Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tyson Fury Will Have To Be At His Best If He Is To Fend Off Oleksandr Usyk On May 18

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we are in for a surprise

Comment

I'm less convinced that the reach and the jab will be the weapons that they would be against a slow footed fighter. Usyk will be doing a lot of lead hand fencing and foot feints, and he'll be making the entry on the outside, often with a split entry. All he needs to do is get outside foot position, pull the jab with a feint, and slip into the split entry and Fury will pull back high and have to pivot and reset, and that's a lot of openings. Fury likes that pull defense a lot, which could put him on the back foot. The feint battle will be really interesting on this one.

I think Haney's gameplan v Loma might be a good one TBH, even if I thought Haney should have lost. But those body shot counters and body crosses work really well against Usyk's style, forcing him to reset, even if he's not weak to the body, as it looks like he might be. I don't give a lot of credence to the hater narrative in the Dubois fight, but body shots do a good job of slowing the feet and scoring points on an elusive fighter like Usyk. But I also don't know if Fury will have the conditioning he needs to for that gameplan. If he gasses out like he has in several of his recent fights, that makes it more likely IMO for Usyk to take over, and maybe even get a controversial TKO win.

But he's got to make it to the ring first...
      billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by elfag View Post
        Usyk was knocked out his last fight he shouldnt even have the belts anymore
        I don't think 'knocked out' means what you think it means.

And this just in...

Tyson Fury Will Have To Be At His Best If He Is To Fend Off Oleksandr Usyk On May 18

...meanwhile in other news :

Water Is Wet.

landotter landotter likes this.

Comment

[QUOTE=Speng;n32229873] Fury and Wilder are unlikeable but the draft dodger Usyk, you like?
          Odd

So... supposedly Usyk did fight for ******* for a while there. But even if not... do you actually think
          it would be proper for their biggest star to risk death in the war? I don't think so. Just the inspiration
          he gives his country alone would be reason to keep him out of the conflict.

IMO... if Fury can keep Usyk at arms length, and lean on him to wear him down,
          and clip him with body shots... then he will get a UD. But if he lets Usyk get his
          way with his usual slick moves... the entire narrative will change.

Last edited by PunchyPotorff; 04-14-2024, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
            I'm less convinced that the reach and the jab will be the weapons that they would be against a slow footed fighter. Usyk will be doing a lot of lead hand fencing and foot feints, and he'll be making the entry on the outside, often with a split entry. All he needs to do is get outside foot position, pull the jab with a feint, and slip into the split entry and Fury will pull back high and have to pivot and reset, and that's a lot of openings. Fury likes that pull defense a lot, which could put him on the back foot. The feint battle will be really interesting on this one.

I think Haney's gameplan v Loma might be a good one TBH, even if I thought Haney should have lost. But those body shot counters and body crosses work really well against Usyk's style, forcing him to reset, even if he's not weak to the body, as it looks like he might be. I don't give a lot of credence to the hater narrative in the Dubois fight, but body shots do a good job of slowing the feet and scoring points on an elusive fighter like Usyk. But I also don't know if Fury will have the conditioning he needs to for that gameplan. If he gasses out like he has in several of his recent fights, that makes it more likely IMO for Usyk to take over, and maybe even get a controversial TKO win.

The only times Haney went for body shots was when Loma was going for his front foot pre-slip and Usyk doesn’t do that. He is more of a fencer. I agree that Fury should go to the body but honestly the best way to do it might be to just go all in, kinda how Joshua did in one of the later rounds in the 2nd fight.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post

I always remember in my own experience as the head of martial arts club in college. My friend his name was Tom Bell was a 6 ft plus almost 7 ft if I remember correctly rubber band! Nobody wanted to spar him. Lol. I mention this because fighting Tom you always had to overcome that reach. And if you stayed out there you couldn't just hang out. It's not a trivial thing to deal with reach advantages. I have not had a tremendous amount of fight experience compared to some but from what I remember in that situation it could be tough lol.

I mean I'm thinking how usyk deals with that. A feint can work at a certain distance but you have to be able to capitalize on it within a step otherwise your opportunity is lost. As far as slipping the punch if he slips the jab that's all well and good, but now he's got to get to Fury on his back leg.

If I was fury I would stay on that back leg when Usyk came in. I used to use my feet for reach... Worked well. As a matter of fact Bill super foot Wallace never lost a professional kick boxing fight because nobody could get past his round kick lol.

I think your point is a good one I just think it's a very tough situation for USYK to overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Oregonian View Post
                ———
                Hopkins was never DQ’ed for his holding, hugging and fouling yet he’s an ATG.
                Hopkins beat a ton of top fighters and fought on well into his 40s. Fury has fought 2 top-10 opponents in 8 years and retries after almost every fight. Also he took PEDs + got a 2 year ban and failed to qualify for the olympics when he got beaten by David Price. I don't see how the 2 are comparable?

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto Vasquez View Post

Hopkins beat a ton of top fighters and fought on well into his 40s. Fury has fought 2 top-10 opponents in 8 years and retries after almost every fight. Also he took PEDs + got a 2 year ban and failed to qualify for the olympics when he got beaten by David Price. I don't see how the 2 are comparable?
                  ———-
                  Fury is 35 years old and sits atop the heavyweight division.
                  Hopkins was 36 when he beat Trinidad and parlayed that into an ATG status.
                  Fury is has several fights and only needs to beat Usyk and AJ to be considered the greatest of his era. Tack on three or four more fights and the ATG moniker kicks in.

Comment

Originally posted by Oregonian View Post
                    ———-
                    Fury is 35 years old and sits atop the heavyweight division.
                    Hopkins was 36 when he beat Trinidad and parlayed that into an ATG status.
                    Fury is has several fights and only needs to beat Usyk and AJ to be considered the greatest of his era. Tack on three or four more fights and the ATG moniker kicks in.
                    So, basically, what you’re saying is…if he does loads of stuff that he hasn’t done yet - we can think of him as good.

He has been dropped by loads of nobodies, bludgeoned by Otto Wallin, gifted decisions against McDermott and that MMA guy, and yet because he beat a hype job a couple times people start talking like he’s up there with Holmes and Lewis.

He’s a PED cheat who has ducked AJ for years and takes on the likes of Sefer Seferi and Chisora x 3 instead of defending the belts against top guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Froch_uppercut View Post

So, basically, what you’re saying is…if he does loads of stuff that he hasn’t done yet - we can think of him as good.

He has been dropped by loads of nobodies, bludgeoned by Otto Wallin, gifted decisions against McDermott and that MMA guy, and yet because he beat a hype job a couple times people start talking like he’s up there with Holmes and Lewis.

He’s a PED cheat who has ducked AJ for years and takes on the likes of Sefer Seferi and Chisora x 3 instead of defending the belts against top guys.
                      ———-
                      And what you are basically saying is Fury is not just washed out but has done absolutely nothing in boxing even though he’s only 35 and is about to beat Usyk who toyed with AJ twice.
                      The same thing was being said about Hopkins and yet here we are. Hopkins is an ATG

Comment

Working...
                      X