Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fury beats mid-level contenders like Frank Bruno and Tommy Morrison?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fury beats mid-level contenders like Frank Bruno and Tommy Morrison?

I think this is a better question than the one posed in this thread. Comparing Fury to athletic boxers like Holyfield and a two-time lineal champ in Foreman who regularly turned up for fights is premature.

Until Fury even shows up for one Usyk fight it's better to ask how he would have done with mid-level contenders like Frank Bruno and Tommy Morrison.

I would expect Bruno to give Fury serious problems.
    dan-b dan-b likes this.

Comment

There is a good chance both beat Fury, who has he beat really? Wlad at the tail end of his career by an uninspiring decision then ducked a rematch Wilder? who has he beat? 40 year old Ortiz where in both fights he was losing before the stoppage.

He went life and death with Otto Wallin, arguably lost to Francis, and beat up his buddy Chisora 3X in addition to his other UK friends/sparring partners.

Its a very lacking resume when you put it under a microscope with some underwhelming performances mixed in.
      Last edited by Spray_resistant; 04-02-2024, 01:04 PM.
      dan-b dan-b likes this.

Comment

Frank Bruno and Tommy Morrison were actually top contenders (as well as alphabelt holders), were they not?

A lot of Fury's placement hinges on the outcome and texture of the Usyk fight.

....but both are hall of fame bound. Frank Bruno and Tommy Morrison, are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post
          Frank Bruno and Tommy Morrison were actually top contenders (as well as alphabelt holders), were they not?

What does that even mean? The one in Canastota is largely a popularity contest and has about as much credibility as the Oscars.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post

I think Frank had the WBC belt the second time Tyson fought him. I don't think Tommy held a title though.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

I think Frank had the WBC belt the second time Tyson fought him. I don't think Tommy held a title though.
              Tommy held a WBO before it was properly recognised. Given how transient both reigns were I think it's more accurate to call them contenders.

Comment

To be fair most "mid-level contenders" from the 80s like Bruno and Morrison would sweep throught most of the Heavyweight division. It be quite difficult to beat theme even including Parker and Fury.
                Last edited by Feroz; 04-02-2024, 01:45 PM.

Comment

With fantasy fights I always imagine the best version of each guy. Best version of Fury beats those 2 imo. But he has been inconsistent enough in his career, the best version is rarely seen, if he had to go through the resume of Lennox or Holyfield, he'd show up underprepared for some fights and catch an L vs guys they beat.

From that era I think Ray Mercer would've been a tough fight for Fury. Olympic skills, power, chin, showed vs Lennox he could do well vs a tall guy. Bowe would be even tougher. I don't think Fury would win a war against him, Bowe hit harder, better chin, great inside skills, and physically stronger than any of Fury's opponents.
                  Last edited by Clegg; 04-02-2024, 01:44 PM.
                  dan-b dan-b likes this.

Comment

If fury can best usy k and josh, then we can fantasize fury does well with anyone in history h2h

Comment

Working...
                    X