Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Trainer Ben Davison Insists Anthony Joshua's Improvements Are His Own

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pollywog View Post

Helenius was lined up at the last minute to give AJ some rounds then take one on the chin and fall over like he did for his bud Wilder.

The only hesitation was whether Big Bob would follow the script and give AJ the opportunity to uncork on him.

Fair play to Fast Eddie for cherry picking fights for AJ to build his rep and ego back up, but until he lines up a true legit contender - like the gauntlet of death rowers Parker has just run through in his last two outings - we still don't know if AJ is back or in his prime or whatever.

Ducking Wilder, Zhang, Parker and Hrgovic to expose the 'boxing' fraud Ngannou is means little despite Hearn's blowhardiness.
    Since you are a fan of Parker (I like him too), you should understand completely. It's similar to when we had to watch Joseph fight the like of Flores, Leapei, Shawndell Winters and Junior Fa and he looked absolutely dreadful. Just sticking a jab out there and and then falling in with a sloppy overhand right.

That was no gauntlet yet Parker looked terrible. Only when we saw him fight Chisora under Lee's tutelage did we see an improvement in his confidence, temperament and technique.

I like Parker but let's not forget after Joyce he fought a domestic level cruiserweight (and went the full distance), Faiga Opelu and Simon Kean (who was previously stopped by a Canadian club fighter). Parker has had two good wins, that's no gauntlet.
    ​​​
    I don't even like AJ but if you're going to hold him to a standard then be consistent and hold you're own man to it as well.
    Last edited by PBR Streetgang; 03-10-2024, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Ben is a good trainer and a nice bloke, but what did AJ improve - outpointing a guy he should have knocked out (Franklin)? Needed 7 rounds to KO Helenius who fought a week before? Wilder ended that man in less than one round. Don't exaggerate, we will truly see if AJ changed for the better when he faces some big opponent. And you can go with the usual reply "hater" only if you consider Franklin and Helenius big fighters. What I am saying is so far, AJ is more like the same AJ, which isn't bad (he is a very good fighter), but I can't say he's better at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by factsarenice View Post

You must have missed it because​ Ben brought Leigh Wood back to demoralized Lara, a one sided boxing clinic... and then Wood fainted Warrington into a 6 punch brain scrambler.
        Lara sucks he has no skills and still made Wood see Stars.
        factsarenice factsarenice likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by springfiels View Post

Ridiculous comment. All the GOAT trainers fighters have bad losses, I'll assume you're trolling for your sake.
          When AJ beats Usky let me know. Beating bums doesn't count or MMA fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post

Since you are a fan of Parker (I like him too), you should understand completely. It's similar to when we had to watch Joseph fight the like of Flores, Leapei, Shawndell Winters and Junior Fa and he looked absolutely dreadful. Just sticking a jab out there and and then falling in with a sloppy overhand right.

That was no gauntlet yet Parker looked terrible. Only when we saw him fight Chisora under Lee's tutelage did we see an improvement in his confidence, temperament and technique.

I like Parker but let's not forget after Joyce he fought a domestic level cruiserweight (and went the full distance), Faiga Opelu and Simon Kean (who was previously stopped by a Canadian club fighter). Parker has had two good wins, that's no gauntlet.
            ​​​
            I don't even like AJ but if you're going to hold him to a standard then be consistent and hold you're own man to it as well.
            Point taken!

However AJ's last 2 opponents were an MMA guy and his sparring partner; cherry picked more because they were Fury's sloppy seconds he took his time beating.

AJ could have picked Wilder to fight instead of Wallin He could then still have picked Wilder or Parker after Wilder lost. Zhang, Hrgovic, anyone was available but he went for the soft option of the hapless MMA guy.

Parkers jab and sloppy overhand right are leftovers from Kevin Barry's training where Joe needed elbow surgery to remove bone splints and couldn't throw a straight right.

They say everyone has a plan til they get punched in the face. Joe got punched in the face by a big banger in Zhang, dropped twice, got up and stuck to the plan.

Full credit to his team of Andy Lee and Gerorge Lockhart for conditioning and training Parker to overcome the pain and disruption.

2024 Parker is Prime Parker in the form of his life. He's earnt top contender status through his wins. His confidence and temperament are real.

AJ...meh, not so much.
            fifth_root fifth_root likes this.

Comment

AJ's last 2 opponents were an MMA guy and his sparring partner; cherry picked more because they were Fury's sloppy seconds he took his time beating.

AJ could have picked Wilder to fight instead of Wallin He could then still have picked Wilder or Parker after Wilder lost. Zhang, Hrgovic, anyone was available but he went for the soft option of the hapless MMA guy.

2024 Parker is Prime Parker in the form of his life. He's earnt top contender status through his wins. His confidence and temperament are real.

AJ...meh, not so much.
              An Alternative biased view would be ...
              ​​​​​
              Average Joe has just gone life and death with 2 guys with a combined age of around 80.

Wilder is now a happy clapper with no fighting instinct and Zhang turns like a Carnival cruise liner and has the gas tank of a Walmart weed wacker.

Personally I'd prefer to give both guys credit. How about you?

​​​​

Last edited by Mr WorldWide; 03-11-2024, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Nothing please haters.. everyone touted NGANNOU TO crush aj on account of fury performance. Where fury went life and death, AJ excelled yet he became a mma slough overnight. When he beat fury, u will say fury has passed his prime? When he beat usyx in 3rd fight, u will say what again? Learn to celebrate success or u get into the ring
                greeneye99 greeneye99 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
                  Lets keep it real for a little, bring on somebody better than Franklin, Helenius , Wallin or Ngannou to see these improvements.

Joshua had fought and beat legit contenders and even world champs in the past. he has fought 1 legit contender in his last 4 fights.
                  Word, if it took Usyk to expose Joshua the first time then it should take Usyk or better to expose an improved Joshua.
                  Flap Mr WorldWide likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Flap View Post

An Alternative biased view would be ...
                    ​​​​​
                    Average Joe has just gone life and death with 2 guys with a combined age of around 80.

Wilder is now a happy clapper with no fighting instinct and Zhang turns like a Carnival cruise liner and has the gas tank of a Walmart weed wacker.

Personally I'd prefer to give both guys credit. How about you?

​​​​
                    Full credit to AJ for showing Ngannou the canvas but let's not get carried away with the value of his success.

He did what he was supposed to do and beat up on a near 40yr old MMA guy with only one pro boxing fight to his credit.

It's more the fact that AJ chose not to fight Wilder or Zhang or Hrgovic or Parker and went after the clueless wannabe boxer MMA guy instead.

Comment

Full credit to AJ for showing Ngannou the canvas but let's not get carried away with the value of his success.

He did what he was supposed to do and beat up on a near 40yr old MMA guy with only one pro boxing fight to his credit.

It's more the fact that AJ chose not to fight Wilder or Zhang or Hrgovic or Parker and went after the clueless wannabe boxer MMA guy instead.

I don't think AJ has as much say in who he is fighting as you think. Turki gets what he wants and clearly he wanted to build the fight for a later date as part of the Riyadh schedule so he gave them both soft touches.
                      Unfortunately for Wilder, Joe hadn't read the script.

Had AJ fought Wilder, Joe would have been denied his career highlight win so there is a silver lining for you.​

It will all work itself out in the end.

Good luck to both guys.
                      Last edited by Mr WorldWide; 03-11-2024, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X