Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good is Oscar De La Hoya's resume as a ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is Oscar De La Hoya's resume as a ATG?

It's a similar topic as the Mayweather thread, he is currently a promoter who is overall not very liked by a large quantity of people however.

As a boxer, he was a Golden Olympian at age 19 and became six division champion from 130 up to 160, having gotten 11 titles in total in those divisions. How do you rate his career as a ATG?

He had a controversial close win over Whitaker, but also had a controversial loss to Trinidad and Mosley in the rematch.

Last edited by Feroz; 03-27-2024, 02:45 AM.

Overall record:

130>140

De La Hoya Record 1.jpg

140>160

De La Hoya Record 2.jpg

Remainder of his career from 160 down to 147.

De La Hoya Record 3.jpg

Comment

A good fighter with the establishment on his side. Not a legend, for me, but some of the results are undebatable. In my opinion he also lost the Ike Quartey fight. ATGs are a different breed - think, say, of Roberto Duran. It takes more than the mere stats to determine if a fighter is an ATG. In my view, De La Hoya is not.

Comment

I look at an ATG as in terms of can he be great in any era, Id say Oscar would do very well in any era of boxing, he had power speed a killer instinct and no fear.

Comment

Better resume than Canelo. And he was blatantly robbed vs Tito, that was an easy 8-4 fight. No way on earth Tito legit won that fight.

Comment

Good resume.

Boarderline ATG.
            charliepaerker charliepaerker likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
              A good fighter with the establishment on his side. Not a legend, for me, but some of the results are undebatable. In my opinion he also lost the Ike Quartey fight. ATGs are a different breed - think, say, of Roberto Duran. It takes more than the mere stats to determine if a fighter is an ATG. In my view, De La Hoya is not.
              Respect your opinion though I don't agree with most of it, after watching a razor close competitive fight with Ike Quartey, Oscar had taken over the championship rounds (10-12) having a knock down lead in the last round (both dropped each other before hand) while overwhelming Ike in the ropes, Quartey could had however just as easily won the fight. But the Champ just put more effort at the end.

De La Hoya fought competitively for the most part against a murderers row of fighters in Hernandez, Chavez Sr (declined but still dangerous), Camacho, Whitaker, Trinidad, Quartey, Mosley X2, Vargas, Pacquiao, Hopkins and Mayweather.

Then there also wins over tough fighters like Paez, Carr, Bredahl, Molina, Ruelas, Leija, Gatti, Gonzalez, Castillejo, Campas, Rivera, Sturm, Kamau and Mayorga. (11 out of 14 were champs, 3 were title contenders like Carr, Kamau and Rivera)

He might not have won all of his biggest fights at worst, and I wouldn't say he is the best fighter there was, but being the first six division champion by fighting a lot of proven fighters makes think he belongs in the list as he be able to compete at any era.

I think he is at least he is a borderline All time great at worst, specially when seeing the complete fighter he was at 140-147. He was also stopped only twice, first against Hopkins at 160 and second against Manny Pacquiao by dropping down to welterweight at the very end of his career.

I believe he lost to Felix Sturm , but then again Oscar didn't belong at 160.

Highlights by haNZAgod:
              Last edited by Feroz; 03-27-2024, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feroz View Post

Respect your opinion though I don't agree with most of it, after watching a razor close competitive fight with Ike Quartey, Oscar had taken over the championship rounds (10-12) having a knock down lead in the last round (both dropped each other before hand) while overwhelming Ike in the ropes, Quartey could had however just as easily won the fight.

De La Hoya fought competitively for the most part against a murderers row in Hernandez, Chavez Sr (declined but still dangerous), Camacho, Whitaker, Trinidad, Quartey, Mosley X2, Vargas, Hopkins and Mayweather.

Then there also wins over tough fighters like Paez, Carr, Bredahl, Molina, Ruelas, Leija, Gatti, Gonzalez, Castillejo, Campas, Rivera, Sturm, Kamau and Mayorga.

He might not have won all of his biggest fights, and I wouldn't say he is the best around, but being the first six division champion by fighting a lot of proven fighters makes think he belongs in the list. A least at the middle to lower end, specially when seeing the complete fighter he was at 140-147. He was overall stopped only twice, first against Hopkins at 160 and second against Manny Pacquiao by dropping down to welterweight at the very end of his career.

I believe he lost to Felix Sturm , but then again he didn't belong at 160.
                Oscar Sturm reminded of Canelo Bivol only youre right Oscar lost that, Sturm was very underrated and similar style to Bivol.
                El Escorpion Feroz likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle01 View Post
                  Better resume than Canelo. And he was blatantly robbed vs Tito, that was an easy 8-4 fight. No way on earth Tito legit won that fight.
                  LOL, this loser can't go one thread without mentioning Canelo. That's why you're OralBenny'sTaint01.

Comment

Not a fan but can’t argue that his is a Great resume. Thought he beat Tito but lost to Pernell.

Without question the best cross dressing boxer in history.

Comment

Working...
                    X