer at cruiserweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Atypicalbrit View Post
            Thats when CW was 190 & HW was 191+

Comment

Idk why there is a misconception that HW is an open weight. Its 200+ by the belt groups. Heres the WBC rankings showing its 200+.
              Screenshot_20240417_221722_Chrome~2.jpg

Boxing hasn't had open weights since the old timey days. Believe Jack Johnson fought Sam Lanford when Jack was a HW & Sam was a MW back in the day for an example many will know of. Nowadays every commissions of note gots a minimum for HW. I believe its 195+ for NV. There are usually acceptable catchweight lb limits for guys outside of a specific weight division in every division except HW. But you still gotta be 195+ in NV to be considered a HW.

MoonCheese Marchegiano dan-b dan-b like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

Thats when CW was 190 & HW was 191+
                Damn must have been right around the time it changed, I could have sworn that was in the late 90s but looks like it was the same year as Roy fought Ruiz.

I maintain, heavyweights weight in wearing tracksuits, jeans, shoes, headphones and jewelry so a guy weighing in the 190s could easily "make" 200lbs if they wanted to
                Eff Pandas Eff Pandas likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Atypicalbrit View Post

The reason you don't see it is because unless the fighter is Roy Jones level talent, being under 200lbs is giving too much size away and it's safer at cruiserweight.
                  RJJ was a special talent, but Ruiz was also a weak HW. You'll notice that Jones never fought @ HW again.

Comment

Somebody will have a go, when they think? They are tough enough i.e Roy Jones Junior, believed that although he was weighing under 200 pounds 'Roy Jones Junior, still believed he was good enough to beat top level heavyweight fighters'.

The Heavyweight Division is a open class division 'It has not lower or upper weight limit. It is the ultimate division in terms of raw competition'.

I am honestly not sure why people around here, equate weight with being a better fighter 'Think for one second what I am actually talking about'.

I want everybody to think about their own lives, is everyone who out weighs you 'A better fighter than you? No'.

Note: So like I have just stated at the beginning of this post 'Whenever somebody believes they are hard enough, they will have a go. It is really that straight forward'.

Roy Jones Junior weighed 192 to 193 pounds, when he fought John Ruiz for the WBA Heavyweight Championship of the World.

Marchegiano, to be honest with you 'The Heavyweight Division is the most straight forward, easier division to understand. There is no weight limit, no catch weights, no rehydration clauses. There is just two fighters who are allowed to optimal prepare whatever way they want, within the rules in order to win the fight' etc.

Hard Hands Hard Hands likes this.

Comment

All boxing divisions are defined by their upper weight limits except for the heavyweight division which has no upper limit. So the only way to define the HW division is by the upper limit of the division below, which used to be 190 but is now 200. There are no minimum weight limits for any division but sanctioning organizations may refuse to sanction matches with a big weight disparity between the fighters because of safety concerns.

"There are no HWs under 200 pounds"

Alen Babic has weighed in under 200lbs several times to fight 200lb+ opponents. I'm sure there will be many other examples of fights like that, with one guy under and one guy over 200lbs, which must have happened at HW, because one of the fighters weighed in over 200lbs
                      Last edited by kafkod; 04-18-2024, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X