Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good is Oscar De La Hoya's resume as a ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    Not a fan but can’t argue that his is a Great resume. Thought he beat Tito but lost to Pernell.

Without question the best cross dressing boxer in history.
    Floyd's pops thought he lost to the cross dresser

Mad respect for climbing up to mw and challenging Hopkins

Floyd was always too scared and too small
    Last edited by djtmal; 03-27-2024, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Oscar is without a doubt a great fighter and is greater and has a better resume than any current fighter today not named Canelo.

Comment

Deserves his ATG status.
        Regge Regge likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post

Floyd's pops thought he lost to the cross dresser
          He was part of the cross dresser’s team so not surprising.

Your pops thought you’d be a man.

Fathers get it wrong sometimes.
          Last edited by The Big Dunn; 03-27-2024, 10:28 AM.

Comment

He was part of the cross dresser’s team so not surprising.
            He was part of the Money Team as well and still thought Oscar won.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post

He was part of the Money Team as well and still thought Oscar won.
              Not on the night of the fight. No need to discuss further.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
                A good fighter with the establishment on his side. Not a legend, for me, but some of the results are undebatable. In my opinion he also lost the Ike Quartey fight. ATGs are a different breed - think, say, of Roberto Duran. It takes more than the mere stats to determine if a fighter is an ATG. In my view, De La Hoya is not.
                Not sure I would agree that he had the boxing establishment on his side. ODLH was a bona-fide superstar whose fame transcended the sport, yet he repeatedly found himself on the losing end of close fights (Mosley, Tito, Floyd), so he didn't really have anyonen in his pocket. Like most fighters, he found himself on both ends of close and controversial decisions. I think Oscar cleanly beat Quartey and deserved the win against Whitaker (though I understand the debate on this one), but he really got a gift against Felix Sturm at MW.

Comment

Not on the night of the fight.
                  Doesn't make a difference. He didn't stop being Floyd's pops.

Plus if he was pro Oscar he would have been in his corner he was Oscar's trainer all the way to the Floyd fight.

https://youtu.be/ZcyAyEbM-mU?si=ow8lxPc_hVLf2m83

What did his pop say. If you go by the points system, you gotta give to Oscar.
                  Last edited by djtmal; 03-27-2024, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOneAboveAll View Post

Not sure I would agree that he had the boxing establishment on his side. ODLH was a bona-fide superstar whose fame transcended the sport, yet he repeatedly found himself on the losing end of close fights (Mosley, Tito, Floyd), so he didn't really have anyonen in his pocket. Like most fighters, he found himself on both ends of close and controversial decisions. I think Oscar cleanly beat Quartey and deserved the win against Whitaker (though I understand the debate on this one), but he really got a gift against Felix Sturm at MW.
                    Controversial decisions are a regular occurrence in top-level boxing. But I was referring to the establishment at large, which relied on De La Hoya's supposed good looks to build a winning character at all costs on that.

One doesn't get to buy The Ring Magazine (and dismiss its independent voices - ask Nigel Collins) unless they're well connected.

Curiously, I don't think he lost the Sturm fight, whereas I had him losing vs Quartey and Whitaker. He was robbed in the Trinidad fight, though.

Tim Kawakami's book Golden Boy tells everything one needs to know about Oscar as a human being. But that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle01 View Post
                      Better resume than Canelo. And he was blatantly robbed vs Tito, that was an easy 8-4 fight. No way on earth Tito legit won that fight.
                      Lol no British Bums in there or ppl coming up for 2 weight divisions or the odd Avni Yildirims lol.
                      Oracle01 Oracle01 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X